The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Evo 8 Ecu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 41

Evo 8 Ecu

Ok so I've been looking around on the forums for hours now and i know that many have used the evo 8 ecu vs emange, aem ems, etc. Well i called up boomslang and apparently they make an evo 8 harness for the 8g galant. I did do the 5 speed swap so i don't really want to go through the hassle of doing the dual ecu setup, though that is a pretty good option for auto galants. So if i purchase the boomslang harness is it pretty much just plug and play? Also do i have to get an evo 8 immobilizer so the ecu will actually run? Just for clarification i am going to be turbo very very soon... i know i put it off for a year but i didn't have the time... plus the state of kansas is offering to pay 40% of what it cost to convert my car to e85 which covers any ecu, tuning and fuel related upgrades :) Anyways I would appreciate it if i could get a solid response to these questions. Most of the threads hinted these ideas but were directed to other subjects. Thanks!

if boomslang makes a conversion harness from auto galant to evo8, then yes, it will be plug and play for you.

I used to run the HKS F-Con in my car but swapped over to the Evo ECU because
    1) I didnt like having to go to the tuner everytime I added/wanted to add something
    2) there are more tuners around that can flash a evo ecu than tune the HKS.
    3) If Evos still keep their stock ECUs for up to 500hp, then its good enough for me

Thanks, that clears some murky waters for me, though I still do have a couple more questions...
    Did you have any problems with the immobilizer on the evo 8 ecu and do you completely swap out your 8g galant ecu for the evo 8 ecu or run them together, assuming that you are 5 speed. Also there should not be a difference between the evo 5 speed and the evo 6 speed ecu's correct?
    Last edited by paparishi90; 07-28-2009 at 12:11 AM

you'll need to flash the ecu to erase the immobilizer code. it will NOT start if you dont.

no difference in the ecu's.

btw, the boomslang harness is great but you'll want to double check the connections. (i've heard of a few being wired incorrectly.)
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

Experienced TGC Member
    isnt the 03 m/t eclipse ecu pretty much the same as the evo 8 ecu?
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

This is great for me I'm running my setup w a afc neo and it sucks so bad it serves its duty but I would love to flash but never did cause I'm auto..any idea on the price for this harness and the difficulty level?? Any more info would be appreciated...
    Wars come and go but my soldiers stay eternal...

You should definately look into wiring up dual ECUs Scout. I am still auto. Car runs almost like stock now and thats with just an hour of street tuning. I'm sure with a real tuner and a few more hours, everything will be dialed in.

Look for posts by Johnathansgalant for how to wire up dual ECUS and look on evom forum on how to tune yourself. John helped me wire up the dual ecu harness and also extended the wires so the evo ecu can be tucked away.

It took about 15 hours for the dual ecu harness to be made. I had bought a 8g extension harness ($200) and then a evo8 extension harness ($100). The evo8 harness was cut in half and the wires extened about 18" and then spliced into the galant harness. the galant ecu is in the stock location and the evo ecu is tucked behind the carpet near the center console.

Well the boomslang harness is actually a lot more than their other harnesses, it cost 350 for the galant to evo 8 ecu... Is there any specific year of evo 8's that i should try to get my ecu from?

qnz good to know your almost running stock thats more of what im looking for.. Im not too technical with the wiring and so on, and about a 110% chance of me messing something up... Hopefully this harness does the trick to cut down on the wiring and so on.. as for the tuning part up here in orlando I have a few options.. jestr tuning is up here and does alot of evo's and Central florida turbo who originally tuned my car.. Im just so aggrevated with the afc man.. alot of delays cant do nothing w timing car chokes every once in a while. I barely drive the G anymore cause of this.. I was actually thinking about going back to all motor until this got me motivated again.. Ive been looking for a 5spd swap but up here they rape cars before they even touch the junkyards. ive read alot of jonathans posts and seems squared away...
    Wars come and go but my soldiers stay eternal...

