The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car wont start, whinning noise

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Car wont start, whinning noise

ok so i drove ma car like half a mile to the gas station, went inside and when I tried start it up it started for a few seconds put it in reverse and she cut off.I tried starting it and it just makes this whinning noise, no clicks just whinning. I'm thinking its the starter but i'm not really sure. My timing belt is ok got that changed like at 120k and have 150k rite now. I neva changed the starter so its probably the original one, anyone had this happen
    we rip what we sow

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    whining noise is timing belt and bent valves

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Check your other belts to make sure that they arent to loose and are slipping and whinning, mine used to and it was real annoying, i just replaced them and the problem went away.
    Last edited by Galant Evolution; 10-16-2009 at 01:35 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr View Post
    whining noise is timing belt and bent valves
    how can it be the timing belt and bent valves if the car wont start and the belt is good? Its not whining while running, its whining while attempting to start.

If its not clicking and just whines it could be the starter is just shot. Try tapping on the starter a few times with a hammer and try starting it again. Did you physically remove the timing cover to make sure the belt was OK or are you just assuming its OK since it was replaced fairly recently?
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I would check the belt anyway. Did you replace any of the other belts? Cuz it is possible that if one of the belts have snapped, it might've taken the timing belt with it and that would be REAL bad.

Although, it sounds like the starter might be dead. Only thing is, why would it start and die once he puts it in reverse?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    I would check the belt anyway. Did you replace any of the other belts? Cuz it is possible that if one of the belts have snapped, it might've taken the timing belt with it and that would be REAL bad.

Although, it sounds like the starter might be dead. Only thing is, why would it start and die once he puts it in reverse?
    Maybe it died in reverse because of the RPMs dropping because it was under load. did it die in any other gear? or only reverse?

i was backing out and it just cut off...I friend of mine tried to move cam shaft to see if the motor was locked and it hadly moved. I dont know how easy its supposed to move Im gonna get the starter tested sat, hopefully its the starter
    we rip what we sow

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigc View Post
    i was backing out and it just cut off...I friend of mine tried to move cam shaft to see if the motor was locked and it hadly moved. I dont know how easy its supposed to move Im gonna get the starter tested sat, hopefully its the starter
    it aint supposed to move that easily, you shouldnt be able to move it without a wrench on the bolt and FYI you should never try to move it like that as you can cause it to skip a tooth or damage something. Always turn it the correct way by using a 1/2" drive extension and ratchet on the crank pulley. there is a little square cutout in the splash shield behind the passenger front wheel you pop that out and put the extension thru and into the crank pulley.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    im telling you its the timing belt. Been there done that!!!!!!!

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Experienced TGC Member
    When you are cranking the engine do you see any rotation on the crank pulley??

If you see rotation on the pulley then you have another issue such as timing belt may have jumped teeth and caused timing to be off, or damage to the valves/head. Check the compression on the cylinders, and also make sure you are getting spark to all cylinders.

If your crank pulley does not rotate when you are cranking the engine, then the starter is junk and not engaging the ring gear to crank the engine over...something which also makes a "whinnning" type noise.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

maxrezn
    I just got rid of the same exact problem yesterday. The accessory belt was loose and needed more tension. Took 5 minutes for my mechanic to fix.