The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Retrofitting headlights with Maxima Projectors (HIDS THE LEGALWAY)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 56
    Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    pretty sweet ! just i would never go with 30000k
    x's a million.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

isnt that color bulb more apt to get you pulled over than a HID kit? good write up though

Quote Originally Posted by Rayth View Post
    isnt that color bulb more apt to get you pulled over than a HID kit? good write up though
    Yes, but in NE and with shitty weather( you need the yellow light to see better thru fogs and snow). They don't seem to mind unless you rocking the ULTRA blue or red headlghts which I have seen some around town.. but other than that the cops here seems really cool with it..I see peeps driving with under glow here and cops didnt do anything so I was realy suprise at first.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    ^ive never heard of red...and wouldnt the light output of 30000k be significantly less then say 3000k,4500k, 5000k's ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnygezony View Post
    ^ive never heard of red...and wouldnt the light output of 30000k be significantly less then say 3000k,4500k, 5000k's ?
    It would be, but my 30000k(pink/violet) isn't that bad, had a lot of people say that my 30000k is pretty bright..It's just not as bright as my 5000k(pure white)

^yeah i guess its the color pink that is kinda eye piercing if you ask me. Hey man whatever keeps you safe. I know what crazy snow driving is like, after all i am surrounded by lakes.

I HAVE A QUESTION!

Is there any way possible to have the fog lights turn on with the parking lights. I have a 9Gts and the fog lights wont turn on unless the reg running lights are on.

I disabled my DRLs BTW

Nope but BryanJ was selling a kit to fix that.

TheGalant08
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    I agree. Good job!

but I would have bought the factory/OEM mitsubishi Projector headlamps.
    IMHO they look much much better.
    wanna tell me how i can get my hands on the oem projectors haha google han't been much helpppp... starting to consider doing the retro though looks like it would be fun and i likee the way the headlight looks to begin with. scared though lol.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    ebay

rocgalant
    Are aftermarket HIDs actually illegal? I spent a lot of time scouring the internet for legislation, dockets, articles, etc that confirm whether they are illegal. I found nothing. The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (FMVSS 108) and NHTSA do have information discussing the issue of HIDs and glare they create. But there is no ruling or law that explicitly bans their use. They just say that they are aware of the issue (which isn't even a major issue to them as far I can deduce) but more research needs to be conducted.

Does anyone have a clearly defined ruling about HIDs' legality?

rocgalant
    Quote Originally Posted by rocgalant View Post
    Are aftermarket HIDs actually illegal? I spent a lot of time scouring the internet for legislation, dockets, articles, etc that confirm whether they are illegal. I found nothing. The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 (FMVSS 108) and NHTSA do have information discussing the issue of HIDs and glare they create. But there is no ruling or law that explicitly bans their use. They just say that they are aware of the issue (which isn't even a major issue to them as far I can deduce) but more research needs to be conducted.

Does anyone have a clearly defined ruling about HIDs' legality?
    Well, this is embarassing. I literally spent hours online over the weekend looking up this information. As soon as I posted my question, I found my answer on a bimmer forum with language taken directly from FMVSS 108. Yes, apparently aftermarket HIDs are totally illegal in the States if the original car manufacturer did not specifically design the OEM headlamps for HID use. I don't care, I'm still getting HIDs within a couple weeks. I see enough glare, blue and purple lights on the roads around my way to feel confident that the cops don't really bother with it
    Last edited by rocgalant; 02-22-2010 at 09:46 AM

As long as you have projectors I see no issue at all in why it is illegal. If you do not have projectors (as some older acuras do not) then there needs to be regulations on headlight aim/illumination patterns for each US Mfr.

HID's (speaking anecdotally) provide SOOOOOOO much more light on the road and the peripheral and forward illumination make night driving as safe as it can be (compared to daytime) so I hope this law gets trumped sooner rather than later to help night time motorists avoid accidents with other cars and living/nonliving hazards.

EDIT: The older acuras have HID BTW like the RL
    Last edited by procksa49er; 02-22-2010 at 01:16 PM Reason: Added Info

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    I doubt that law will every be tossed out.....and yes older acuras/lexus have hid in Reflectors specifically designed for HID with special bulbs d_R series which have shields over them......if you really think about by putting hid in reflectors and adjust them down..your actually shortening the effective length output..

Quote Originally Posted by vietboy651 View Post
    Agree..but I just want to do something different and instead of the dual headlight look..plus my both led side markers looks nice with it...
    what were the LEDs you put in the side markers. i have been going nuts looking for them. i always get on track and than hit a wall haha. the bulb numbers and specs would be great... if you could even the exact page to order them from haha. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TheG3 View Post
    what were the LEDs you put in the side markers. i have been going nuts looking for them. i always get on track and than hit a wall haha. the bulb numbers and specs would be great... if you could even the exact page to order them from haha. thanks!
    I hate to break it to you but the guy hasn't signed on in over a year. I doubt you'd get an answer from him.

yeahhhh, i figured that. but might as well throw a post up anyways to see if anyone can answer haha.

Well done ! ur G has a special look

^lol

Looks real bad ass

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast