The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cylender Honing tool

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    TGC Regular

Cylender Honing tool

ok so as many of you know my G is in pieces right now. It was in my garage out of the weather but then me and MKO started painting his car so i had to move it outside.. I did my best to try and keep it from getting weathered but since the head is off the cylenders have started to get some surface rust... So i am going to need a cylender honing tool... But i have no clue where to find one... Idk what size i would need or anything like that. Please can someone help me with this? The last thing i want to do is buy a cheap one that isnt even and i funk my walls up.

Pepboys for 27 bucks and the extra stones are some like 10 bucks
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    ok so as many of you know my G is in pieces right now. It was in my garage out of the weather but then me and MKO started painting his car so i had to move it outside.. I did my best to try and keep it from getting weathered but since the head is off the cylenders have started to get some surface rust... So i am going to need a cylender honing tool... But i have no clue where to find one... Idk what size i would need or anything like that. Please can someone help me with this? The last thing i want to do is buy a cheap one that isnt even and i funk my walls up.
    are the pistons out of the motor? Because when you hone a cylinder the fine metal shavings from the honing process will fall into the block, typically you hone a block after its bored then you clean it and re-assemble. Depending on how bad the rust is, if you never changed the pistons or rings, I would just leave it and put it back together. if the rust is heavy enough to require that much attention, you should consider taking apart the bottom end and do it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

TGC Regular
    The rust isnt really too bad.. but it feels to me like it started to pit a little bit... I havent taken the pistons out. I just wanted to clean up the walls first.. Still up in the air if i am going to replace rings or not yet

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    if your gonna replace the rings then you need to hone it anyway, if not, I would say just try and go with it, the first time those rings pass by those "pits" it should clean it up. If it really is pitted, a hone isnt going to fix that, you would likely need to bore it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

TGC Regular
    ok kool thanks stewi!