The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: There goes my turbo.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 61
    I didn't want to post a new topic, cuz really it is related to this one, so let me go ahead and ask somebody a question.

Who had his hooked up his SAFC correctly with running no problems with it???????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????
    Any hints on that one???
    The reason I am asking is , cuz I spoke with JR (an engineer at the Horsepower.com) and he said that unfortunatelly SFAC and 4g64 doesn't go in pai, nut he didn't say it directly. I guess he meant that after install he didn't have a luck with it. AK1- please tell me what he meant.
    Anyone, he suggusted stand alone unit ( which I will never be able to afford) and that put me down again.... :cry:
    Anyway, for those who have 4g64s, please let me know how the SFAC does it job done....
    Also, anyone with the Greddy E-manage systems installed on his
    4g64???
    Check out my ride at:
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/djgalant

The only 8g west cost 4g64 Turboed Galant.

AK1
    Hey DJ Galant,

Cheer up bro. Don't be too upset over it. The S-AFC will work, but it's not as effective or as responsive as a stand alone EMS. I am unfamiliar with GReddy's system because I have no experience with it, but it should be very similiar to all the other EMS/PMS out there.

JR said that because his goal is to basically get a 14.7 a/f all across the board or at least as close as possible. With the S-AFC, your job is going to be very hard. Plus, what he means is that if in the future you are going to be buying a Boost Controller, Turbo Timer, Nos Controller, Ignition Timing Control, A/F Controller, then you might as well buy a stand-alone and have it all plus you get full programming capabilities. It's just more effective, efficient and way more responsive if you're trying to get high horsepower and want your car to run just as good in idle as it would at high boost safely. You just need to have a trained professional to do it, don't give that kind of job to just anybody.

Just like the OBD II problem, the only true way to tune it would be to go with a stand-alone or revert back to OBD 1. Also one reason why you should purchase a 95 under Supra for example because 96 onwards they switched to OBD II. Also, they stopped using the 6-speed tranny...but that's a diff story. Computers get harder to trick and work with as they get quicker and more efficient. Technically, it's a good thing as it keeps you from hurting your motor, but when you are trying to get more HP and do big custom work on it, it's not your best friend. So we just rather junk the stock ECU and run our own.

To sum it up, the S-AFC will work ok but you aren't going to get your car running to it's fullest potential.

tomorrow the car is taken to the shop....will let u know what's up when the head is gonna be out........
    Check out my ride at:

I know absolutely nothing about Turbos, but let me know if what I'm thinking could be true. The problems with DJ Galant's car started when he put his new exhaust system on, so could it be that the computer wasn't reading the proper air flow due to a misplaced sensor or something, therefore caused the engine to run too lean?

AK1
    Possible indeed David. In fact, we have seen damage to cars with exhausts completely removed due to different factors like cold air rushing back in and causing bends and pretty serious damage once the car is shut off. I wouldn't consider it to be out of the ordinary, rare but very possible. Also, believe it or not but we have seen damage due to overheating when the exhaust is removed because of the excess heat that is not transferred to the rear and out of the car.

for those who follow here is some updates.
    Head was taken out, and here is the problem - piston ( i would call it number 4, cuz is the one on the very right when looking on it when you open your hood) is chipped and melted. The good news is that there is no signs of sctratches on the block....
    Also the head is all right....was tested at the local machine shop (one of the valves though is a little bended (but as they said, is in normal condition). Though I am assuming there had to be some kind of detonation cuz my piston is bed.
    There is two options:
    Option A:
    get stock piston, head gasket, replace it,
    or
    OPTION B:
    get JE pistons (all four of them) and rings, get true mitsu head gasket ( i heard that as far as the aftermarket ones they really suck), replace it, get EGT, SFAC, Air/fuel ratio and put it back together and tune it..........

Option B seems to be more smarter way to go, once my head is out.......
    Unfortunatelly Option B =$$$$, and right now I am really out of cash....

What do you guys think all about it...

I will take some pics as soon as I borrow dig. cam from Leo (he is in Diego now).....
    AK1 - how much did u pay for your psitons and rings...????
    Check out my ride at:

Figgured it was a piston that got poped. Well, I would put the pistons in if you can. Rods too if that is possible. JE has pistons turned down to 8.5 compression. With all the little extras like an FPR and AFC you could turn the ol boost up untill the tranny dies. I would try to do it now though. Look at what it would cost to do all of this again.

Wes
    Another fine post brought to you By:
    The Man™
    Search the boards first please!

cdaw2001ES
    I don't think our motor has rods?. It's SOHC, just a Cam, rockers and Valves.

BlueESV6
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cdaw2001ES)</div><div class='quotemain'>I don't think our motor has rods?. It's SOHC, just a Cam, rockers and Valves.</div>

I think he means connecting rods..... been enjoying this thread and trying to learn the turbo lingo.

Here's a silly/ ignorant question. Why can't we just take the turbo parts off of an eclipse setup? It's factory and tested. Are they real different or big $$$$?

