The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fixing lifter tick?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Fixing lifter tick?

Is there any type of valve adjustment I can have my mechanic do? Or do I have to upgrade all the lifters? I've tried the rislone and it only helped a little. Anything else I can try?

I switched to Castrol Syntec (full synthetic) 5W-30 motor oil/K&N oil filter and ive not heard lifter tick since. This was in my 3.0 but my buddy has the 2.4 and it helped just the same as mine. Keep in mind his was bad, it made the noise all the time where as mine was just on startup.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

i went to the dealer to have them check it out because mine ticked constantly, and they told me that with the condition mine were in, it would be better in the long run to get them replaced. i had been using castrol synthetic, but it didn't help.

You should replace all of them. I had to do this on my GTZ (160000mi) and discovered that the lash adjusters had start to come apart. The lash adjusters have what looks to be a plastic retainer. These had fallen apart and had clogged the oil holes on the top of the rocker arm.

just out of curiosity how much did you get charged to replace all of them?

$530 at the dealership. not exactly cheap.

i'd rather just swap to a dohc head.

Did it myself. Took all day due to the valve cover gasket being a real pain to get off. I heard there is a pray that will soften the rubber and make it easier to peal of the valve cover. I bought the lash adjusters at http://www.partsdinosaur.com/. They were about 5 bucks each.

Sea Foam your engine
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

i tried sea foam in mine it only worked for a week then it was back worse than ever but on everything else i swear by sea foam that shiz is amazing... mine has a really bad tick and i cant get it to go away eiather i havent tried the casotral syntec yet that was my next step

the other day i let my car rev at 2500 rpm for 3 minutes and the noise is considerably lower now, i'm not sure how long it will be but so for so good. i found this trick out by a old mechanic that works at a mitsu dealer. he told me the only time it doesnt really help is if one of the adjusters is bad and also make sure your oil isnt old. i'm curious on if this helps anyone else or if it just seemed to work for me.

if I use mobil 1 synthetic instead of castrol, there shouldn't much of a difference since they are both synthetic?

Quote Originally Posted by littlerick View Post
    the other day i let my car rev at 2500 rpm for 3 minutes and the noise is considerably lower now, i'm not sure how long it will be but so for so good. i found this trick out by a old mechanic that works at a mitsu dealer. he told me the only time it doesnt really help is if one of the adjusters is bad and also make sure your oil isnt old. i'm curious on if this helps anyone else or if it just seemed to work for me.
    My lifters tick too but after I drive my car for about an hour or so non stop then they will stop ticking for the rest of the day usaully.

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.

I wish these cars wernt so bad with that it is so annoying roll up to starbucks and thats all you hear tick tick tick tick lol i hate it.

^lol. Why don't you do yourself a favor then and park and go inside. I love the smell of when you step into starbucks...coffee just hits you as you walk in.

Quote Originally Posted by 99mitsu View Post
    I wish these cars wernt so bad with that it is so annoying roll up to starbucks and thats all you hear tick tick tick tick lol i hate it.
    yeah. i hated driving though my neighborhood with the windows down and hearing the tick echo off parked cars.

but worst tick i heard was when i was outside at work and heard a 4g eclipse coming through the drive-thru. must suck having tick on a new car like that.

Quote Originally Posted by DFX View Post
    yeah. i hated driving though my neighborhood with the windows down and hearing the tick echo off parked cars.

but worst tick i heard was when i was outside at work and heard a 4g eclipse coming through the drive-thru. must suck having tick on a new car like that.
    That used to kill me, the echo is the worst. I started to just turn my radio up. As far as that 4g It probably was just low on oil, or ragged the f out.

I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.