The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ksport GT Pro Coilovers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 47
    Experienced TGC Member

Ksport GT Pro Coilovers

Well, the suspension for "BlackHeart" has been chosen finally. I couldn't reason to spend nearly $700+ just for a full spring and shock setup so I am going to dive right into the coilovers at this point.

I was looking at the regular Ksport Coilovers for roughly $900 shipped, but have been doing some more reading on the GT Pro kit and believe I am going to spend the extra money.

My question is if anybody else is running a set of GT Pro coilovers on their galant ad how they like the setup?

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Sorry, i cannot vouch for K-sport, I've never ridden on any of their products. Nothing against them, I just haven't met anyone in town that has them.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    Sorry, i cannot vouch for K-sport, I've never ridden on any of their products. Nothing against them, I just haven't met anyone in town that has them.
    I have found a substantial amount of information from the Nissan/Infiniti group when I searched for Ksports. Most of the information is well over a year or more old.

Given the other option for a coilover system being a Tein or Megan I am just not sure I want to invest in those options. Megan for one I have seen what it will do to the CV boot if lowered to a certain extent, the Ksports I am looking at actually have an adjustement on the assembly to prevent that from happening.

I am looking to spend right around $1300 on a suspension alone and I am really digging on the features of the GT Pro system.

www.blackheartmotors.net

All I can say is I love my Teins. They are probably better quality. But I've never been on Ksports...
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    All I can say is I love my Teins. They are probably better quality. But I've never been on Ksports...
    How much adjustment do you have with the Tein setup? Is it comparable to the Ksport systems?

www.blackheartmotors.net

I have Ksports...how much extra for the GT Pro Kit and what color are they? I love mine and dropped about 3" in the front and 1" in the back. The handling is much better but you feel the road so I didn't want to go to much lower. When my car isn't a daily I will most likely go another 1" in the front and rear.

Don't forget to get a rear camber kit for your alignment.
    Last edited by krow; 08-19-2009 at 05:23 PM

I have the KSport coils, very stiff ride, but I have it set to the hardest. Yeah mine are the orange ones
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    How much adjustment do you have with the Tein setup? Is it comparable to the Ksport systems?
    its got 16 levels of dampening and 10k f 6k r spring rates. Only thing I wish the Teins could have are rebound adjustment.

I think Tein is better personally because Tein has proved itself over and over again.

Again, i've never been on Ksports, though, a lot of people have ridden on them and are very satisfied.

Though, if I could do it all over agian, I woulda spent the cash and grab myself some JIC's.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    I have the KSport coils, very stiff ride, but I have it set to the hardest. Yeah mine are the orange ones
    I talked to the guys at KSport and they told me to set the damper between 8-16 to get the longest life out of the coilovers so I set mine at 8.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krow View Post
    Don't forget to get a rear camber kit for your alignment.
    I will have to look into it a bit more but I believe the GT PRo kit comes with pillow ball mounts and retains the OEM suspension geometry...at least from reading the data on the system this far that is what I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    I am not too worried about the stiffness of the ride, I don't want it to be like a rigid frame motorcycle, but I don't expect a Caddy type ride by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    its got 16 levels of dampening and 10k f 6k r spring rates. Only thing I wish the Teins could have are rebound adjustment.

I think Tein is better personally because Tein has proved itself over and over again.

Though, if I could do it all over agian, I woulda spent the cash and grab myself some JIC's
    So the Tein system has adjustability but it seems somewhat limited when compared to the GT Pro system which is claiming 32 way adjustability with dampening/rebound adjustment.

I looked at the JIC stuff and about shat myself. Trying to keep the project very "budget friendly" but making a point to invest good money in certain areas as well....I mean I spent more on my brake upgrade than my car purchase price alone LOL

www.blackheartmotors.net

I can say that I've seen multiple K sport branded coilover systems fail. Mostly on EVOs, but I've still seen a lot of them blown.

JIC FTW. It's what I pimp on my 2G.
    Greg
    ---------
    '01 Stratus R/T - 5spd, 92 3000GT VR4, 03 EVO VIII, 70 Opel GT

Owner - Ultimate Car Style & Performance www.ucsperformance.com 240.271.0280

2007 N.A.S.A National Champions TTR Class!

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PharmEcis View Post
    I can say that I've seen multiple K sport branded coilover systems fail. Mostly on EVOs, but I've still seen a lot of them blown.

JIC FTW. It's what I pimp on my 2G.
    Yeah there is a TON of complaints about that from multiple other platforms out there, but almost everything I have found for the information is dated 2008-older.

Those who were running them from mid '08 on seem to be noticing night and day differences on the system. Some have kept the Ksports they had from original dates of 2007, but bought new strut assemblies from Ksport which were production dates of 2008-newer and they are finding much better results from them.

www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member ZigenScarface's Avatar
    this guy does his HW lol

I have Ksports on my car, the ride is stiff but on the highway its as smooth as stock. I have heard about the old ksport shocks going bad but mine are still fine. They can take quite a bit of abuse too.

Have you looked into D2's?

TeamDreamSpeed / PizzaBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    I can't believe a meet never happening all because I or James is not gonna be present. What kind of crap is that? Since when was G-spot and Silver01G heart and soul of TGCTX?

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by silver01g View Post
    Have you looked into D2's?
    I haven't honestly found a lot of good information on the D2 stuff to make them a choice for the suspension setup.

The only ones I even considered were the Ksports, Megans, or Tein. Just with all the issues people have had (including seeing them first hand) with the Megan stuff I didn't want to deal with it at all. The Tein stuff is great, they were my first choice on a spring setup...but the coilovers just didint seem to offer the functionality of the Ksports.

Beyond Ksports the only option I can see worth the money for a serious setup would be JIC, but I cannot bring myself to drop practically $2000 just on a suspension system.

www.blackheartmotors.net

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Ok im gonna throw in my .02

First off the main difference in the regular Kontrol Pro's versus the GT Pro's is the GT is an inverted design which is a little more durable and rigid. In terms of adjustment, they each offer the same features and amount of adjustment.

KSport and D2 are manufactured in the same factory. I have heard some bad feedback about both, but I have also heard bad feedback about certain parts that I have owned for years without trouble.

Tein is a GREAT company, too bad they only make their shitty coilovers for our application. The Tein SS-P's for our cars offer the worst ride height adjustment as the shock body itself is not adjustable, so in order to adjust ride height, you need to adjust the spring perch's and therefore creat excess pre-load and limit suspension travel which hurt ride quality and performance (I had Teins in my car for a year).

I now have Megan coilovers and my only real gripe was the poor location of the swaybar link, they feel pretty good in terms of ride, I have only about 2500 miles on them but so far so good. As for the OP stating the megans cause torn axle boots, thats not the case. People who run the megans with with their car slammed as low as they can get torn boots because either A) from being too low or B) from not using the right end links and in certain situations the endlink rubs against the axle boot.

As for D2's, I just got a great deal on a custom set, so I ordered them up, mine are coming straight from their factory with spring rates I specified, the adjustable swaybar link mount and EVO spec lower mounts (since im running EVO spindle's, I need them) If im happy with these D2's im going to order the rear Drag spec suspension so I can swap it in for track days. The Nissan guys LOVE the D2's and the Ksports. Understand alot of negative suspension feedback come from high dollar cars like EVO's, STi's, BMW's and Porsche, cars that HIGH END COMPANIES link Ohlins, Billstein, etc. make suspension kits for, that cost $4k. Of course a $4k set of coilovers will be better than $900 D2's, did anyone notice that D2 and Ksport also make $4k coilovers, nobody talks bad about them because nobody is willing to try them. I bet they work well too : )

FYI also about people breaking the D2/Ksports, recently they just changed the design of their front struts from 49mm shock bodies to 52mm bodies (or 53, cant remember) the design change was made for strength and to allow for stronger, more reliable dampners.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

recent review of JICs on evom

http://forums.evolutionm.net/service...-jic-crap.html

cliffs: not reccomended

yeah, I have megans, and the only problem I have had is the fact that the front sway bar endlink mounting point sucks, but that is easily fixed with some adjustable front sway bar endlinks, I have used them for quite some time, they have gone through a rallicross, numerous autocross events, a road rally, daily driving rain shine snow sleet hail, and most recently a track day, all told I have about 20K miles on them without a problem, not torn axle boots for me and I have had the front slammed as far as it will go this whole time, so I will have to say I love my megans, my next set of coilovers will be these
    http://www.amrengineering.com/search...car=Mitsubishi
    I know our cars aren't listed but I talked to him on the phone, and he can easily do it his exact words were "if you manage to break these coilovers, I will replace them free of charge"
    , they come with a lifetime warranty and the guy will build them to your exact specs, you tell him what spring rates you want and what your intentions are for your car, and he'll do it, plus, they are local to me so I can stop buy anytime, I will also be contacting him about making a rear sway bar that actually fits our cars without issues even with a larger exhaust system.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    I now have Megan coilovers and my only real gripe was the poor location of the swaybar link...

FYI also about people breaking the D2/Ksports, recently they just changed the design of their front struts from 49mm shock bodies to 52mm bodies (or 53, cant remember) the design change was made for strength and to allow for stronger, more reliable dampners.
    The swaybar link was the only reason I didn't get the Megans and it is the 52MM design Ksport started to utilize.

Quote Originally Posted by greddy View Post
    yeah, I have megans, and the only problem I have had is the fact that the front sway bar endlink mounting point sucks,

http://www.amrengineering.com/search...car=Mitsubishi
    I know our cars aren't listed but I talked to him on the phone, and he can easily do it his exact words were "if you manage to break these coilovers, I will replace them free of charge"
    , they come with a lifetime warranty and the guy will build them to your exact specs, you tell him what spring rates you want and what your intentions are for your car, and he'll do it, plus, they are local to me so I can stop buy anytime, I will also be contacting him about making a rear sway bar that actually fits our cars without issues even with a larger exhaust system.
    The deal maker for me was KSport had the adjustable endlink mounting bracket and I could get them in black. Thanks for the heads up on the AMR Engineering website!

Every time I called KSport they were very helpful, knowledgeable, and answered every question that I had regarding their product. I did wish they had a longer warranty though...all I could find at the time was a one year warranty on all the major coilover brands within the price range I was looking for.
    Last edited by krow; 08-19-2009 at 11:12 PM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast