The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Crash Bar ?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Crash Bar ?

I have been meaning to ask...I know that when we do the JDM bumper swap we have to remove our crash bar...is the JDM version of our car built without one or is there another type of crash bar out there? Basically do the JDM Galants have a shorter crash bar or is just not a regulation they even bother with?

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Edit: I thought this was posted in the 8G section. Not sure about 7Gs.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

They have a shorter crash bar (or using less metal) compared to usdm version. I remember talking about the 96 vr-g models came with an even shorter one but that was a long time ago. Your best bet is to let someone who has a jdm model take pics of their crash bar and compare it with ours.

Ok...yeah I wasnt sure. It is not something the 7Gers ever mentioned. I figured it would have to have something. I still think it wouldnt be too much just to modify our USDM one to fit.

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    im just taking my crashbar out and the jdm bumper seems so much shorter that if we do modify ours there wont be much left.. i could be wrong though
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

all that the JDM bumper has is a bracket....

Just took a look under my car...
    Here in Europe we donĀ“t have a crashbar, only a small metall-lip that holds the cover...

o was thinking something like that as our crash bar has a spot for turn signals that dont exist on the JDM bumpers and it sticks out pretty far so just get rid of it seems to be the best option for us
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    I made a crashbar. Just welded a some brackets and a steel pipe to the factory crashbar mounts. Better then nothing.
    7g for life!

yeah the JDM cars just have a bracket type thing that helps the bumbper keep shape and secures the foglamps.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

With a JDM bumper, your upper half is pretty much effed any 95% of front end accidents(headlights/hood/tbar) as the front of the bumper sticks out no more then an inch or two. With the USDM, its a good 6" or more sticking out and would be able to absorb more.

My crashbar would probably only protect my radiator to a certain extent.
    Last edited by seth98esT; 09-29-2009 at 04:20 PM
    7g for life!

so seth.. in your opinion, was it worth making the crash bar or would it have saved you time and effort to go with nothing?
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

i have been running no crashbar since i swapped. the jdm bumpers sit soooooooo much closer to the radiator and all.

it's best to have something there, but if the car is low enough as most of ours are, then the crashbar doesn't even take the impact. like seth said it goes straight to the headlights/t-bar/hood/radiator

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.