Also what is the HP difference (gain) between factory non-turbo and factory turbo (I4 & V6)?

i had that discussion before i got mine 16g...at firs that is what i thought...get the eclipse setup and i am done.
    Discussion ( wish it was here, it was posted on the "old" delated board) provided some very important infos, I concluded to stay away from t-25 (85-99 eclipse/talon). I know 14b is all right though (91-94 talon/eclipse).
    The intercoolers on talon suck ass, too ( not only they are side mounted).
    Besides, all the piping (for example upper intercooler pipe )has to be done custom....
    The only thing I have out of eclipse is the Exhaust Manifold and
    4G63T O2 Sensor Housing.....
    Here is the best web site found about 4g64 turbo:
    this web site is the bomb....
    http://www.4g64.150m.com/turbo.html
    Join the 4g64 group,too.
    Thanks to that web, I learned a lot of shit, and found lot more information about our cars.........I found out also that we (4g64) have the same rods as 4g63t....that's really cool.
    Check out my ride at:

Martin,
    When do you get your car back from Tony?

Matt
    Love,
    Matt

just ordered pistons today, gotta wait till they come, then put it back togethr , install some other parts, and that's it. I don't know excact date though.....hopefully next week.
    Check out my ride at:

Thank you AK1 for doing me a favor with the pistons....

For the rest of you guys, I can tell you that it was a bitch to get my pistons. All of the companies around that I had called, told me that waiting time is 3 to 4 weeks. Imagine waiting 3-4 weeks for your only car that you have!!!!
    Fortunately, Andrew (AK1) had an extra set of pistons and rings, that they were supposed to sell to somebody, but thanks to him he asked that person if I can get buy them of him and fortunately everything went smooth.
    Sweet....
    Just waiting for the pistons now....the are somewhere on the way to Vegas....
    I will let you know what is going on later on...
    Check out my ride at:

Senior TGC Member
    Man...have you read the current issue of Car and Driver where they test all the tuner cars? Seems a turboed IS 300 had your problem too...knocked out a cylinder when it ran too lean, didn't get much of a chance to show off its power.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

My problem wasn't running too lean, though.
    As Tony spoke with Dough's Dynopwer, the problem was defeniatly caused by the hot spark plugs that I had installed.
    Also, is there a link on their web (caranddriver), so that I can read about it???
    What's is the name of the article, and excately what number of the Car and Driver is it (August or September issue)??
    Check out my ride at:

Did you get your car back yet? The AFC should be in soon. If you need it sooner I will give you mine then take the one I ordered.

Let me know or call me.
    Matt
    Love,
    Matt

Just talked to Tony, pistons are installed, but i am waiting for my motor head that is in the machine shop (they replace the valve) and then he is going to put it back together, install the gauges, safc and then tune it...
    i hope everything is going to be all right...
    Check out my ride at:

I'll see you this morning Martin when you pick up the AFC.
    FloDogg should be here, I am clearing his lights for him around 10.
    Bring breakfast.

Matt
    Love,
    Matt

new update:
    pisons that were installed are sticking of the engine block, about 1/4 of an inch....................it is bad............................................... ..........................................
    we trying to find solution (like bigger head gasket) and the cause (possible bad pistons that were send out to me)............................................... ................................................
    waiting for the response from AK1 that I just contacted over the phone and pm. Andrew, JR and Tony is my only hope now................
    I hope AK1 is going to take care of me...
    Plese help!!!!!!!!!111
    Check out my ride at:

Spyder4G64t
    I got contacted privately about this matter via email, and was asked to give my opinions about the problems encountered with his turbo install. Since this thread is getting set to "sticky," I'll post my responce here as well for all to see.
    ------------------------------------------------

You didn't install larger injectors... No SAFC, and NO EGT. Those were your mistakes. Did you read through my website (listed in my signature?)In there, I talk about the ECU bug that fried my piston. If you don't have a datalogger to watch your fuel trims, this will happen again. READ my turbo install pages, then read them again.

You likely had the same thing happen. Your car went waaaay too lean, and the detonation fried (melted) your piston. You can NOT have the thing running lean at any kind of boost levels.

I also mention putting in cooler spark plugs, as the stock heat range is too hot for a turbo'ed 4G64. I believe the stock plugs are BKR5E-11's, correct? If so, then you need a BKR7E gapped to .030" instead of what the manual calls for. This would not have caused your problem, but it doesn't help things either.

You *NEED* an EGT to make sure that doesn't happen again. If you don't think you would look at it enough, get one with a warning light set to 900 degrees Celcius (1650 degrees F.). You CAN NOT run a turbo on these cars with stock internals without one.

As far as your pistons go... I'm afraid I have no clue. I do NOT have JE pistons in my car. I have the factory 9.5:1 stock pistons. My entire bottom end is stock, as is the SOHC head.

As far as reliability... My car has been running with a turbo on it for around 9 months now. It's been VERY reliable. I'm running 10psi boost with my setup (my whole setup is listed on my website). As long as you keep the engine settings where they need to be, you'll be fine. Tuning is the entire key to keeping things running well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast