The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 6G72 swap question...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 34
    bitco23

6G72 swap question...

I have a 99 Galant and i wanted to swap engines and i was wondering if anyone has done this swap and would this fit in a 8gen?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-M...Q5fAccessories

blue8g
    no...........

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    No one has done this swap before, but for good reason: the engine is orientated in the wrong direction. Basically the transmission would be on the passenger's side, whereas in the 8G the transmission is on the driver's side

bitco23
    oh tru thanks ....know of any badass swaps i could do lol? i have some money to spend..perhaps a 4G63?

blue8g
    if anything 6g74........to do a 4g63 you'd need to swap out the front subframe iirc

you could be the first one to try and attempt swapping those heads on the sohc 6g72.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    That would be sweet if everything wasnt so diff for the TT motors

Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    That would be sweet if everything wasnt so diff for the TT motors
    you could just swap the heads, rear head goes on the front and the front head goes on the rear, use the crank sprocket from the dohc motor with the dohc tbelt and all the supporting stuff from the dohc top. I could see it working.

1996 galant s

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    you could just swap the heads, rear head goes on the front and the front head goes on the rear, use the crank sprocket from the dohc motor with the dohc tbelt and all the supporting stuff from the dohc top. I could see it working.

Yeah I didnt really think about swapping the heads, but also what about tranny thats on the other side....I mean yes this can deff work just alot of time and money. I wanted to do this with the 3000 gto motor but their would have to be alot of work done to make that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Galantfan88 View Post
    Yeah I didnt really think about swapping the heads, but also what about tranny thats on the other side....I mean yes this can deff work just alot of time and money. I wanted to do this with the 3000 gto motor but their would have to be alot of work done to make that happen.
    That would be to much work, the heads a cemetrical (meaning the bolt patterns and the hole patterns are the same). Just 5spd swap a 3g trans and swap the heads like i said and im damn sure it would work. Most people dont think about it, they see that the timing belt is on the opposite side so they think nothing will work from one to the other. If you think about it, if you where to head swap it with the the rear bank on the front and the front bank on the rear everything would line up, the intake sides of the heads would be in the center and the exhaust sides would be where they need to be. Just use the intake manifold from the 3kgt, with the TT setup, you would have one strong galant.

1996 galant s

Quote Originally Posted by Galant306m View Post
    That would be to much work, the heads a cemetrical (meaning the bolt patterns and the hole patterns are the same). Just 5spd swap a 3g trans and swap the heads like i said and im damn sure it would work. Most people dont think about it, they see that the timing belt is on the opposite side so they think nothing will work from one to the other. If you think about it, if you where to head swap it with the the rear bank on the front and the front bank on the rear everything would line up, the intake sides of the heads would be in the center and the exhaust sides would be where they need to be. Just use the intake manifold from the 3kgt, with the TT setup, you would have one strong galant.
    Heyyy maybe my next project when I get a second car, right now I just got done building my motor for my galant and just waiting for the day to put it in and the 5 speed swap

yea if i can get a deal on a 8g galant ive been planing this one for awhile 3g gt 5spd and DOHC 6g72 tt. Id be the first one to ever to the swap too so it would be alot of work and would have to figure shit out for myself with out there being a tutorial

1996 galant s

I would love to see this swap. Ive actually been looking back into the 6g72TT swap for the past few days, funny this popped up, but seems like too much work. Plus I lack the experience, knowledge, and the money to pull it off. Would be great to be, or even see the 1st succesful attempt tho.

I believe I have seen discussion about this before in the 3G community. Ideally it should work, but none of them have done it yet due to firewall clearance. It's possible we have just enough room in the Galant to fit the larger heads, but nobody has had enough balls to try it yet.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Experienced TGC Member
    I looked into this myself for an engine swap, also the head swap route as well. The only problem with the head swap idea is the firing order may be the same, but when you flip those heads 180* the way the cams were designed for timing the opening/closing of the intake/exhaust it may not work at all, or cause serious other problems. You could potentially swap the cams around, but then again you are back to square one with the direction of engine rotation being differen between the 3KGT cams and the 6g72 heads in our cars.

It might work, but then again it could also be a very expensive lesson learned.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

If I luck up and hit lotto or win the mcdonalds monopoly game I'll give this a shot lol

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    Newbie in da building wats gud i have an 2001 8G & actually this swap has been done and i was planning on doing this swap look it up on youtube if u want proof

No doubt that it can be done, but its not worth the amount of money cuz that will be one big ass project and shit load of money.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
    no...........
    your being "that guy" lol

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rach3T8G View Post
    Newbie in da building wats gud i have an 2001 8G & actually this swap has been done and i was planning on doing this swap look it up on youtube if u want proof
    I don't see any?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast