The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: B+ Wire on Alternator

Showing results 1 to 4 of 4
    Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar

B+ Wire on Alternator

OK guys, finally a problem that I cannot solve on my own car came up. Last week my car was acting funny so i started to get concerned and it finally happen. My car wouldnt turn on. So I though all I needed was a jump or something but when I went to jump it, it turned on but only stood on for a few seconds. Finally today I got into the engine bay and took off the alternator to test it out and make sure it was working good. When I got to the B+ wire, it was all corroded and some of the wire was cut off. How that happen. I am not sure but the point is now i have to fix my baby. Is the B+ wire part of the engine harness or can I just pick up another 1 from a dealer? I was trying to locate the entire wire but I am out at college and took my alternator off in between classes. LOL!!!!! Anyways, any help will be great. Thanks.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

if you had the time, you could pull out the entire engine harness and remove the wire to the alternator and run a new 4 gauge wire in its place. The problem is the alternator wire is taped and wireloomed into the rest of the harness.

There is nothing wrong with running a seperate power wire to the alternator and leaving the stock one in place tho. Just make sure the power wire is protected by some wireloom and ziptied securely.

I ran a seperate power wire once and didnt protect it. the movement of the car + heat in the bay rubbed a hole in the wire after 1 week and blew the fusible link to the alternator

i would just splice another one to it and your all done, just get you another wire the same gauge and splice them together with a good connector and make sure both connectors are crimped really good. get you some shrink tube and put it on both ends to keep it water tight.
    Your signature is against the rules too - Prophet

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    thanks for the information qnz. i just looked up a engine harness and its going for like $414. i am not going to buy that some just the B+ wire. im going to splice into the wire or something. ill see what i can do. thanks again.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4