The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Do Brembos and deep lips mix?

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    TGC Regular

Do Brembos and deep lips mix?

Ok fellas, I've been kicking around the idea of upgrading to the Evo's Brembos for awhile, strictly cause I like the look of the big brake look over the added stopping power. (Trust me, I've been reading all these threads on Brembos to try to figure this out.) But I'm planning to add 20's to my Galant that is getting kitted and having the JDM fender flares added. I figure the added braking power will stop those 20's a little better. I want to get some 20's with a good size lip, something in the range of 2.5 - 3 inches deep. I can find a few styles that have this kind of lip in a 40+ to 42+ offset, but I hear that you need wheels with outside spokes to clear the Brembo calipers. Anyone know if I use a 35+ or 32+ offset wheel with a 10 mm spacer / adapter to use a wheel with a deep lip and also use the Brembos? Basically, I'm trying to get that euro look. If the Brembos won't work, I'll just upgrade to a higher piston caliper and bigger rotor kit, but we all know the Brembo upgrade is much cheaper.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    to run the brembo's and a wheel with a 2.5" lip is going to be very very tough. You'd probably be talking a final offset offset under 15mm's, so a +32 offset wheel with the 10mm spacer still wouldnt be enough, you'd need a 20mm spacer and then it will be close. Spoke design is a HUGE factor here. If you get a wheel that has a nice lip but the spokes come out (away from the rotor/caliper) at a steep angle, you might be able to clear it with a higher offset, by higher I mean in the +25 area instead of +15
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

TGC Regular
    Damn, that's what I was afraid of. Looks like I'm going to find a place that has a wheel I like in stock, and test fit it on my friend's car that has Brembos. (Yeah, that's you Nick!!...lol)

Its a pretty steep cut bro... I test fitted my 18" +35 on an evo with no lip and a wicked outward spoke design and it cleared by millimeters. if you just want a bigger rotor i'd just go with the powerstop bracket kit that uses stock calipers its about the same price if not a little cheaper. You should also get a drop if you have not already otherwise our car looks like a joke, especially with bigger wheels. Also make sure that you don't rub... I don't know how far your flares go out but its just something to keep in mind.

Yes, its possible. Depending on your budget you can find something all day long that has a 2 to 3" lip, and can clear brembos. But that remains to be seen. What is your budget?

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    its all relevent...just find a good wheel shop that allows test fitting before purchase....it s definately going to come down to the wire

talk to billet, he has a 2.5" lip or is it 3"... reelax has a pic of his wheels with a benjamin on the lip lol

i forget what billets setup was...his setup is flared though
    Last edited by krazienluv10; 09-03-2009 at 10:47 PM
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

you can do it BMD...lol -- let me know when you do it so I can swing by. Even in SC...

BILLET's setup doesn't count... he has hand formed fender flares about 3"-5" wider than stock... he's running WORK VARIANZA's 20x10 +11 in the rear! as KRAZIE mentioned, i took a pic of his rear lip w/ a $100 bill for size reference and it made the bill look small. CALI and i had serious wheel envy so we took pictures of our lips w/ quarters on them.

here are some pics of his REAR wheels:

here's the front (he still has significant lip and is running BEAR BIG BRAKES, but remember he is FLARED):

now back to the original queestion:

as far as deep lip and EVO brakes, how deep do you want to go? the front of course is the issue as the front BREMBO's are very large... but the rear you can go very deep since the EVO rears don't need that much room. i would suggest getting wheels that are available w/ different FACE PROFILES. companies like WORK, RAYS, SSR etc. make many of their wheels in different face profiles... what this does is allow you to keep the SAME width and similar (even same) offset between front and rear, but have dramatically different lip depth from front to rear... think of the staggered look w/o actually having to go wider/lower offset in the rear.

here is an example:

take a look at these wheels (same as BILLET's) size chart http://www.workwheelsusa.com/media/w...T1S%20Spec.pdf

look down to "Varianza T1S 20 inch Specification 2 Piece/Full Reverse"

in the last section of the chart you will see "BIG CALIPER DISK (R DISK)"

20x8 +33 R-DISK has a 38mm lip... these would be your front wheels.

in the middle section of the chart you will see "DEEP RIM DISK (O DISK)"

20x8 +38 O-DISK has a 57mm lip... these would be you rear wheels.

so your rear lips would be wider than your fronts giving you the deep lip in the back and the staggered look, but all you wheels will be 8" wide and will take the exact same tires!

other companies do this as well, you don't have to go top shelf, but the premium companies seem to have more fitaments available to do this.

TGC Regular
    Ok guys, very valuable info, especially from you Reelax, as always. I would love to have that kind of lip as pictured, but think that would be a bit more than I want to spend on this car. It would require alot to get custom molded rear fenders as well as high end wheels. However, I had seen several companies offering the type of wheel set ups as you mentioned to give a staggered setup for FWD cars. But like mentioned, I was scared to buy a set, especially over the net, and have them not fit Brembos. Just so I don't get way in over my head, I may just do a regular BBK and upgrade the calipers. Since my car is about to hit the body shop to get the kit and paint done, and the wheels and brakes will come a little later, I got some time to figure out the best attack.

And Ed, don't worry you will be one of the 1st to see what's up, cause I'll be calling you, Steve, and Nick for some help. LOL!! I'm probably not going to try to go over board to get this done cause I still need to spend $$$ to get my dual flowing a little better, and I'm on track to buy a new car in Dec. The newer ride will most definitely be RWD and I won't have to go through all this to fit a deep lip wheel.

TGC Regular
    Ok Reelax, I've been looking around like you suggested. But since I don't want to spend as on rims, like the higher end ones you posted, but I am considering something like the R1 Racing: Drift wheels. Also I'll probably just to a regular BBK and caliper upgrade vs the Evo's. The R1 Drifts in the 18's, are made to give FWD cars a staggered look with a 1.7" lip up front and 3.25" in the rear, both are +40 offset. Now I'm wondering how it would look if I used the 3.25" lipped wheels all around. Would they look good and also clear all brake / suspension components? (I remember a few members on here have these wheels, but I think they are running the 19's.)

Front wheel: 1.7" lip

Rear wheel: 3.25" lip
    Last edited by BIGMONEYDAY; 09-15-2009 at 11:34 AM

i like the design of those wheels even if they are copies of PIAA SUPER ROZZA:

as far as putting the big lip version on all 4 corners, i don't think it will work... even thought the BBK you are going to use (i'm assuming it's the POWERSLOT PLUS kit) does not use larger calipers as it simply relocates the stock calipers in order to use a larger rotor, it still needs MORE clearance than stock (since the calipers are moved away from the hub). the deep lip version of the wheels u mentioned moves the face of the wheel towards the car but maintains the overall offset by making the mounting section shallower than normal... this leaves very little room for brakes. look at the pictures of the wheels u posted. the front wheel w/ smaller lip, you can not even see through the lug holes at that angle because that secion is thick (the holes are deeper); that thickness is necessary to push the spokes away from the hub to clear the brake components. now look at the rear wheels w/ the bigger lip... you can see right through the lug holes since there is almost no material back there, meaning the spokes are almost flush to the mounting surface. the reason they can get away w/ this is the rear brakes are very small and compact since they only do about 20% of the work the front brakes need to (which is why the front brakes are always bigger), and that's why the deep lip version will be able to fit the rear. you "might" be able to get away w/ mounting the rear wheels on the front w/ significant spacers, but it will be hard to know how big they need to be w/o a test fit... and if the spacers are extrememly large, you would have to run extremely long studs or even wheel adpters w/ their own studs... which is not recomended, and then as a result you may have your front wheels sticking way outside of the fender.

also look at AXIS wheels, they have the same concept (staggered lips/smae offset) w/ their MAXIS lip models:

http://www.axiswheels.com/wheels.php?id=maxis_lip

AXIS DECADE

MOD7

TGC Regular
    As alway Reelax, your info is always on point. Your cut away tells the story the best. Guess I'm asking too much to have a deep lip on all four corners. Guess I'll have to get a truck, Charger, or Camaro to do what I want. So for now, let me look at my real choices.

yeah bro, w/ stock fenders on the the 8G, you're gonna have to balance between deep lip and brake clearance in the front. to go deep lip at all four corners AND run bigger brakes, it would require wider fenders, or severe poke (or both); the limiting factor is the fender clearance.