The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Timing

I have couple questions because ill be working soon in timing belts area. Ill be changing water pump. Would this one be ok? http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...PartType=C0331 Also i changed timing belt , the bigger one i know there is another smaller one in there as well. What is this smaller one called? sry if its sounds nooby lol Another one , except 2 belts and water pump is there anything else from this area i should change?? my car has 84,000 miles on.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Smaller belt is the balance shaft belt. When you change the tbelt, it is highly recommended to change the idler pulley, tbelt tensioner, hydrolic tensioner, and balance shaft tensioner. Parts for a tbelt job including the water pump is usually around $200-300.

If you arent going to order parts from a dealer, I would order from:
    http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/index.html
    7g for life!

Unless you have some advance skills and have done t-belt job before, I wouldnt suggest you do that on your own, unless you have someone to do it for you. Manuals are not very clear on how to assemble everything and especially how to put it in time, theyll tell you how to take it apart tho, but everyone can do that
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Unless you have some advance skills and have done t-belt job before, I wouldnt suggest you do that on your own, unless you have someone to do it for you. Manuals are not very clear on how to assemble everything and especially how to put it in time, theyll tell you how to take it apart tho, but everyone can do that
    yes i know , my dads friend is a mechanic he does it for me , he did timing belt for me around april when i got my galant but now is time to do the rest of the things.

http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/product139.html would this water pump be ok?
    Also i 6 months ago i put Duralast timing belt in...... do you think it would be better to buy this kit and throw out the duralast belt and put those two?? http://www.store.partsdinosaur.com/product1472.html If i do this KIT and Water pump is it enough for now??
    Last edited by kondypl; 09-22-2009 at 01:28 PM

sence this is a current timing tread, is there any way to trick the ecu into adding timing or ulling it for that fact, I have coil packs so clocking is out.

Get 1g CAS and rewire your current CAS and CPS.

But your ECU has knock sensor, itll adjust timing when necessary.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Get 1g CAS and rewire your current CAS and CPS.

But your ECU has knock sensor, itll adjust timing when necessary.
    I already have done timing. I changed timing belt , tensioners , balance shaft belt and water pump. Now I'm thinking about exhaust. Im waiting for your answer about headers.

Headers are for sale. I just need to take a picture

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RedLine DOHC View Post
    sence this is a current timing tread, is there any way to trick the ecu into adding timing or pulling it for that fact, I have coil packs so clocking is out.
    you have knock dependent timing advance. Your ecu advances timing on its own. You could run a 1g CAS and clock it, but the honest best bet for you is to simply use premium fuel(required to get the most advanced timing maps on the DOHC ecu) and install 3g revised lifters to eliminate phantom knock(caused by lifter tick) that will rob you of timing.
    While you are installing the revised lifters, you oughtta install some 272 cams with springs and retainers and make more power that way. While you are at it you could replace the valve seals and eliminate the most common cause of oil consumption in our cars.
    Last edited by DOHCstunr; 10-19-2009 at 01:01 PM

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

ya what sucks about Iowa is the mid grade is 10% ethanol so 92 or bust... would there be any gain if i put a resistor in the knock sensor wire to the ecu to keep phantom knock down and only allow the ecu to pick up large knocks?

TGC Regular
    I dont think that would work.. I have never heard of it being tried.. Soo i woul,d probibly say not...

and with cams....63 head cams fit right.... is there and modification that needs to be done... can i use the stock timing marks, is there an advance to modify over lap that needs done for better drivablity..... and does anyone have any they want to part with?
    A link to the springs, revised lifters and retainers from a company some one here as bought from and not been screwed would be great

No, cams form 63 fit right in, but youll see gains only if youre turbo'd. If you want to stay N/A then stock cams will make more power than upgraded. The stock cam gears will work as well or You can buy adjustable cam gears for 63, but thats a waste of money for me, at least for these power levels.

Lifters:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LASH-...item5ad41e4265

Springs and retainers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BRIAN...item5185d8df1b

Some people just upgrade to Evo 8-9 springs and retainers, not sure about the lifters.

Build Thread

starting small and working up.......wanting to go turbo and have a long list like you do mko.... would it do anything to do the cams now, like drivability wise, have ordered my magnaflow exhaust and when it gets here this week I'm doing 2.5 inch cat back, I also found the brakes I want from R1 concepts and the ebc green stuff pads. getting those in the next couple weeks i hope

Does any one have a tutorial for clutch replacement and cam replacement? searched and didnt any.
    Would new rockers be good to do with the lifters... found a tutiorial on dsm tuners for doing lifters with the cam still in...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...s-lifters.html
    Last edited by RedLine DOHC; 10-19-2009 at 08:14 PM

Go to DSM tuners. There are lots of helpful info there about what youre asking.

Clutch is easy. The whole 5 spd swap took me and Bronxbomr 13 hrs, so clutch job would be some like 3-6 hours.

As of cam shafts, you need to take the t-belt off and redo it again.

Build Thread