The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tune up questions

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Tune up questions

Okay so im getting ready to do a tune up. I have already ordered my NGK spark plugs and wire set. I just need some clarification on a few things:

The wire set only included 2 wires, is that what the i4 requires?
    Do i also have to pick up a distrubutor cap, rotor, and boots?
    Do i have to change the coil packs for plugs #2 and #4?

Also, i noticed that upon first start up of the day, it seems to crank slower than usual. Is this normal? Is my starter going bad? Will this problem go away once i do the tune up?

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    ok...

1) yes you only need to spark plug wires. the other 2 cylinders have coil packs.
    2) i am assuming you have a I4 so you do not have a distributor cap and rotor. so you do not need that.
    3) you do not need to change the coil packs unless they are bad. by bad i mean shooting a code or something.

hope this helps.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

Thanks for the info. Any opinions on the slow crank?

have you checked your battery?

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    it might be the battery man. check to see if its strong enough. it might just be a battery terminal or something. make sure everything is right in there.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

Are you hearing any thing like clicking or is it turning slow????
    8g tranny is being rebuilt and waiting on ground control coilovers
    7g is just sitting motor and tranny is out(need to finish, just lazy)
    6g (vr4) motor is out getting the good stuff like a gt4088 and some more stupid stuff.
    Nice to be back!!!!

yeah a distributor is for the V6 Galants, us I4s don't need one. NGK plugs are good, alot of members use them

02 Mit. Galant 5 Spd -> 2010 Mit. Lancer Sportback 5 Spd -> (current) 2014 Mit Evo GSR 5 Spd
    run1206's Rear Disc Tutorial
    run1206's CF Hood Resurface Tutorial

TGC Regular
    Just re-useing an old thread. I want to change them all out for two reason. I'm at 125k miles and that its throwing me a P300 Code (random misfires). Does anyone have the price quote on these range for. Oh when I say "these" I mean the coils and spark plugs or do they come as a set? Just in case I have an 02 Galant 2.4 aka I4. Thanks.

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

have you changed the plugs? usually a coil pack will give a certain misfire code (cyc 1, 3, etc) the plugs are 2.50 or so a piece, the coils are a little over a hundred if i remember correctly

TGC Regular
    I changed it about 7 months ago with NGK Plat Plugs. Ive researched and at autozone its about 78$+ tax and doesnt come with plug wires. which cost 12$+ tax each. So its about 200$ after tax self repaired. On the problem, would it throw the random misfire due to one coil being worn and messing up #1/#2 or #3/#4? The problem is only felt when im idleing and none other like accelerating. Or is there any other problems i can tell. Oh also I got a yellow top about 1 year ago. So the battery is probably not the issue.

it should give which cyl. is misfiring if it doesnt give a specific one its usually a general engine missing. the few i've seen were all the spark plugs being bad and once a guys tires were so out of balance it was throwing a misfire code- it was shaking the engine so bad it thought it was missing but i doubt thats it at all.

TGC Regular
    I think it would be best bet is to change all these out anyways, since I known from 29k to 125k miles it havent been changed. My plugs are fairly new when i last checked them but is it nessesary to change the plugs to new?