The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to turbocharge your 4g64 8g

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 42

How to turbocharge your 4g64 8g

So you want to turbo the 4G64?
    by johnathansgalant » Mon May 25, 2009 8:55 am

I am by no means an expert but I know what I know so I have gathered information and added some so that we can make a sticky or something that people can come too to find out what fits the 8g. Everything I list in this doc is known to fit but I only know mitsubishi facts and nothing about garrett and the T3/T4 hybrids or any style other than MHI flanges. Hopefully someone can add that to this to cover both bases. AS USUAL, I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY IF YOUR MOTOR BLOWS UP OR YOUR CAR CATCHES ON FIRE FROM ANY INFORMATION ON THIS POST. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILTY TO READ AND RESEARCH THOROUGHLY, HOW ALL THESE ITEMS WORK AND INTERACT BEFORE YOU SLAP IT ON YOUR CAR. FUEL BURNS AND IGNITES VERY EASILY SO MAKE SURE YOU INSPECT ALL YOUR WORK IN THE FUEL AREA INCLUDING ADJUSTABLE FPR, FUEL RAILS, INJECTOR SEALS, FUEL PUMP LINES AND FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY TO MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE ANY LEAKS. EVERYTHING WORKS BUT IF INSTALLED IMPROPERLY THERE IS NO TELLING THE END RESULTS.

So you want to turbo the 4G64? This guide is for 8g Galants from years 99-03. In this guide we will basically spoon feed you what you can use to turbo charge your car. This document is ever changing because obviously, something new comes along every day. This guide will be a compilation of info provided by numerous members of TGC, Club3g, Evolutionm, Galantforums, Dsmtuners and plenty other useful sources. Thanks to everyone that contributed and continues to advance the 4G64 platform.

Exhaust Components
    Turbo:
    There are so many choices to choose from where does one start? Well, we are going to list what fits and you are going to decide for yourself what your goals and needs will be.
    To start, the Mitsubishi turbo line is a great start and has plentiful choices that are available. Weakest to strongest the most common turbos are: T25, 14b, 16g, 18g, 20g. This list is not all the Mitsubishi turbos and there are subsets of some of these turbos which may or may not be discussed further. All of the listed turbos will fit provided you have the correct manifold. The compressor housing for these turbos should be the TDO5, TDO5H, TDO6 housings and the exhaust housings are very similar with different size exhaust ports such as 6cm, 7cm and they all fit Mitsubishi style flanged manifolds (Without Twinscroll).

Exhaust Manifold:
    99% of all manifolds made for the 1g turbo eclipse and 2g turbo eclipse will fit your car. Manifolds designed for 4g63 turbo engines from 1990 to 1999 will fit. Manifolds designed for the Evolution 8 and 9 will fit also. You must select the right turbo/manifold combo as they are specific to each other. The Evolution 8 and 9 exhaust manifold comes stock with a twin scroll design and is different than any of the other Mitsubishi turbo line. This manifold and turbo selection will run into the starter so you must use at least one manifold spacer milled at a slant to position the turbo upward away from the starter. Some people have used two spacers and some have used one milled spacer. This requires replacing your studs with longer studs to be long enough to fit the spacers.

DSM or 1990-1999 Eclipse 1990-1994 Laser, Eagle Talon AWD or FWD
    All manifolds will fit with stock specs meaning the turbo is put in the stock location or close too. You will have to unbolt and flip the turbo180 (flip it around so the exhaust side is toward the passenger side) so it will fit and allow room for intake and o2 housing to fit. ***O2 sensor may not fit if everything is assembled and you try to screw it in(will run into power steering pump). Try to put the O2 sensor in the o2 housing prior to bolting the system to the head or manifold. It should allow for near perfect fit with no problems.

Evolution 1-3
    All these manifolds will fit and the Evo 3 manifold is beefier than the standard DSM manifolds. It is suggested to get an EVO 3 manifold because it is not prone to cracking and has slightly larger ports plus it has a 7cm turbo flange for better top end power.

Evolution 4-8
    These, as I mentioned earlier need manifold spacers to clear the starter with a turbo fitted. You can try RRE for these spacers.

O2 Housing:
    1990 – 1999 Eclipse or DSM or Evo 1-3
    All these o2 housings will fit when using a Mitsubishi turbo such as T25, 14b, 16g, 18g. There are more variants but these are the major and most used turbos. Special note is that Evo 1-3 is not the same as 90-99 dsm o2 housing in that, the angle of the downpipe flange is different. The evo 3 has a more aggressive angle and points more towards the turbo than the standard 1g and 2g eclipse. Evo 3 o2 housing also requires a slightly larger than stock exhaust flange when building or buying a downpipe.

Downpipe:
    You will need a custom downpipe as there is no known downpipe that will fit without modification. Some options would be to modify the evo downpipe or eclipse downpipes to fit. It is very hard to fit a 3inch downpipe but not impossible – you will notice a lot of people are using 2.5inch downpipe and have no problems.

Turboback or catback exhaust:
    You can use an eclipse 1995-99 GST exhaust and modify as necessary to extend it or shorten I forget. They have a wider selection in sizes up to and including 3 inch exhausts. For the 8g Galant there are some imitations and the original Megan Racing Exhaust that are 2.5in. I use the Megan Racing exhaust with full 2.5 inch downpipe and it has suited me well for my turbo project. Chances are you will not need a 3in but it is not a bad thing to have.

Intake System:

Intake pipe:
    Custom or Evo 8-9 intakes will work. Not aware of any other intakes that will work..

Charge or Intercooler pipes:
    I use the upper Evo 8 intercooler piping and it will fit perfectly and depending on your front mount you may need a small addition at the bottom to complete it. The lower intercooler pipe may fit but you will need additional piping no matter what. Your better off making a custom LICP. You will need a J pipe if your turbo did not come with one unless it has a round protruding pipe built in to the compressor housing that will accept a coupler.

Intercooler:
    Front mount intercoolers seem to be the main choice for the aggressive look and functionality. Depending on whether you will be keeping your crash bar or not you will have different options on what size you can use and how much stuff you have to modify to use it. I personally dont have my crash bar since i have a body kit and i made some brackets that hold the intercooler. Its not too difficult to mount the intercooler but you might have to hack up your bumper depending on different factors you will encounter. Some people have used sidemount intercoolers as well. This is good for a sleeper look and can fit inside the corner of your bumper somewhere. The common choice is a 1g or 2g sidemount intercooler and you may be able to use a supra sidemount which is a bit larger. The sidemount intercooler has a tendency to heatsoak during heavy use which means the heat cannot be exchanged fast enough to cool down the air passing through. This causes hotter air to enter the engine and could end up causing higher knock counts as a result.

Blow Off Valve/ Bypass valve:
    Anything you want ofcourse. You must ofcourse, put the correct flange on your UICP. With the evo 8 pipe you will need an adapter to run a greddy or HKS or anything other than stock evo valve. You can find some nice ones at RRE if you want a greddy or 1g flanged adapter. Search around you will find something. Also in all likelihood you will have to recirculate your BOV or you will encounter resistance from your car hah.. You will stall and have bad afr at idle to name a few.

Fuel:
    Fuel Pump:
    You can use a stock evolution 8 or 9 fuel pump. It’s the closest match, you may have to trim the filter sock slightly but I don’t know. You can use a fuel pump for a 1995-99 eclipse turbo models made by walbro or whoever but make sure its 190lph or more or atleast the stock evo level. Tearstone.com has a great writeup on how to fit these fuel pumps. Essentially you trim the fuel filter sock at the bottom to allow the pump and sock to fit in and the fuel pump housing to close perfectly.

Injectors:
    Most common injectors are the DSM or Eclipse Turbo stock 450cc injectors. They are blue tops on the 1g eclipse and black tops on the 2g eclipse. These are low impedance injectors and require a RESISTOR PACK to use. These resistor packs are found on 1g, 2g and evos and are pretty much the same. You can probably use resistor packs off any car but you may want to use a multimeter to verify its like 10ohms. To fit DSM 450cc injectors you will need dsm clips and to make your own spacer out of washers to space the rail perfectly with the injector seated in the seal and into the intake manifold.

Another option is the direct fitting WRX pink injectors. They are 440cc and fit in our stock injector clips and are High Impedance just like our stock injectors. This means its 99.99% plug and play because you will need to put washers or something to space them properly and your done. I believe any model with 440cc top feed wrx’s should fit the bill but for sure the top feed pink injectors off the wrx will fit.

Engine Management / ECU / Standalone / Piggy Backs

There are a few different options as far as how far you want to go and how safe you want to be..

Standalones:
    All standalones or systems for that matter, require moderate to extensive wiring and should not be attempted if you are a beginner or unsure of what you are doing. Most people seem to like the AEM ECU for the Lancer Evolution 8 because you can wire it in and it’s the closest you can find for your car sensor and management wise. On the uprising is the Lancer Evolution 8 stock ECU which is essentially a standalone ecu that can be flashed and tuned just like any other engine management system. I won’t pretend to know anything much about the AEM system but I have not heard any negativity towards it. Both systems will require extensive modification to your stock harness to convert your harness to an EVO harness basically. You can either be dumb like me and cut your stock harness or be smart and work smart by spending a few hundred(300) on a conversion harness from Boomslang. The harness is not on the website and you should email them for the details. It is an eclipse AT to Evo 8 ecu harness or if you wish to stay automatic then you will need the eclipse AT to Evo 8 and stock dual ecu harness.

Evo ecu vs Aem
    As I said I don’t know much about the AEM so if someone provides me with info I can update this post.

Evo 8 ecu
    I can however, tell you about the EVO 8 ecu. It is a cheap and very powerful standalone and in my opinion can give 400 to 500whp with the right mods and excellent tuning. Can it give you more? Maybe but in reality by that horsepower you will already have all the answers you need. First and foremost, the evo ecu gives you the ability to tune boost load x rpm. Our stock ecu will tune to what it thinks is 0psi or 100% load. With the evo 8 we can tune to 260 + load which is 20+ psi for a standard stock turbo. You can do too many things to go over in this post but Ill list some main advantages. You will be able to tune for almost any larger injector, control boost afr, timing, idle and much more. A key benefit not unlike the AEM is that you can tune the system your self with a Tactrix cable. The cable is around 200 but you can still find the 1.3 version for 100 or less. This cable connects via the obd2 port and flash connector next to the port. You will need a laptop to tune with and the cable connects via usb port so have one on the laptop.

****EDIT 3/6/2011 Havent edited this in a while but ill add some more things as i remember more.

Knock Sensor
    I personally used a knock sensor off of a v6 Diamante. There are several model cars in the mitsubishi line that you can use a knock sensor from. You can use one of a 1g, 2g, 3g Eclipse, Diamante and or v6 Eclipse (Not sure if they have for the v6 eclipse), any model EVO sensor. The 2g eclipse gst sensors are supposedly a little more sensitive and prone to false knock but i cannot say for sure. They will all work and help keep your motor from being destroyed. To use a knock sensor you must have an ECU / ECM that will allow for its use. The evo 8 will allow you to wire a knock sensor in and use it for protection and tuning. Wiring is simple - one end goes to the ecu and the other gets grounded. Its red and black w/ a color wire. The black is ground and the red goes to the ecu. The evo 8 ecu will show the current voltage of the knock sensor so you can verify its operation.

Emanage Blue or Ultimate
    I used the Emanage Blue for a while and it was not a bad unit but lacks a lot function. I would not recommend a piggy back for a NA to turbo conversion because it lacks a lot of necessary features to get the best performance out of the build. You basically have Injector Control up to a limit of 650cc or so and limited ignition timing adjustment. The ignition adjustment is at somewhat of a debate because some people say it does not work as expected and others say different. You can expect to hit 12psi safely with an emanage. I was able to run 16psi on my setup but there is no way to tell if any knock was occurring as there are not logging features to do so with the emanage. You can log basic functions like injector duty cycle, ignition timing adjustment, pulse width and throttle position sensor. You use a cable to tune the emanage and its a special usb cable that you will need. The emanage has been known to fry an ignition coil pack or two so be careful if this your option.

THIS DOC IS NOT DONE.
    Last edited by Johnathansgalant; 03-06-2011 at 09:21 PM
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

holding for more info
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

holding for more info2

Good guide :) This will match the 2.0l 4G63 engine we got in Europe :) And the 4G64 over here is a DOHC engine.