Well I got my tranny swap stuff from Florida and i'm in Kansas :) but what you can do is check out car-part.com and find the tranny and see if the junkyard will send you all the parts for the swap but make sure you get the motor mount for the tranny too... and also the shifter cables etc... but anyways is there any
    specific year of evo 8 ecu i need, sorry to sound pressing but i didn't want the question to get lost in my response.

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    I believe 03-05 will do, the 06 evo have a MIVAC engine which makes things a little different. But is there a way around to have MIVAC work with our engines??? I think I found someone that knows how to change up the harness and have the evo 9 ems from AEM work with our motors. But im not sure yet so lets now go nuts...

just get an evo 8 ecu! I just bought one on evo m for 200 bucks
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

was that from bertune? i got mine from him on evom for 160 shipped :?
    oh well... and to the OP, yes. the Boomslang harness for us is 360 shipped. I'll take pics of my evo ECU connected to my harness after i get home from work.

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

Sweet thanks guys... and here is a tutorial i found on evom to get rid of the immobilizer code on the evo ecu's. Its for a lancer oz swap but, correct me if i'm wrong, the initial steps should be the same.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/lancer-...wap-works.html

oh ya and run, did you have any problems with the wiring from boomslang, Cali said a few wires were switched around.

my setup's no hooked up yet
    i'll do a quick rundown on the matching wires. Both Cali and GOOSEY2099 confirmed a few wirs are usually out of place when shipped.

the comparison list is over at club3G, johnathansgalant and Cloudinc00 wrote up the tutorial.
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/rs-gs/11...w-diagram.html
    harness-wise it's good, was able to connect all harness to respective ECUs

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd

I will go out on a limb and say any year evo8 ECU will work. There are different ROM IDs between the years for evo 8s but you can flash different roms than what your original ecu is shipped with. I dont even remember what my original rom ID was. Just pick a rom ID that has Tephra support for his useful mods.

$200 is a bit expensive for the Evo ECU. I picked mine up maybe 3 months ago for $110. My friend was selling her ecu for $50 a month ago.

My galant boomslang harness was all correct. Maybe they had a new guy building Gooseys? hehe.

I think I read something that the Eclipse manual connector is the same as the evo connector. There are a couple of pins that would need to be swapped. If that is true, you can but a eclipse auto -> eclipse manual harness and save a few bucks. I think theyre $250 instead of the $350 for the galant auto -> evo 8 harness. But look on C3G to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Scout4g64t View Post
    Im just so aggrevated with the afc man.. alot of delays cant do nothing w timing car chokes every once in a while. I barely drive the G anymore cause of this.. I was actually thinking about going back to all motor until this got me motivated again.
    this was me 1 month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    My galant boomslang harness was all correct. Maybe they had a new guy building Gooseys? hehe.

I think I read something that the Eclipse manual connector is the same as the evo connector. There are a couple of pins that would need to be swapped. If that is true, you can but a eclipse auto -> eclipse manual harness and save a few bucks. I think theyre $250 instead of the $350 for the galant auto -> evo 8 harness. But look on C3G to be sure.
    damn, wish i knew about that before getting the harness

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    I will go out on a limb and say any year evo8 ECU will work. There are different ROM IDs between the years for evo 8s but you can flash different roms than what your original ecu is shipped with. I dont even remember what my original rom ID was. Just pick a rom ID that has Tephra support for his useful mods.

$200 is a bit expensive for the Evo ECU. I picked mine up maybe 3 months ago for $110. My friend was selling her ecu for $50 a month ago.

this was me 1 month ago.
    that's correct, any evo8 ecu will work. (the 9 will NOT work; plugs are even different)

another option is to just find a 3g manual ecu..works exactly the same once you flash it with an evo ROM and should be cheaper.
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

so I'm a tiny bit confused, I'm planning on running dual ecu and staying auto as long as humanly possible, do I need the boomslang harness for the galant and that's it?
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast