The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: negative timing

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

negative timing

I am not a professional obviously but i so far I have had no real issues with my build (that i know of). any way after my pitiful performance at the track I decided to up my boost but it seems at 19lbs i have to use negative timing at one point.. Im sure I can use 1 or 2 degrees in that area but what i want to know is - is it ok to run negative timing or is it normal that I would need negative timing on a stock engine??
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Experienced TGC Member
    To really get a good tune you will play with the timing throughout the RPM range...but on a boosted engine it isn't uncommon to retard timing "x" degrees per pound of boost to obtain the most performance throughout your RPM range.

You cn do some minor tuning yourself, and if you have a datalogger system you can get some real-world results for your specific driving instead of going to a dyno.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You shouldnt have negative timing under 100% load. What are you using to tune? Post up some logs with AFR, RPM, knock, and timing.
    7g for life!

i dont drive my car during the week so i would have to post logs on the weekend.. I have an evo 8 ecu with ecuflash -- - my last tune on 16psi i was running 5 degrees advance but when i bumped the psi up i had to run a few load cells in the negatives or i would get 2 counts of knock... **load is way over 100 its at 245 with 19psi... I have never seen a log hit a negative number which if i am correct there is no advance and we are now retarding btdc??
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Well first off, what is your injector duty cycle? If you are running 450cc injectors, I bet they are way over 100%. On a 2L 4g63 and a 14b, the 450cc max out at 17-18psi. Running a 2.4L and a 16g, I bet the 450s are past 100% @ 14-15psi. What octane gas are you running? Have any e85 stations around?

Post up some screenshots from your ECU flash.
    7g for life!

they are now at 89% at 16psi they were at 80ish..... i have some 680ss i may throw in as im at the limit