The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Why the heck is this alarm so much cheaper!?

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Why the heck is this alarm so much cheaper!?

So I'm planning on getting an alarm installed and from what I gathered here after searching is that Viper and Clifford are the best bet.

Well, I don't want to spend a crap ton of money, but for fun I wanted to see their newest alarm set-up:

Viper 5901 Responder LC3 SuperCode SST 2-Way Security and Remote Start System5702V

FOR $650!

For some odd reason, I wanted to check amazon of this same item and I couldn't believe it. The same alarm costs $224.

What's the deal, is this an open item sale or something? Feedback on what you guys think about this alarm would be cool too. I kind of like the idea of a rechargeable mini USB plug.

i'd stay away from 1 mile range alarms, my viper 5900 and 5901 burned out after a year, viper didnt wanna replace it so im stuck with 2 $400+ alarms that dont work

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    i'd stay away from 1 mile range alarms, my viper 5900 and 5901 burned out after a year, viper didnt wanna replace it so im stuck with 2 $400+ alarms that dont work
    Wow, thanks for letting me know. Either way though, my next plan was to get this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Viper-Responde...8827937&sr=1-1

On amazon it's $135 while on Viper it's $300. This one looks like a pretty good alarm to me. I'm pretty sure it has 1/4 mile range or 1500 ft. Plus it doesn't have remote start which I don't really need/want. Look like a good deal/ good alarm?

Here's the link to Viper's site
    http://viper.com/P-3305V/Viper+Respo...ecurity+System
    Last edited by spardavr4; 07-29-2009 at 10:27 AM

My 5900 is working fine for 2 yrs. I just upgraded to the 5901.

The $600 price is retail. Your car cant tell the difference between the $600 one and the $240 Viper.

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    My 5900 is working fine for 2 yrs. I just upgraded to the 5901.

The $600 price is retail. Your car cant tell the difference between the $600 one and the $240 Viper.
    Haha I know but I was just wondering why there was such a sharp decrease in price.

So, out of those two that I posted, should I buy the 5901 or the 350? What I like about the 5901 is that you can recharge it instead of having to switch batteries out all the time. The remote also looks much smaller. I don't care much for the remote start.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    clifford and viper are the same company...DEI. I have the python 991 (DEI as well) which is the same as the viper 5901. I love it and bought mine for about $350 on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    clifford and viper are the same company...DEI. I have the python 991 (DEI as well) which is the same as the viper 5901. I love it and bought mine for about $350 on ebay.
    Viper 5901 it is then. Thanks guys.

retail price includes installation since for the alarm to be under warranty, it has to be installed by an authorized dealer.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    retail price includes installation since for the alarm to be under warranty, it has to be installed by an authorized dealer.
    So if I were to buy this and bring it to an authorized dealer, they would charge me the remaining amount? I was planning on just bringing it to the Mitsubishi Dealer. The mechanic and Service Desk Manager are good friends of mine so they always give me discounts.

Quote Originally Posted by spardavr4 View Post
    So if I were to buy this and bring it to an authorized dealer, they would charge me the remaining amount? I was planning on just bringing it to the Mitsubishi Dealer. The mechanic and Service Desk Manager are good friends of mine so they always give me discounts.
    if u don't buy it from them then the warranty isn't honored.

as for labor rates, that will vary from shop to shop so shop around before you purchase. I was in your situation a few months ago and for me at least, the price was about the same if not cheaper just to get it through the VIPER dealer. I did pay retail price but I also got a few extras thrown in for free.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

TGC Regular
    I've talked to a local Viper retailer, and they confirmed what was posted above. The retail price includes installation at an authorized dealer. Confirm that the warranty will not be honored if not installed by an authorized dealer. Also, when you bring it to an authorized shop you will be charged an additional fee for not purchasing from them. So you'll come out about the same as buying it retail, unless you got some hook ups.

Quote Originally Posted by spardavr4 View Post
    So I'm planning on getting an alarm installed and from what I gathered here after searching is that Viper and Clifford are the best bet.

Well, I don't want to spend a crap ton of money, but for fun I wanted to see their newest alarm set-up:

Viper 5901 Responder LC3 SuperCode SST 2-Way Security and Remote Start System5702V

FOR $650!

For some odd reason, I wanted to check amazon of this same item and I couldn't believe it. The same alarm costs $224.

What's the deal, is this an open item sale or something? Feedback on what you guys think about this alarm would be cool too. I kind of like the idea of a rechargeable mini USB plug.
    because the bulk of the cost is the installation when you go to a shop to get it done. But you get a warranty at a shop. At my shop we offer a lifetime warranty on installations. Viper is good but they only offer a 1 year warranty where as Prestige (audiovox) offers a lifetime warranty on all parts at a comparable price.
    good luck.
    if you plan on doing it yourself, I can give you all the wiring information on your car if you want,
    just let me know.

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
    because the bulk of the cost is the installation when you go to a shop to get it done. But you get a warranty at a shop. At my shop we offer a lifetime warranty on installations. Viper is good but they only offer a 1 year warranty where as Prestige (audiovox) offers a lifetime warranty on all parts at a comparable price.
    good luck.
    if you plan on doing it yourself, I can give you all the wiring information on your car if you want,
    just let me know.
    incorrect. if you buy a DEI product and installation from an authorized DEI dealer, there is a 1 year warranty on the REMOTES but a lifetime on the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    incorrect. if you buy a DEI product and installation from an authorized DEI dealer, there is a 1 year warranty on the REMOTES but a lifetime on the brain.
    Yes they do but after a year you have to take the brain out and send it to them, it takes them weeks to get it back to you and with audiovox they just give you a new one and send the old one back.
    Audiovox gives you a lifetime on everything even the remotes. Not saying viper isn't great, it is. But remotes go bad all the time. especially two way remotes.
    I think DEI makes neater toys too.
    but audiovox does clearly have a better warranty
    but I'm sure you will tell me I'm wrong about that too, even though I'm a viper and prestige dealer.
    clearly your just always right wether you have the facts or not.

Experienced TGC Member OMEGA PHX's Avatar

^^^ Damn guys you just need to stop fighting on each thread you post just Chill the F*ck out.

4g64T 5spd

Quote Originally Posted by OMEGA PHX View Post
    ^^^ Damn guys you just need to stop fighting on each thread you post just Chill the F*ck out.
    I'm not fighting with anyone
    Sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

I had the remote with l.e.d display and all that stuff. It kept breaking, and each time it was at least 120.00 for a new one. so I used product number on the back and searched a lot and found an old normal keychain that works, but does not have the l.e.d display the part number for this new one is.

EZSDEI472 this one is only one way, but it still works and is just easier to keep around so I did not mind paying 60.00 for it. look around and find the cheapest you can.