The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Disappearing coolant and oil leak:/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 23

Disappearing coolant and oil leak:/

Lately I've been losing a lot of coolant. I fill up the overflow tank and radiator before I leave and I go out for a 20-30 min drive and then the car starts to overheat. I check the car and both radiator and overflow tank are empty. I've looked for leaks while running the car on idle and nothing. What could it be?

There's also this leak I've found. Someone told me what the problem was in Spanish but couldn't translate it:/

http://i27.tinypic.com/eukorm.jpg

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    is there any smoke coming out your exhaust while driving or between shifts?
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

check your oil level! i bet you its a little high and a bit milky. change your oil too that filter looks like it been there way to long.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

no smoke at all but I do smell a really strong smell of burning fuel.

Oil is clean and correct level, not milky colored at all. I need to change out the filter, bought a mobil 1 but I haven't had time to change it out.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    You definitely have a leak...looks like oil but can't tell if its mixed with coolant.

You are losing ALOT of coolant..couldn't imagine you burning all the coolant w/o feeling the car run like crap.

Are you sure there are no leaks? Its very possible that you are leaking from on spot..and the coolant is running down another part and actually leaking off in another area.

You are smelling that strong fuel smell because since you are running really hot...the ECU is dumping a crap load of fuel to compensate for the high temp readings its getting from the coolant temp sensor.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

It's not mixed with coolant

The car does run like crap, not complete crap, but it does run like crap

I've checked all over, I have not seen any signs on leaks or water spots indicating leaks

Could it be the water pump?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    damn that oil filter looks bad

The leak on top is either head gasket or front camshaft seal. On the bottom it looks like oil pan and front crankshaft seals. I just recently had an overheating issue, but i got it resolved quickly - it was low on coolant and it was pretty brown/old/.

Drain your radiator, change the thermostat, flush the whole system with a hose, put fresh coolant.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

should both radiator fans turn on?

only if you have the AC on

Build Thread

Ok just wanted to make sure that wasnt a problem.

Could the water pump cause my coolant to disappear,

only if it leaks. water pump leaks are noticeable - it will drip a lot, like youd be able to see it drippin while idling

Build Thread

Ok just wanted to make sure that wasnt a problem.

Could the water pump cause my coolant to disappear,

Ok so the water pump is out of question.

Could any of the seal leaks be contributed the the coolant vanashing

id bet your coolant was old. i drove for 3 years w/o looking at it and it was very low. have changed you coolant recently?

Build Thread

fill the coolant up and fill up ur gas -- idle ur car and check underneath for 15 minutes -- if ur coolant is disappearing so fast and u dont see if falling on the floor or burning up on top of ur engine then its internal and u gotta rip it apart.. How do you know ur filling it up and how do u know ur radiator is empty???? Just because the resevoir is empty doesnt mean the radiator is... Maybe u have crazy air in ur system.. Start the car with the coolant cap removed, let the car idle and add coolant or water... Fill it untill it doesnt go down anymore and let it run for a few minutes.. See if any air bubbles come up.. If after a few minutes the level stays the same or no air bubbles come out put the cap back on and let it idle --- check for leaks.. ***dont open the radiator cap when the engine is already hot and u just turned it off it will spray hot coolant at you. Wait awhile till its cold enough to open the cap then start the car..
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

My rpms are idling at 1500 thats because the mechanic riased it cause it was idling too low and it will stall. i fill the coolant up everyday. The mechanic said it caould be that i have a crack in my intake hose or the iac.

I will do this tomorrow and see if it has any air bubbles and let you know.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    you should get a new mechanic if he raised your RPMs so the car wouldn't stall...as to just cover up the symptom of a bigger/another problem
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    is your coolant 50/50 or did you add water yourself? And like Chris said it looks like you need a valve cover, front and rear main seals, oil pan gasket, new oil filter, oil change.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast