The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dual Throttle Body

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    99GalantOn18s

Dual Throttle Body

I read something about a dual throttle body once but I can't find the link. It had the 4G64 engine with 2 intakes on it. I'm thinkin about gettin one. What would the gains look like? I'm thinkin like 15 horses maybe... If anyone has this mod or knows more about it drop a message...

Experienced TGC Member
    Actualy I been itchin to get my hands on a junkyard intake manifold and TB to make the dual TB intake manifold, very simple idea. The actual site that sells both dual, quadroople, and 6 (whatever that is) throttlebody inakes is:

RPW- Race Performance Works
    http://rpw.com.au/New%20Website/MP001.htm

Throttle Body section of RPW:
    http://rpw.com.au/New%20Website/GeneralUpg...neral/GU211.htm
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

99GalantOn18s

^^^^

i see u have a 60mm throttle body... can u feel the difference? how much more power did u get from it? how exactly would u make a dual throttle body out of a manifold and TB???

Experienced TGC Member

Re: ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by 99GalantOn18s
    i see u have a 60mm throttle body... can u feel the difference? how much more power did u get from it? how exactly would u make a dual throttle body out of a manifold and TB???
    60mm tb yes big difference, if you go to my site you can see the datalogs befre and after of airflow with throttle position, huge difference in the amount of airflow coming in not so much you would need an afc of course, but more air always equals more power. I would say not more then 3, *maybe* 5hp depending on the condition of your engine.

As for dual TB, I gotta do somethin with my engineering degree lol. I have a wedling machine, my plan was cut off the other end of the intake straight down, so now you'll have an opening on both sides of the manifold, one side has the mountings for your real TB. The other side is a gaping hole I was just gona weld on the second TB. However that TB would have to have the butterfly removed and installed backwards so that spring is on the side where the tp sensor would be. In that way both springs would be on he same side of the intake manifold, and you simply have the throttle cable connect to the new added TB, from that one anoth steel line gets welded a little above where the throttle cable ball is, and that line runs to the Real throttlebody link. If you hit the gas, you'll pul open the new tb, that will pull open the original tb and there you go. Also the new TB would have to have the IAC removed, and the holes cmpletely plugged. Your idle will only be controlled by the original TB, the new one is there only for when you hit the gas pedal, AND it will NOT have a tps sensor on it, because again thats for the original.

Long, hope it makes sense.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

Damn Rob, I'm down with that. A little crude but makes perfect sense and sounds like it should work. Will be a tremendous airflow, and you'll have to find a way to filter the second one. I would almost gaurantee you'll throw an SES light without an AFC.

Make two, I'll be your mid-atlantic tester.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Experienced TGC Member
    Somehow I dont think the airflow will be something the ECU cant handle. Its not going to be under boost. I have an afc so im set to go

the second filter is a bit of a problem because theres no room to run tubes on that side, your belts and poop are there. I duno how RPW squeezed em in but something could be worked out. Unfortunetly until I find a new job non of this will actually be built lol.. Nice to know people are interested in my madness though, what rpw sells for $400 I could make for probably $100.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

BlankMan

Re: ^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by JiP
    ...from that one anoth steel line gets welded a little above where the throttle cable ball is, and that line runs to the Real throttlebody link. If you hit the gas, you'll pul open the new tb, that will pull open the original tb and there you go...
    That's a good practical plan. 1 suggestion - when you attach the two cables together, leave a small amout of slack on the secondary. If you adjust the set-up so the secondary TB does not contribute (i.e.; open) until a certain threshold, the car will keep good mpg and such for light driving, but will get the extra air when when the pedal is 1/3-1/4 push down. Does that make sense?

J

Experienced TGC Member
    Sounds like a damn good suggestion. As a matter of fact I think thats what RPW did, because I believe I remember reading that the second TB plate doesnt open until throttle is more then like 15-20%.

In my "cheapness" since I have my 52mm stock 4g64 tb left over from my swap, I was going to keep my 60mm on the real side and weld on the 52mm. So there would already be a lower intake of air from the second TB.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    How bout you make me a quad :lauging:

i can feel the power now ahhhhhhhh
    7g for life!

BlankMan
    I'm really diggin' the quad setup on RPW's site. Can't believe they fit it in a 1.5 though. Or maybe they didn't and that's whey there are not pics of the hood closed. Wonder if that would fit on the 2.4 without mods tothe hood...

J

Experienced TGC Member
    Ah doesnt look that much higher then stock, the DOHC head suposed to fit fine under the hood, nd that is i think 3/4" higher then the stock, if that clears the quads should clear. A lil pricey though $1600+ =[
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon