The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: problem with subs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21

problem with subs

I have a 2 channel RF amp and 2 mtx subs in my daily.
    both subs work. I have hooked ipod right up to the amp and both subs thump.
    but with the RCAs from the Headunit to the amp I can only get one sub to work at a time. I have tried to swap the cable from left to right at the amp and I get the other sub to work. I thought it was a problem with the RCAs themselves so I replaced those. And no change. Anyone have any ideas?
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Check and see if the AMP is as a switch for MONO and stereo. It is also possible that the headunit has the same feature, so make sure it is switched to stereo.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Check and see if the AMP is as a switch for MONO and stereo. It is also possible that the headunit has the same feature, so make sure it is switched to stereo.
    hmm I didn't see anything like that on the amp. I saw left and right gain. I saw another knob forgot what that said. And there was a 3 position switch forgot what that one said also. I will take a look again when I am off on Wednesday or Thursday. Didn't notice on the headunit though, I will definitely look for that in the AM when I drive home. thanks Dave

2001 Galant ES

Maybe the RCA outputs on your headunit is bad you could try switching the wires on that instead, from left to right, and see what you come up with.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone View Post
    hmm I didn't see anything like that on the amp. I saw left and right gain. I saw another knob forgot what that said. And there was a 3 position switch forgot what that one said also. I will take a look again when I am off on Wednesday or Thursday. Didn't notice on the headunit though, I will definitely look for that in the AM when I drive home. thanks Dave
    the switch with 3 positions would be your filter. so off, hpf, and lpf. if there is nothing on your deck showing mono/stereo and it isn't the rca's, then it could possibly be a bad pre-out on the back of the deck. i have seen this happen with line out converters.

Quote Originally Posted by paparishi90 View Post
    Maybe the RCA outputs on your headunit is bad you could try switching the wires on that instead, from left to right, and see what you come up with.
    forgot to mention I had tried this as well when I swapped out the the RCAs and no luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    the switch with 3 positions would be your filter. so off, hpf, and lpf. if there is nothing on your deck showing mono/stereo and it isn't the rca's, then it could possibly be a bad pre-out on the back of the deck. i have seen this happen with line out converters.
    yep thats what was on that 3way switch. So bascially the headunit is shot then LOL. I have 2 others that I would try out, but I would need some time to do it as the previous owner clipped the wires behind the headunit instead of just getting a wiring harness. I actually attempted to swap the headunit out before as the one that is there now is a pioneer and the other 2 I have are the same. But go figure the power plug would be different.
    Is this a bad idea, to just use a y adapter and split the signal from the functioning RCA to the left and right on the amp?

2001 Galant ES

that'll work for a quick solution

that'll work for a quick solution
    cool. And I wont cause any harm to anything?

2001 Galant ES

nope. i've had to use this scenario on a few installs myself, partially due to some people just being cheap and not getting a deck with 3 pre-outs or some decks only have one rca plug for the subs not 2

nope. i've had to use this scenario on a few installs myself, partially due to some people just being cheap and not getting a deck with 3 pre-outs or some decks only have one rca plug for the subs not 2
    ah okay. thanks for your help. Now just gotta wait until I am at my dads on Wednesday or Thursday to grab a y adapter from there

2001 Galant ES

so I didnt have much time over the last 2 days to look into the problem too much. But I did just split the one RCA that was working and ran it to both left and right input at the amp and I have both subs working now. The switch on the amp that I wasnt sure of says LP, HP and OFF. High Power, Low Power?
    also question. A coworker was telling me that there should only be 1 sub output on the back of the headunit. I have to double check when I pull mine out again. But then what are the left and right RCAs hooked up to back there? I have never seen that before. Because then it should have just been hooked up how I did it the other day. And it was never like that and both subs have worked in the past.

2001 Galant ES

there would be a left and a right (so white and red) for your sub out, front out, and rear out. there are very few decks that have only one out for a sub and it is usually jensen or phase linear decks. as for the lp, hp, and off, have it on lp.

there would be a left and a right (so white and red) for your sub out, front out, and rear out. there are very few decks that have only one out for a sub and it is usually jensen or phase linear decks. as for the lp, hp, and off, have it on lp.
    okay thats what I thought. This is pioneer deck. I will have to double check when I pull the deck out again to see what they say. I have mine on off. that seemed to have sounded the best. I guess I will need to play with it more. Also while playing around with the radio. I came across these settings. I mean I always knew they were there, but guess this would be a good opportunity to find out exactly what they are
    HPF with options of 50 63 80 100 and 125 and off and only when off is selected I get this option in sounds
    fie 100 160 and 250 and off and only if that is off do I get the HPF

as far as the harness coming from the car itself for the radio. Where do you think I could find one of these so I can do this once and forall and then just be able to wire up harness to another radio without having to hardwire again

2001 Galant ES

you sure the one with 50, 63, 80, 100, and 125 isn't lpf?

as far as correcting someone's screw up, get the harness from metra, 71-7001. that harness will turn it back into the factory plug, then you'll just need the 70-7001 to plug into it.

as far as correcting someone's screw up, get the harness from metra, 71-7001. that harness will turn it back into the factory plug, then you'll just need the 70-7001 to plug into it.
    pretty sure. I will double check when I get out of work.
    I have the 70-7001 but thats exactly what I was looking for the 71-7001. About how long you think the wires are that come out of that harness? 6" or so?
    thanks

2001 Galant ES

i saw 4" at most

i saw 4" at most
    damn that should be fun to replace LOL

2001 Galant ES

High Pass and Low Pass filters generally use the same frequency range. I.e. 50hz, 63hz, 80hz, 100hz, and 125hz. They just simply operate opposite each other, one filtering above frequencies out, on filtering below frequencies out. Pretty simple really.

just to update this. I removed the headunit yesterday and installed the one that I used to have in my 8G. And everything is working fine now. What a much better headunit too. The difference is night and day.

2001 Galant ES

Quote Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone View Post
    just to update this. I removed the headunit yesterday and installed the one that I used to have in my 8G. And everything is working fine now. What a much better headunit too. The difference is night and day.
    glad to hear it man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast