The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: engine swap 99 galant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 39 of 39
    Quote Originally Posted by Bring350GT View Post
    Ok well did you ever think since the GTS manifold has throttlebodys in it that maybe its the reason your car is running weird? or did you wire up the GTS manifold to work like a GTS car?
    not sure what youre saying, theres only one more plugin that im missing on the vacuum lines on the intake plenum.. i also do not have any plugs im able to wire to that. not sure what that valve or sensor even does. Something that controls or reads the vacuum lines anyways. I dont know how you could possibly wire up the manifold another way. Everything plugs in from my other motor to this gts one with the exception of the a/c.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Quote Originally Posted by keith6110 View Post
    not sure what youre saying, theres only one more plugin that im missing on the vacuum lines on the intake plenum.. i also do not have any plugs im able to wire to that. not sure what that valve or sensor even does. Something that controls or reads the vacuum lines anyways. I dont know how you could possibly wire up the manifold another way. Everything plugs in from my other motor to this gts one with the exception of the a/c.
    That motor is a 10:01 compression and runs MVIM (Mitsubishi Variable Induction Management) the little butterfly valves inside the manifold open at a certian RPM, if you don't have it working it might have probs running right. IDK? you should be fine if you block that one vac line going to the runners (IE Butterfly valves) it should keep them open all the time. check out this thread on Club3g.com
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/performa...onversion.html
    Last edited by Bring380GT; 09-17-2009 at 06:39 PM
    02 Diamante VRX 5spd swapped
    90 Galant GSX 5spd EvoSpec 4G63 swapped
    01 Sebring GT Coupe (6G75 Powered)(sold)

ahh, thank you for helping me understand, i knew the compression thing, had no idea that they had butterfly valves in them... thanks, i learned something today lol. im thinking maybe its my fuel pump? my service engine soon light is still on, and i changed the engine lol. I just replaced the o2 sensors, i'll have to hook it up to the computer again and see what it says. i'll let ya know after this weekend if i fix anything. thanks for your help!

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

ahh, thank you for helping me understand, i knew the compression thing, had no idea that they had butterfly valves in them... thanks, i learned something today lol. im thinking maybe its my fuel pump? my service engine soon light is still on, and i changed the engine lol. I just replaced the o2 sensors, i'll have to hook it up to the computer again and see what it says. i'll let ya know after this weekend if i fix anything. thanks for your help!
    No problem man
    02 Diamante VRX 5spd swapped
    90 Galant GSX 5spd EvoSpec 4G63 swapped
    01 Sebring GT Coupe (6G75 Powered)(sold)

Keith, don't worry about trying to troubleshoot yourself. Just use an OBD scanner and figure out exactly what it is.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

From what I recall, the butterfiles essentially change the runner length from short to long. I forget, but without a vacuum source, the butterflies just keep it in one of the configs (short/long).

I recall reading on Club3G.com that there was a change in the ECU/distributor after 2002(?). Are you using your stock ECU?

Edit: found the link - http://www.club3g.com/forum/gt-gts/1...ml#post2687171
    Note: lots of BS in the link, but some good info nonetheless.
    Last edited by DryBear; 09-20-2009 at 09:46 AM

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bring350GT View Post
    That motor is a 10:01 compression and runs MVIM (Mitsubishi Variable Induction Management) the little butterfly valves inside the manifold open at a certian RPM, if you don't have it working it might have probs running right. IDK? you should be fine if you block that one vac line going to the runners (IE Butterfly valves) it should keep them open all the time. check out this thread on Club3g.com
    http://www.club3g.com/forum/performa...onversion.html
    Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post
    From what I recall, the butterfiles essentially change the runner length from short to long. I forget, but without a vacuum source, the butterflies just keep it in one of the configs (short/long).
    Check out the link in my sig for the Intake stuff. You should be able pull the valves out (which is what I have done for now) to actually get the full flowing potential of the manifold's design.

The valves don't change the actual runner length, but merely the amount of air flow going into the chamber based on the engine RPM. The design is really great if you want to maintain the intended performance design. When the valves are closed it allows sufficient airflow into the chamber at lower RPMs, but when you get into the mid-high RPMs more airflow is needed and the valves will then open to allow that.

The system is basically a progressive opening/closing variable intake, meaning it doesn't completely open/close at a given RPM. On your GTS manifold it looks like it is run just from a vacuum signal and not electrical like the XG350 manifold. To make the XG350 manifold work as designed it requires a custom module to operate based off the TPS signal on our cars. This is something I had been working on getting made, but time and money are the issue preventing further development of the module.

Whether you are interested in the variable intake operation, or just taking the valves out, a good thing to increase the bottom end on a stock motor would be getting a set of short-tubed headers. You could pick up a set of long-tubes if you wanted to get more high-end RPM output for racing, but if you are planning to build boosted engine you could easily save a great deal of money buying a set of the shorties on ebay for around $200.
    Last edited by SPD_FRK; 09-20-2009 at 12:30 PM

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by DryBear View Post

I recall reading on Club3G.com that there was a change in the ECU/distributor after 2002(?). Are you using your stock ECU?

Edit: found the link - http://www.club3g.com/forum/gt-gts/1...ml#post2687171
    Note: lots of BS in the link, but some good info nonetheless.
    well sorry for no picture update guys, i'll get right on that lol.. a lil busy with work/school.

For the ECU swap. i forgot to mention. my car had a 2002 v6 engine in a 99 body. So the ecu was 2002 as well.. bought the car repo'd. had 60k miles on the body, probably less on the motor when i actually got the car. No real way to tell i guess. but now i have this eclipse motor in, so things are a little more clear. found out the hard way i had a newer engine in it when i ordered about 10 different belts lol. i should have just known since i had to replace 4 o2 sensors. All well, i'll throw some of this in my first post and get back to everyone on monday.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

heres some pictures finally...

still working on the video, will post a link to it probably during the weekend, have to edit it and stuff.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Good job Keith. Always nice to see something different like a GTS manifold compared to the stock one on 99% of the other V6's. Other than that, a couple cans of engine degreaser and a brush would work miracles under the hood :)
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Quote Originally Posted by M-Rod View Post
    Good job Keith. Always nice to see something different like a GTS manifold compared to the stock one on 99% of the other V6's. Other than that, a couple cans of engine degreaser and a brush would work miracles under the hood :)
    thanks, its not the first time i was told to clean under the hood lol.. i think its funny that the new motor doesn't have mitsubishi on the valve cover. i also like the looks and sound difference with the gts intake manifold, makes it look so much different/better.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

sorry i made deadlines i cant meet. i suck at life, anyways im working on a masterpiece video lol. my lifes a little complicated right now and it sucks. i'll try to make it back on the site soon with some progress.

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Your life is not a good excuse for not getting us vids. lol Good job on the swap.

kinda digging this thread out of the graveyard, but i finally found the willpower to make a video of everything. let me know what you guys think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6lKMnz7-zs

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

blue8g
    what's the light on the dash for? lol

Quote Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
    what's the light on the dash for? lol
    for being awesome.. lol, i cant really figure it out. im going to change the fuel pump and see if that fixes it. im guessing its fuel pressure related. The lights been on since before the motor swap. i swapped engines and still on. its like, what? i changed the whole thing! lol

Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

l light CHEK board is the engine that turns on when the sensor is dirty air filter is dirty or dust i hence the pink powder inside the sensor activates the light

PuristMike
    Gates it is.. i ordered a mitsubishi one the first time, took 20+ weeks to get it, even tho i stopped in the dealership at least twice a month.

Where can i get a gates belt? ive never even heard of that before
    I pretty this is a dead thread lol but just for anyone wondering, Mitsuboshi (Mitsubishi OEM belts) and Gates are both sold at NAPA (Gates makes NAPA belts)... Pricing is roughly $25 for the Gates and $35-$40 for the Mitsuboshi belts -of course I get employee pricing that's normally about half retail cost :D- but just in case anyone wants to save some money as opposed to a dealer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12