The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Resonator

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13
    Senior TGC Member

Resonator

I was looking into reinstalling a resonator when I get my headers to help quiet down my car. I like the old smooth tone of a 6 instead of my grumbling (not the sweet growling) of my current setup. Do you think the resonator alone will be able to do this job even with headers on? Will it be detrimental to performance to the point that I can notice it (3-4 hp loss max is tolerable for me). Any other steps I can take in quieting down the exhaust without hurting my performance too much, if any?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

i don't know how much u love your muffler but maybe the muffler might be your key, uhm you might want to get a quieter muffler or even a resonated tip if your muffler allows.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Senior TGC Member
    Hmm...I guess I could consider that, thanks for the tip.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

CNascimento
    PLease note that my shop looked at the set-up and told me that there wouldn't really be any power gain when taking out the resprator (so I don't think that you are going go loose any power putting it back in) Also if I'm not mistaken there are 2 resornators so why no just put one back and see how it sounds...

LET ME KNOW IT YOU have heard anything different

EsRacer
    Since I read on another thread that Cali Spec cars have a little less horsepower than the Fed Spec's, I was thinkin on takin off the resonators to free up the little horsepower they may hold back. You think that'll work?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EsRacer)</div><div class='quotemain'>Since I read on another thread that Cali Spec cars have a little less horsepower than the Fed Spec's, I was thinkin on takin off the resonators to free up the little horsepower they may hold back. You think that'll work?</div>
    Nah, the resonators aren't restrictive on the cali spec cars, the precats are. Thats what you need to remove to unleash a few horses.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Senior TGC Member
    Righties I'm gonna go ahead and ask that a resonator be put in...might help smooth out the tone a bit and perhaps quiet down my car in the process. What I find strange is why the newer brochures now list all V6 Galants as having 195 horses rather than 190...did they manage to find a way to kick up the hp while maintaining Cali spec emissions? If so that's kinda unfair to the old owners...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'>Righties I'm gonna go ahead and ask that a resonator be put in...might help smooth out the tone a bit and perhaps quiet down my car in the process. What I find strange is why the newer brochures now list all V6 Galants as having 195 horses rather than 190...did they manage to find a way to kick up the hp while maintaining Cali spec emissions? If so that's kinda unfair to the old owners...</div>

i wouldn't really fret cuz that 195 is at the flywheel so you will have some hp loss getting that power to the wheels

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

If you remove the precats, are there any problems with the SES light coming on? What does removing the precat consist of?
    Love,
    Matt

Senior TGC Member
    I have had no SES problems with my downpipe, and I've had it on for about 4 months now. I believe the light only comes on due to the main cat failing for some reason, i.e. the o2 sensors in front of and behind the cat for some reason reading the same (not cleaning the emissions). Removing the precats is just that I guess...not sure what you're asking. They're really heavy though, one of them alone is heavier than my entire downpipe. I didn't remove them myself, so I'm not quite sure which bolts come off, but it's sandwiched between the factory downpipe and the exhaust manifolds. Seeing as how you have the headers though I don't really think it's much of a problem...

galant2kde
    hey Rallifan if u decide to get a new muffler, can i buy your old one?

Senior TGC Member
    Hehe I suppose...I've already sold one of my old ones don't see why if I change again I can't sell you this one 8)

galant2kde
    k if u decide IM me KonicNinja (on AIM) let me know k thanks bro..