The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7g vr4 4g63t swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 25

7g vr4 4g63t swap

hey guys

need a little help with the conversion im doing, anyway iv got a 7g vr4 that im doing a conversion with a evo 4g63 but iv run into a little problem with the engine mounts im using

im using a mix of the mounts from the 6a12tt it came with and some of the evo mounts but with the top and rear gearbox mounts bolted in place the cambelt side is to close to the chassis

as you can see buy the photo

i noticed that a few of the guys on these forums had done the swap on other 7g's, wondering what mounts you guys had used on your cars

cheers

sorry if i posted this in the wrong place
    Last edited by 7gvr4; 09-19-2009 at 07:05 AM

we just use the stock USDM 7g mounts. for the 4G64. You can also use 2g eclipse turbo mounts. out of a 95-99 eclipse turbo.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

TGC Regular
    Might be a bit hard to get them here man.... you'd probably be best to get custom made ones, and have them certed, seeing as you're going to have to have the engine certed anyway.
    1994 Galant VR-4 GOKUH ( 230kw atw )
    2000 Legnum VR-4 ( Daily, 155.5kw atw )
    1997 Legnum VR-4 - Yes Another one
    1995 FTO - V6 Mivec 200hp

yeah im going to ring round a few places and see what i can find, might try and use 6g vr4 mounts if i have to

i take it with USDM mounts that the rear and crossmember mounts are on the engine and not on the gearbox

Yep we use stock usdm 7g mounts.

The rear mount for usdm is actually on the trans...
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

Quote Originally Posted by 7gvr4 View Post
    yeah im going to ring round a few places and see what i can find, might try and use 6g vr4 mounts if i have to

i take it with USDM mounts that the rear and crossmember mounts are on the engine and not on the gearbox
    no. the usdm mounts are on the transmission.

the mounts are aluminum, so its really not going to cost you much to ship them, and they are a dime a dozen at the junkyards.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

yeah they are proving hard to find in NZ, apart from brand new ones which are going to cost around $500

i'm fairly certain you could get a set of blown ones from the US for next to free plus shipping. They don't weigh much, and will fit in a pretty small box. Then just install Prothane inserts and done.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

any idea who i could get them from though, im not to familiar with any wreckers or anything like that in the states, probably going to need the crossmember as well

i can get you the mount from a yard but the crossmember is big to ship. what's yours look like. they should be the same

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

all i can remember off the top of my head is that it bolts on to the subframe and the front mount off the gearbox, i have been told that the vr4 crossmember is different to the other models in that the rubber bush on mine is on the crossmember
    Last edited by 7gvr4; 09-21-2009 at 04:58 AM

TGC Regular
    I have been thinking about this actually.....

What gearbox are you running?
    If you're running the evo one and still have your 6A12 one sitting around, just see if the 6A12 one will mate up, that way you can just use the factory mounts.
    Or if it's not going to make that easily, see if the bellhousings can be swapped over, as the gearboxes are pretty much the same in size and both run the same way.

You won't need to worry about the clutch not mating as that connects to the flywheel and the spline should be the same.

im running the evo gearbox but the bellhousings are different compared to the 6a12 so i cant run that, im still running the 6a12 engine mounts on the evo gearbox (they bolt up to the same place) the problem is that with those mounts on it pushes the cambelt side to close to the chassis so i need to sort out a different set of mounts to move the engine back over away from the chassis, then there becomes a problem with the driveshaft not being straight

TGC Regular
    well looking at the pics of the 4G64 engine mounts, that one with a bend in it should work to sit it in place. Is the engine actually touching the chassis ?

yeah it is, had to pull of the waterpump pulleys to get it to sit in the engine bay and it was one hell of a mission just to get it that far, been thinking bout trying evo mounts, but im gonna give speedtech and vaughns a call today and see if they have any ideas

TGC Regular
    Hmm... Custom engine mounts and drive shaft then.
    Might be a tad expensive though.

check this out.
    i came across it the other day.
    http://stores.punishment-racing.com/...num/Detail.bok

Yeah I've been eying the Avid mounts for a while. I wouldn't mind just getting a front and rear mount since its solid urethane and not inserts

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

now thats a good deal works out to just under 500nzd including shipping

thanks for that link might have to order those

and atleast id know that these would fit although the rear and crossmember would need alittle bit of modification but not much
    Last edited by 7gvr4; 09-22-2009 at 12:13 AM

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    do you have a picture of your top and rear gear mounts? What mounts are you using from the 6a12 and how are they shaped compared to the evo or 4g64 mounts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast