The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: '02 ES V6 Eletrical Problem!?!

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    hhp8008

Icon7 '02 ES V6 Eletrical Problem!?!

Hello to all Galant owners & veterans of TGC this noob is hungry for your 2cents.

Early July, I bought my 2000 ES V6 for less then a "ps3 80gb" yay! lol. Has less then 135k miles, engine runs flawlessly. Transmission shifts soo smooth very solid. From driving it, this car drives like a champion .

To the bad side, recently the cel came on and drove it to my mechanic. We scanned her up and found six sensors malfunctioning. From what the diagnostic computer reads, he says could be a ground somewhere commonly referred to as an "electrical problem". idk what ever the case, he wants $500 in labor to find this ground. not including the sensors then ecu if fixing the ground doesn't work. lol kno rite. should i replace half of these and see if it fixes it or take to my mechanic. Sense I paid good money for diagnostics, I wrote down the code's feel free to check em out.

po141 02 HEATER CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION (BANK1 SENSOR 2).

po170 FUEL TRIM MALFUNCTION (BANK 1).

po173 FUEL TRIM MALFUNCTION (BANK 2).

po335 CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION.

po340 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION.

po403 EXHAUST GAS RECIRCULATION SOLENOID CIRCUIT PROBLEM
    Last edited by hhp8008; 08-19-2009 at 06:05 PM

So is it a 2000 or a 2002? You posted both. Not that it matters. I think your car is possessed and that's why it was sold for so cheap. lol.

Anyway, how does the car drive? I can't imagine the car driving properly or at all if those sensors were really bad. There has to be some kind of electrical problem somewhere or else the ECU took a crap on you. Electrical problems can be a bitch to find. I went through it when one of my O2 sensor wires got a tiny little hole in it by rubbing against the block and shorted out. Every time I would start my car and give it gas a fuse would blow and the car would shut off. It took me and my Father 3 days to figure it out. My Father finally figured it out after looking at the dealer manuals and studying the circuit diagrams. $500 is a lot to check for an electrical problem, but it can be a real bitch to find.

If you want to swap anything out first, find a used ECU and swap that because I can't see it being one of those sensors.

Where in PA are you? My parents live in Shickshinny near Wilkes-Barre and I'm headed there this weekend to do some work on my Galant. I have a 1999 ES V6 and I'm thinking you could try out my ECU in your car to see if it works before buying one.
    Last edited by Danger DANJ; 08-18-2009 at 08:19 PM

hhp8008
    oh good looking out, I probably wouldn't of notice that for awhile lol. oh yeah shes a 2000. Dang alittle hole in 02 sensor wire took 3 days. With my luck I might have more shorts then I can bargain. seems like these electrical problems are popular with our galants. but then again almost all cars develop something with age.

But I'm kinda stomped. The car drives normal zero idle problems, all exterior & interior lights work w/o turning off or dimming. But the only thing apparent is that it burns a lot more gas then previous. I think I barely get 17 mpg!! I'm leading toward 1 or both the 02 sensors. other then that the car runs great. I agree sounds like the ecu crapped out on me. So I'm thinking swapping or repairing ecu could do it. because it might be throwing sensors off if damaged. I wish I lived closer to you so we can do that ecu test, I live in York, PA. but I'll deff have to inspect the ecu. Chances are it is because it has like 135k miles and its never been inspected before. Well hopefully all goes well while I remove ecu, I'll leave some feed back on how she looks
    Last edited by hhp8008; 08-22-2009 at 09:45 AM

hhp8008
    Just to update, I recently fixed my beloved Galant this past week 9/20. I reset my ecu and took it to mechanic to inspect for grounds. Find wires are still in good working order nothing really stood out to both of us while checking wiring harness. We simply replaced the (bank1 sensor2) 02 sensor and the EGR which seem to be holding pretty well. So far so good :) But hey never know, later on might come back to kick me in the butt :P lol. I am now running on Shell v-power to prevent any future carbon build up and help clean EGR system.

Electrical Problem. Now Simple 02/EGR Repair.
    Last edited by hhp8008; 10-10-2009 at 08:49 PM