The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: engine swap 99 galant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 39

engine swap 99 galant

long story short, serpentine belt broke and threw my timing off. This also bent all my valves leaving all my pistons with no compression.

Here's the car without the motor in it with the frame dropped.

empty engine bay

Luckey for me about 3 weeks back i found a 2004 eclipse gts motor. i planned on prepping for my turbo build.. apparently im swapping motors sooner than expected. Thank you from up above for speeding up this process

50k miles on this one currently

Dont have any pictures, but as of monday night at 11pm lol, the motor runs and sounds really good. i changed the oil and tranny fluids. I am also going to turbo build my motor with no compression, i'll keep anyone interested updated or even just update this thread

What luck i have... serpentine that was just replaced -2 weeks ago ruins motor, conveniently have another motor i bought for other reasons.. weird huh?

For anyone using this as reference, my 99 galant had a 2002 v6 with 2002 ecu in it. This makes the gts swap easier. Sorry about that, i dont believe the 99 ecu works with a 2004 gts 6g72 lol. the A/C doesnt even have the same plug so i swapped compressors. 2 of the plugs dont match on the intake plenum, one will work but needs a lil more wire. The other, im unsure of what it even does, makes a clicking noise when i hook it up to the wrong plug though. The car idles a little better even with the wrong plug on that sensor.
    Last edited by keith6110; 09-24-2009 at 11:02 PM

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    i dunno why but I am confused on how a serpentine belt breaking threw the timing off?

but good to finally see you posting haha I've been wondering where you've been. I had no idea you were building for turbo! did you mention that on MP?

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    i dunno why but I am confused on how a serpentine belt breaking threw the timing off?

but good to finally see you posting haha I've been wondering where you've been. I had no idea you were building for turbo! did you mention that on MP?
    MP? Tj got it back up and running again?
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

Nice!!!!!!
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGalant View Post
    MP? Tj got it back up and running again?
    no i meant previously in the past

i wish mp was back up, i havent heard anything from tj or even on another site from him since mp closed.

i figured you guys would be asking about how the serpentine skipped my timing. Well i just replaced it, was buying cheap belts previously so i had to tighten the belt up, then a week later tighten it again. So i just tightened the cheap belt alot so i didnt have to tighten it again next week. So that belt went, whatever. Decided to buy a more expensive belt, about 3x the cost of the previous belts, sweet better quality blah blah blah. Tightened this one as i did before and apparently it couldnt handle it and the backing shredded off this belt, it shredded itself around my harmonic balancer and also broke my power steering belt. The shreds somehow got sucked into the timing gear for the crank and stopped the crank for a short time. The belt kept going ofcourse and threw off my timing by 3 teeth. this ruined the motor, i have no compression in any of my cylinders. Timing belt is still tight on all the pulleys. explain that.

what luck that i had last week. between that and getting pulled over in a bs 30mph zone. Seriously everyone goes 40 anyways, i was going 45.. thats my f'd up story.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Experienced TGC Member
    That sucks to happen, but atleast you have a backup engine to toss in.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    That really sux the valves bent...but hey now you have that nice eclipse motor in there, but its also to bad you didnt get to work on it that would of been sweeeeeet

Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    That really sux the valves bent...but hey now you have that nice eclipse motor in there, but its also to bad you didnt get to work on it that would of been sweeeeeet
    its alright by me, just means i'll be building on the broken motor thats all. it also means im not buying a dayco belt again lol.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

either Gates or OEM Mitsubishi

either Gates or OEM Mitsubishi

Gates it is.. i ordered a mitsubishi one the first time, took 20+ weeks to get it, even tho i stopped in the dealership at least twice a month.

Where can i get a gates belt? ive never even heard of that before

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

go to www.rock-auto.com

and just side note, Gates or OEM was what TJ recommended to me. I'm currently using a Gates belt for AC/Alternator belt (no Power Steering) and an OEM Mitsubishi Timing belt for my 6G74

a lil update on the car... it runs and sounds awesome!!! Im really scared of that timing belt, im going to replace that before the motor gets to 60k miles this time lol. The car kind of starts weird compared to the other motor and im not sure why. The sound from the exhaust and the intake is completely different from the motor. Its so much quieter and alot more engine noise than exhaust noise... Used to be about equal noises from exhaust and engine. Probably due to the intake plenum being different, but im getting used to it now. Check engine light is still on, must be a fuel pump or something. I mean i replaced the engine, cant be both engines are broke lol.

Also my frames creaking, if anyone knows how to fix this, feel free to post. i replaced the shocks and struts about 10k miles ago. potholes make the car have some kind of clunking noise, dont know what thats all about. It went away when i first replaced my strut bar links but it came back.

So glad the car starts and runs. When im in the car lol it kinda sounds like a tractor, but it runs great and you cant hear anything different when youre outside of the car. any info about this can help. i have one more sensor that didn't quite fit in the intake manifold for the vacuum lines, im going to cut the wire and extend it so it will reach opposite side of the motor to plug into one of the sensors i dont have working yet. This will leave one vacuum mechanism completely non functional simply because my wiring doesnt have anymore plugs. So thats what they changed in 5 years.. lol

I will have a picture update with the motor sitting in the engine bay. Possibly a video or something, depends on the weekend weather.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

hmmm might have been easier to just put a brand new timing belt on the engine while it was out of the car. Oh well.

As for the clunking noise, I'm not really sure on that lol

and also not really sure on what sensor you are talking about that needs extending? Have you scanned for the code yet?

hmmm might have been easier to just put a brand new timing belt on the engine while it was out of the car. Oh well.

As for the clunking noise, I'm not really sure on that lol

and also not really sure on what sensor you are talking about that needs extending? Have you scanned for the code yet?

its more of a vacuum valve than a sensor im guessing. i'll take some pictures.

yes i should have replaced the timing but, i went to pick one up at advanced and they told me it will be a 2 week wait. i was also trying to get the car done before the end of the weekend so... if it wasnt for that starter trouble, i would've been fine.

havent scanned the code yet, but im conviced that the fuel pump is going bad. The other motor had the ses on it for a long time, just kept of replacing spark related stuff, nothing helped as far as getting rid of the codes. replaced o2 sensors twice, all of them. so i dont know, i'll be working on it over the weekend and keep ya posted.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Are you running the GTS Intake manifold? or your stock GT one?
    02 Diamante VRX 5spd swapped
    90 Galant GSX 5spd EvoSpec 4G63 swapped
    01 Sebring GT Coupe (6G75 Powered)(sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Bring350GT View Post
    Are you running the GTS Intake manifold? or your stock GT one?

im running the gts engine which has the manifold already on it..

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

That clunking noise you hear could be your axles. Check the cv boots for any tears. Usually when they rip, the grease flies out and gives a metal to metal sound.

2001 5 speed 4g64T

Quote Originally Posted by 01galant01 View Post
    That clunking noise you hear could be your axles. Check the cv boots for any tears. Usually when they rip, the grease flies out and gives a metal to metal sound.

nah only one of the boots were ripped, i put a new one on and packed it full of grease. wonder if the type of grease used matters... i put this red crap in it instead of whatever that white stuff is. i wonder if it has something to do with one of the A-arm mounts.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    im running the gts engine which has the manifold already on it..
    Ok well did you ever think since the GTS manifold has throttlebodys in it that maybe its the reason your car is running weird? or did you wire up the GTS manifold to work like a GTS car?
    02 Diamante VRX 5spd swapped
    90 Galant GSX 5spd EvoSpec 4G63 swapped
    01 Sebring GT Coupe (6G75 Powered)(sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast