The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Best Buy Remote Start Quote (BS?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 27

Best Buy Remote Start Quote (BS?)

Hey guys

So I called best buy today, told the install bay guy that I have a 2000 galant es, 4 cylinder, how much is the most basic remote start with install. I told him to check if I need a bypass, because I've heard that I did.

Now he tells me that the basic remote start (just on/off) with install, out the door, is 200$.

He looked in the computer, searched for my car and it told him that I won't be needing a bypass, so that's why its so cheap.

This sounds odd to me, because every post I've seen on here you guys have said you've needed a bypass.

I asked him 3 times for clarity, he assured me I dnt need one, 200$ out the door.

What do you guys think?

Experienced TGC Member
    make him give you the estimate in writing and if it dont work they call it the loss and not you.

do you have an N etched on your key? if you do, then you'll need a bypass. if you dont have the N, then you wont need it

Experienced TGC Member fliegendaffe's Avatar
    obviously he was just looking in the Autotech fitguide and not looking at directechs. if he was looking at directechs it would have told him you did need one. to my knowledge, 2000+ do need bypasses

my car is a 2000 but the key doesnt have an "N". Though it has an "R" on it.

maybe thats the difference.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

I, as well, have an R etched into my key. Does that mean I'm good and won't need one?

And yes, I shall get the estimate in writing, and if anything "comes up" during the install I can just tell them no thanks right?

PS just looked at my friend's key, same car as mine but a year older, 1999, and his key doesn't have anything, so I'm assuming he wouldn't need one.

What does the R mean?

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHunter View Post
    I, as well, have an R etched into my key. Does that mean I'm good and won't need one?

And yes, I shall get the estimate in writing, and if anything "comes up" during the install I can just tell them no thanks right?

PS just looked at my friend's key, same car as mine but a year older, 1999, and his key doesn't have anything, so I'm assuming he wouldn't need one.

What does the R mean?
    1999 doesn't need one at all.

weird... Mine has an N on it. I dont know the difference then. I would go with what fliegendaff said then

Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    weird... Mine has an N on it. I dont know the difference then. I would go with what fliegendaff said then
    isn't yours an 02?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

I have an 01 Gtz with an R on the key and i need a bypass

i thought any etching on the key means there is a transponder but im not sure -- the easiest way other than someone knowing for sure is to spend 1 buck on a key copy and try it in ur car -- if it starts u dont need a bypass haha
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathansgalant View Post
    i thought any etching on the key means there is a transponder but im not sure -- the easiest way other than someone knowing for sure is to spend 1 buck on a key copy and try it in ur car -- if it starts u dont need a bypass haha
    it will start and it will run for about 2 seconds but then it dies the computer doesnt see the chip and it wont run
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

Our keys are chipped? It looks way too small, I thought it was just a rubber covering on the key, not an actual chip.

That's what I've basically gathered, chipped key = bypass needed right?

Well if I go to best buy with 200$, tell them to print me a quote and sign it, ackowledging that they told me 200$ out the door, and I didn't need a transponder, would that be an acceptable form of "proof", so that if they call me in the middle of the install saying "hey man, you need a bypass, thats +100$" I can either say stop the install or finish it because you said it would only be 200$?

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHunter View Post
    Our keys are chipped? It looks way too small, I thought it was just a rubber covering on the key, not an actual chip.

That's what I've basically gathered, chipped key = bypass needed right?

Well if I go to best buy with 200$, tell them to print me a quote and sign it, ackowledging that they told me 200$ out the door, and I didn't need a transponder, would that be an acceptable form of "proof", so that if they call me in the middle of the install saying "hey man, you need a bypass, thats +100$" I can either say stop the install or finish it because you said it would only be 200$?
    YUP! take that shit to management if they fucked up and made that mistake...but you might have trouble getting them to sign it

Quote Originally Posted by showtime View Post
    YUP! take that shit to management if they fucked up and made that mistake...but you might have trouble getting them to sign it
    Alright, so if I ask them, specifically.

"So what you are telling me, is that my vehicle does not require a bypass, thus I will not be incurring any additional fee past the $199.99, which is the "out the door" cost of the remote start unit in question, plus the price of installation. If any "surprise fees" show up during install, the install will either be abandoned, or I shall not incurr the cost."

(in layman's terms)

and if they say YES to that, and they end up calling me saying I need a bypass I can take it up with the manager?

Experienced TGC Member
    You need it in writing or something man. Best buy employees are idiots. I bought some shit from them for my pioneer head unit to hook up satellite radio and the guy guranteed me that was ALL that i needed after asking him 5 times. Well it wasnt everything i needed and i talked to the manager and they didnt do shit for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    You need it in writing or something man. Best buy employees are idiots. I bought some shit from them for my pioneer head unit to hook up satellite radio and the guy guranteed me that was ALL that i needed after asking him 5 times. Well it wasnt everything i needed and i talked to the manager and they didnt do shit for me.
    i'm offended. not all of us best buy employees are complete idiots.

if the car starts which it didnt for me u will get the green key light so either way u will know.. Best buy wont eat the cost but i think for 200 that is including a bypass if u need it because 200 is alot for an alarm install..
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fliegendaffe View Post
    i'm offended. not all of us best buy employees are complete idiots.
    Im sorry if you feel that way. Im sure you work with TONS of idiots ;-)

the sales guys are idiots!! me and my fellow installer have to correct them sooooooooooooooo many times....shit one of my sales guys didn't know what the hell a 5ch amp was

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast