The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Front End Q's

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Front End Q's

Im planning to customize my front end a little and i have couple questions.

First i wanna customize my headlights , i have question about "baking" them. Should i put oven 215F and put them inside right away or wait until oven warm up a little. Also is it gonna make any smell or something because or i dont want my mom to bitch about it or anything. Second do i need to buy new silicone or reheat the factory one and put it back? Also whats going to happens if i paint over the reflecting part with black paint (want to do black housing) is it just like less light output or no output at all ? sorry if its sound dump. Another one , I would like to put led strip right above my fog lights like 4-grim , how do I connect them??? can I connect them so that go on when fogs do or how does it look? Would those work? http://cgi.ebay.com/24-LED-Strip-Car...d=p3286.c0.m14 And last one , the mugen front lip from integra. Is it going to fit just fine or i need to do some modification? There is a pic with mugen lip i just did fast on photoshop.

I cant answer everything but, as far as the resealing the light, you are going to want some new silicone or rtv because you want to make sure there will be no chance of moisture getting in there. As far as painting the housing black...unless you are running HIDs I think you will loose light big time! The lights we have do not have good output to begin with and then taking away the little bit of reflection with the black paint....well it will just be worse. If you do go with it, get a set of HIDs...they are cheap now so it should be easy

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

no other answers ? advices?

more or less, those led's should work. there about 9.5 inchs in length. so if thats how long you want them and the placement, it should work out. as far as when or how they are lit up is up to you. on with the fogs, or headlights or running lights. its all just a matter of tapping into the right wire or adding a relay, but i dont think leds take too much juice to need a relay.
    98 Galant ES
    Current Mods - To many to mention here.
    Future Plans - 4G63T swap and 5 speed swap
    Big Thanks To YOU ALL for all the help you provide

hook up the leds to your corner lights, then they will work like running lights, i would use new silicone to seal the headlights after you bake them, DO NOT PAINT THE REFLECTORS @ all, just paint the housings black for that cool look, talk to 4 G Rim about the mugen lip, he has had both the type R and the mugen lip on his car, he can give you the necessary info but I'm 99% sure that it's not a stick on affair, it'll need some modification, probably trimming on the ends
    hope this helps.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

i have the pilot leds from autozone as my parking lites cause i have the shogun bumper

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    -Preheat the oven at 215 degrees and have the headlight assembly in there for around 15mins. There will be a strong smell from baking the headlights and will linger around inside the oven for a day or 2. You don't need to buy new silicone...just make sure to preheat the oven again to soften the OEM sealer and seal the lens to the assembly right when you take it out of the oven.

-Painting the reflective part of the housing will reduce the light output a little bit since you are blacking out the reflective chrome..BUT i suggest replacing the regular filament bulbs with LED amber bulbs to as the LED's produce a more strong light output.

-The LED strips I used are high output LED's and I wired them to my corner lights and they are attached to the bumper with a waterproof 3M double side adhesive tape.

-The Integra Type R and Mugen lip aren't perfect fits...there is a bit of trimming need to be done to the corner edges where the lip starts apex to the sides. A good amount of trimming also needs to be done so the part of the lip that sits on the center vent opening of the bumper. The integra has a wider opening than the 7gb front bumper.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

thank you

For my lights I set the oven to warm and waited like 10 min. the put on gloves and used a puddy knife to start the they pulled right off. the same back together.