The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: electrical issues

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

electrical issues

so for a while now my radio is not keeping its memeory when i turn off the vehicle. every time i get in it the clock has reset itself and the audio settings and what not have too. then the other day i noticed that the trip computer is resetting itself every time i turn the vehicle off as well. and also, this may not be related but around the same time the lights under the sun visors stoped working. any ideas? i checked the battery connection and its a bit corodded but not too bad. and i pulled the radio and with the car off i'm still reading a current draw on one wire when i hook up my voltmeter.

Fuse under your hood. Check the red 10 A fuse that's inside a yellow plastic case. Should be two red fuses in there, one of them might be blown.

thanks, i'll take a look. where exactly is it located?

Black box on driver side right next to the battery.

Experienced TGC Member
    Along with checking the fuse, I would suggest cleaning up those battery terminals, and check the ground cable connections from the battery to ensure where they are connecting to is also a clean connection.

One thing I have done for a very long time (started when I lived in MN), is to place a light film of DiElectric grease on the terminals to repel any moisture building up on them. You can get the DiElectric grease at any parts store.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

checked them, they are both reading about .5 ohms so they are good. this is driving me nuts!!

there is some of that white corrosion on the battery terminals, i cleaned it up about a month ago but its starting to come back.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumotors View Post
    there is some of that white corrosion on the battery terminals, i cleaned it up about a month ago but its starting to come back.
    If that is starting to come back then you should really purchase a new battery. That is basically the battery acid leaking from around the terminals or the caps on the battery.If you can afford to purchase a new battery pick up an Optima Red top, they run for about $150 which isn't bad with a lifetime warranty.

Also check the voltage at the battery terminal with the car off. Then check the voltage again with the car running. Let us know what you find.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumotors View Post
    off 12.47v
    running 14.53v
    That is a good sign then...at least the battery is still good with voltage, and the alternator is still charging the system. If the battery is leaking/corroding around the terminals constantly, the voltage could be dropped or be a sign of a dead battery running off the alternator. Since you have a good 12v signal at the battery, and increased voltage with the alternator running then both components are still sufficient.

I would start checking ground, or even power cables that may have the insulation cracked, or possibly even a broken wire.

www.blackheartmotors.net