The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replacing Lug Stud

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    blue8g

Replacing Lug Stud

How hard is it? Could i do it by myself at home? I have basic tools nothing special.........

Ive done this. Pretty easy. You need at least two open-ended lugs. Screw one onto the old stud, but make sure it clears the rotor on the back. Take a hammer and pound it out. Then to replace the stud, put the new one in thru the back and screw the open-ended lug onto the new stud to pull it thru and lock it in place. Im sorry if that doesnt make sense.

2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS

blue8g
    i'm not going to lie that makes no sense......to me at least

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    it did to me...you pound out the old stud..insert the new stud you can use 2 open ended lugs or 1 and some washers to reseat it into the hub..alll you need is BFH and a wrench

you just need muscles and a BFH

HOT97ECLIPSEGSX
    HOT04 had it right! Good job honey :)

Get a BFH, a wrench, and some patience if you can find some. It'll take you about 45 minutes if it comes out without a fight.

Spray it real well with some CRC or seafoam to loosen any rust, and be sure not to hit the rotor with the BFH. Otherwise it's just like Hot04 said
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

I've had to all twenty on mine. i did all. took em out, and put them in, in 2 hours but i have Air tools, to do it at home, Take off your rotor and all prts in your way, Take a heavy hammer 2lb or heavier. aim carefully, hammer out the old, then put your new stud in, get you a shit load of good grade washers and really good grade nut the correct 1/2 inch socket a 1/2 inch ratchet and a pole of good strength for leverage and start cranking, put you a squirt of WD every so often it Will help pulling the bolt through and keep the new stud and lug cool, so it doesn't break on you again. on our cars the stud and lug are 1.5.
    Your signature is against the rules too - Prophet

wait so you put a open ended lug nut on it and beat the shit out of it with a BFH? sounds too easy....
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    wait so you put a open ended lug nut on it and beat the shit out of it with a BFH? sounds too easy....
    its easy. there really isn't anything more to it.
    Wanna make it easier?
    use a GBFH

1994 Galant GS-Turbo