The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Evo brake swap questions

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Evo brake swap questions

Got some questions....
    Can use the stainless steel lines that are on my galant? Or do I have to order lines for an evo? As far as the other things I need, evo calipers, evo pads&rotors. Somebody mentioned I need the caliper bolts from the dealership correct? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Experienced TGC Member
    You can use the stock 8g lines, or if you have switched to the braided ones already those will work as well. You can get the caliper bolts from a dealer, or just hit up any hardware store for the replacement bolts in a grade 8 and those will do just fine.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    You can use the stock 8g lines, or if you have switched to the braided ones already those will work as well. You can get the caliper bolts from a dealer, or just hit up any hardware store for the replacement bolts in a grade 8 and those will do just fine.
    You can only use the stock 8g lines up front, out back the lines made for the rear drums (4cylinder models) dont fit, if you previously converted to rear disc, then those lines would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    rear calipers use banjo fittings

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant View Post
    rear calipers use banjo fittings
    Then can too use screw in type fittings, I have seen a few guys on club3g do it already.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Experienced TGC Member
    [QUOTE=02redgalant;529117]rear calipers use banjo fittings[/QUOTEThe fitting type used is entirely up to the installer really. As long as the connection is properly done whether it is a banjo fitting or a screw in straight fitting it doesn't make any difference. I have my rear calipers running off the stock screw in line fitting, should I choose to I can simply make a new braided line and use a banjo fitting for a little easier installation/removal of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    You can only use the stock 8g lines up front, out back the lines made for the rear drums (4cylinder models) dont fit, if you previously converted to rear disc, then those lines would work.
    That is correct, but if you are looking at a Brembo conversion you should already have a rear disk setup equipped, or have done the drum-disc conversion before even taking this step.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Thanks for all the responses guys. I found a set of all 4 calipers and rotors. Are the stock evo rotors good enough? The set comes with the stock rotors and I was just gonna get them resurfaced and buy new pads. Buying brand new slotted rotors is too expensive for me right now. I had a concern about the front caliper clearing though. My front wheels are 19x8.5 +42. You think I could get away with running a 5mm spacer? Or maybe even a 7mm? Keep the advice coming guys. Thanks

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2kgalant View Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I found a set of all 4 calipers and rotors. Are the stock evo rotors good enough? The set comes with the stock rotors and I was just gonna get them resurfaced and buy new pads. Buying brand new slotted rotors is too expensive for me right now. I had a concern about the front caliper clearing though. My front wheels are 19x8.5 +42. You think I could get away with running a 5mm spacer? Or maybe even a 7mm? Keep the advice coming guys. Thanks
    You can run the stock rotors just fine. Most people upgrade to the drilled/slotted for better braking overall as they reduce the heat build up on the rotor that bascially causes warping, also the drilled portion helps to eliminate glazing on the pads which is also commmon for hard braking on most OE rotors.

You may have issues with the clearance of the wheels. Depending on the brand/style they might clear, but the majority of people running the Brembo package have an offset around +38 or less. If you are tight on money I would suggest checking out some stock Evo wheels for sale, or even look into some stock Nissan 350Z wheels as they will fit over the Brembo setup and onto our cars.

www.blackheartmotors.net

blue8g
    or even cheaper....spacers

I think you'll be able to get away with a 7 mm spacer bro. Just go grab some and test fit. You're still on the SSRs right? or did you switch wheels again?
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

blue8g
    oooh yeah i thought i recognized the username!

Still running the SSRs. I figured with a 5 mm spacer, that would bring my offset down to +37, hopefully that will clear. Don't really wanna use a spacer anymore than that, wheels will stick out too much.

So about the brake lines, when you guys say I can use the ones I have, are you talking about the SS lines I have now or is it just the hard lines on the car? Would I have to buy new SS lines that are specific for the brembo caliper?

both stock and ss will work as the stock fits fine -- they are banjo style in the front and the screw fits fine its same thread as stock -- ss is recommended though and u might as well since ull be bleeding the brakes.. the rears fit also as i have ss eclipse rear brake lines and they fit fine on brembos..

as for the rim question you wont know until you try it out.. you cant say that ur rims +5mm will be 37 offset and will fit.. It matters backspacing and spoke design and bla bla.. Mine are 45mm offset with 20mm spacers which would be 25mm and mine barely fits.. The wheel is gonna have to stick out if its not then it wont fit...
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

So Im getting ready to do the swap. Do I need any special brackets? Does the rear dust shield need to be cut? Any other issues I need to be aware of that I don't already know?

Experienced TGC Member
    So Im getting ready to do the swap. Do I need any special brackets? Does the rear dust shield need to be cut? Any other issues I need to be aware of that I don't already know?
    IDK about cutting the rear dust shields, didnt try that but to fit the correct rear rotors for the Brembo calipers I did have to remove the dust shields completely or they will continuously rub against the rotor.

www.blackheartmotors.net