The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cylinder 4 misfire

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 40 of 40
    i can take pics for you. yes the cap and rotor can be bought at any autoparts store and are fairly cheap.

my dist cap and spark plug wires say wich cylinder is wich.

if i remember correcty the one closest to the timing belt is number 1

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

thanks bro. I would really appreciate that. It's supposed to rain here overnight and into tomorrow. I'm hoping it is dry when I wake up so I can look into this.
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

TGC Regular
    The fuel filter is located on the fire wall on your passenger side.. Just follow your fuel line from your fuel rain and you will run into it.. I believe the firing order starting from the timing belt is 1324 but im not sure.. It doesnt matter with that just when you take the wires off the distributer label them from top to bottom...

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    cylinder 1 is the 1 closest to the timing belt

for the wires and this is from the book

1 is closest to front of the car on distributor
    2 is the back
    3 is right behind 1
    4 is in between 2 and 3

hope that helps
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

thanks Chris. Well that parts atleast right LOL. Guess if it wasn't I'd have a lot more problems and woulda had them for a while now.
    this is how it looks

So it looks like I am going to head to NAPA and get a rotor and distributor cap. I guess would could it hurt. If they haven't even been replaced yet

2001 Galant ES

TGC Regular
    Well you should replace them. No it couldnt hurt.. Are you overheating?? I noticed that your upper coolant hose is swollern.. That means that your thermostat is going.. You might want to replace that as well..

with some help from Denver I got the distributor cap off and the rotor and replaced those. Also reset the battery too. The terminals on the old cap didn't look too bad, the rotor on the other hand looked kinda worn. The car is idling normal and I took it up and down my street a few times and seems to be issue free right not. Waiting for the rush hour to end so I can take it for a ride and make sure. Thanks everyone for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    Well you should replace them. No it couldnt hurt.. Are you overheating?? I noticed that your upper coolant hose is swollern.. That means that your thermostat is going.. You might want to replace that as well..
    nope not overheating and haven't since I've owned her. I will look into replacing the thermostat as well in the near future.
    Last edited by mrjaydeeone; 10-07-2009 at 04:44 PM

2001 Galant ES

hope everything works out for you Jay

well im glad that part was right.. hope its all good to go now Jay
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

okay so the problem isn't fixed. And I can't seem to make it happen when I want it to. Seems like in 2nd somewhere around 30mph occassionally the car feels like it is doing to cut out. But then manages to keep on going, it backfired once today while I had it out. Not sure whatelse I need to look at.

2001 Galant ES

TGC Regular
    did you replace the fuel filter????

what condition is the oxygen sensor in? you can just unscrew it and see if it looks jacked up but that aint no cheap fix. its like 80 bux.

so you said it's not throwing any codes. this is weird then

You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

TGC Regular
    I think it might be somthing with the fuel... Pull your fuel filter off.. Then blow into the bottom of your filter... It should be very easy to blow air through it.. If there is resistance then replace the fuel filter...

did you replace the fuel filter????
    Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    what condition is the oxygen sensor in? you can just unscrew it and see if it looks jacked up but that aint no cheap fix. its like 80 bux.

so you said it's not throwing any codes. this is weird then
    I think it might be somthing with the fuel... Pull your fuel filter off.. Then blow into the bottom of your filter... It should be very easy to blow air through it.. If there is resistance then replace the fuel filter...
    haven't checked with the fuel filter. Not sure if I want to mess with that on my own. I do have another one in the trunk though so if it needs to be replaced I have the part on hand. Nope it isn't throwing any codes, but I have only gone lets say a little over 100 miles since I cleared the code out. It normally takes what a few hundred miles to come back, if any since resetting battery. Not sure about the condition of the 02 sensor. I don't know if this helps at all, it seems to only start getting boggy like when I full accelerate, and that seems to be when the car will back fire as well. Not really sure what is the issue. But I am taking it to Roman's mechanic on Monday AM to see what he has to say about it.

2001 Galant ES

when my O2 sensor went it didnt throw a code and felt boggy as well.. might be a pump or clogged filter too

when the O2 sensor dies it just sends the ECU a lean signal so it dumps full at open throttle as a saftey to not blow it up
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

hey guys, i just started having the same problem with my 95 galant s about 3 days ago, the cylinder next to the distributor isnt firing after a cold start, although gas is getting in there and when it does start firing (usually after 10 minutes after a cold start) there is lots of blue smoke from unburnt gas im guessing (smells like gas). i replaced the fuel filter less thant 2 months ago and i replaced the cap and rotor over the summer.

i got a new set of plugs and wires yesterday but it didnt help... there isnt much oil in the spark plug tube and I'm not sure what else to check... shes got about 130K now and ive changed the oil regularly

I have a compression tester which I'm about to use but I'm really afraid of a broken valve or ring cause then this car is RIP for me.

will let you know the results later

UPDATE:

I've found the problem, one of the wires (a green one) going to my distributer was grounding out..a little bit of electrical tape fixed the problem. heres the pictures...

Last edited by Racer_S; 10-13-2009 at 12:07 PM

Racer_S glad you got your problem resolved.
    but that wasn't the issue with mine. you were right MKO. Distributor needed to be replaced. Mechanic pulled it out and there was oil in it. Replaced the distributor and backfire is gone and car is behaving

2001 Galant ES

Quote Originally Posted by mrjaydeeone View Post
    Racer_S glad you got your problem resolved.
    but that wasn't the issue with mine. you were right MKO. Distributor needed to be replaced. Mechanic pulled it out and there was oil in it. Replaced the distributor and backfire is gone and car is behaving
    glad you got it fixed! so it's back to being faster than the 8G

Quote Originally Posted by kolio View Post
    glad you got it fixed! So it's back to being faster than the 8g
    lol. :)

2001 Galant ES

good to hear you fix it.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12