I'll add something since I have t3/t4 turbo

For those who want to impress people how "big" their turbo is, you can fit t3, t3/t4, or even t4 turbos comfortably on the car.

You cant just buy any t3/t4 and slap it on your car and expect it to work efficently. Unlike Mitsubishi turbos where someone can say they have a 16g and you already know how big their turbo is and approximately how much HP they have, saying you have a t3/t4 turbo tells you nothing about the turbo except it uses a t3 flanged manifold and has a t4 turbine housing. There are different criteria such as Trim (how big the turbine and compressor wheel is) and the A/R (how big the area inside the turbo is). On my car, i have a 50 trim and .56 A/R. You WILL need to pick up a book or search online to understand compressor efficiency maps to correctly size a turbo for your car. It is possible to have a t3/t4 turbo that is too big for the car and will never spool or will only make power late in the power band, or you can have a turbo that is too small and is constantly spooling like a 40 trim with a .48 A/R.

T3/T4 Manifolds

It is my opinion that the DSM T3 Manifolds are a better fit for our cars than Evo ones. The DSM T3 manifolds space the turbo out about 8" from the block and the flange is perpendicular to the block. Evo Manifolds however place the turbo about 6" or less from the block and are angled back toward the block. This is a problem because our starters are in the way of the turbo, so without the use of 2x spacers or using an Evo starter, you cannot fit a T3 turbo.

The extra spacing from a DSM manifold allows for ample spacing from the starter. The only downside of using a DSM manifold is that it puts the turbo on the 2nd runner and running a downpipe the tradional way would cause the downpipe to hit the AC condensor. However, there is room to wrap the downpipe around to the back of the turbo and then down to the exhaust, which is what I did in my car

There are some DSM manifolds (Full Race) that place the turbo on the 3rd runner (farther away from the AC) that may allow you to have the downpipe point down, but I have never seen on in person to say for sure.

Evo Manifolds have the benifit of the turbo on the 3rd runner, allowing you to run a downpipe normally. But like I mentioned, The majority of the manifolds angle back towards the block, putting the turbo directly on the starter.
    Last edited by qnz; 09-01-2009 at 07:12 PM

I order a manifold off ebay for the evo when it came in I found out that it has a slight pitch to the flange so it is higher off the ground on the edge closest to the radiator it looks like it shoud clear the starter but have not tried it since I am just buying the parts now and will be doing this in spring.

is it a twin scroll turbo manifold? meant for the stock evo8/9 turbo? if so, the turbo can only be mounted one way, (turbo scroll facing the engine) and that will hit the starter. If the turbo could be turned 180* (like how 16g and t3 flanged turbos), then it probably would have cleared the starter.

well i took some photo's today with a head that I have off for rebuild but I don't know how to add them on here for you guys to see

My Mk4 is like a Black Hole you enter in it and who the hell knows what'll happen next???
    I sure don't, do you?

Any Idea When This Will be done, wanting to see what is siad about electircal(ECUS, HArness, Gauges,ect....)

i have not been working on it but what do you want to know

Like how you wired it up between the two harnesses what you kept added, ect like basically all the wiring that would be invovled.

i updated the first post with some more info on ecus.. ill continue to add when i get a chance..

ok thanks man

is that it or is there more to come?
    !MaD_JaCk!

one day i will get the free time to add more but anyone is welcome.. If you want to know something specific we can try to answer it

I don't think a turbo application would be anywhere near my starter, since my starter is on the left side of the engine, and the exhaust manifold is on the right.

7g ftw.
    141,000 miles.

6 dents.

Yellowed, cloudy headlights.

spraypaint on the door panels.

Im thinking about adding a turbo to my car but im kinda new to this and was wondering if this would be a turbo that would work.

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/evo316gturbo.html

Ive been trying to do research on turbo's but im finding it a little confusing

the turbo will fit. Read my guide on the first page and you will find out what fits to make ur life easy

what afr are u getting on 14 psi with the 190,450s and evo rail?
    2.4 dohc turbo, 10 psi,small 16g, evo 3 02 housing,98 flashable ecu,maft,3inch magnaflow exhaust,aem wideband,blitz turbo timer,egt gauge,balance shaft delete,a/c delete,battery in trunk,arp headstuds,fmic,mbc, (Wiseco 8:7:1 pistons coming soon.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast