The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Help please guys...P0335,and P0340(crank and am sensor at same time)

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Help please guys...P0335,and P0340(crank and am sensor at same time)

I have a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant ES. It is turbo and no its not the turbo. I have been turbo for 3 years. Car hasent ran in three months after I put new head on it. Rod bearings,Headasket, and Piston Rings where also done and it ran like a top. The cars timing in on. It starts only when I manually hold relay (switch ) closed or in the on position for fuel pump to stay on. Once I do this car turns on. I was thinking of making a fuel pump switch on the dash somewhere. Now heres where its gets even trickier. When I pull codes for car with the Snap On Solous the only two codes that it shows were (P0335) Cam Angle Positioning Sensor Circuit Malfunction, (P0340) CrankSensor Circuit malfuntion. I was looking at wire diagrams and both sensors and controlled by MFI Relay. This brought to my mind maybe a bad ground. The other idea was having a bad Multiport Fuel Injection Relay. Its just odd to me they were good before, and now both are bad...no way. I am also thinking thats why my fuel pump does not prime when I put the key on assy. Getting it to start is not a problem but I think with those two codes coming up for two sensors its cutting car off and not giving it fuel. I am asking anyone please having this same problem or had this same problem for help. Thanks Alot Guys
    Girlfriend is preggo and car is not working and I dont have a beater.

Experienced TGC Member
    I am in a similar situation, though with a V6. I believe the same scan tool you are using was the one I used on mine, except I never got any codes (wtf lol). About a month ago I believed my ECU crapped out so I bought a new one, verified it was working condition and came out of a running 1999 model as well, but when I hooked it up the car still would not start.

At this point I am forced to go through the diag procedure in the factory service manual which is basically checking the circuits for the MFI system. All grounds are connected where they should be, battery is new and holding a strong 11-12v charge, fresh fuel, compression is good, entire distributor was replaced...and still no cure.

I have been going through everything possible on mine because it cranks over but will not start up. I have a working fuel pump relay, but unsure if the MFI relay has crapped out (which it may have). However on my year (1999) I am able to swap the A/T relay over with the MFI as they are identical, doing this still did not resolve my issue and the car still will not start. I am unsure whether or not they are the same for your model year, but you should be able to check simply by reading the numbers on both and they should match...if that is the case swap it with the MFI relay and see if that corrects the issue.

The only thing with what you describe that confuses me a bit is that you can manually turn the fuel pump relay on so it feeds fuel and the car will start. Have you tried replacing the fuel pump relay to see if it will start and continue to run without having to manually hold it "on?" The reason this confuses me is because if the MFI relay craps out it wont send a signal to the injectors to inject the fuel, and it is linked to the ignition components such as the cam/crank sensors I believe (would have to double check that in the FSM). So if you think about it, if the MFI relay is bad, manually turning the fuel pump relay "on" still shouldn't start the vehicle if that was the case...but the codes it has pulled makes this a little difficult withou actually checking the relays per the FSM.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

I guess you dont get power to the MPi relay. It get power from a fuse in the engine compartment fuse box. After the MPI relay, the power gets distributed to fuel pump and all the engine sensors. It might be the MPI relay itself. GL
    Last edited by mko; 10-21-2009 at 06:28 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

MPI Relay, and MIP whats this MKO

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spoolin8g View Post
    MPI Relay, and MIP whats this MKO
    MPI is multi-point injection, or MFI (multi-port fuel injection) which is essentially the same thing. MIP might be a "fat finger" issue for MKO...

J/k mko

www.blackheartmotors.net

sorry my mistake.

its the MPI/MFI relay. it supplies power to the ECU, fuel pump...sensors

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    I am in a similar situation, though with a V6. I believe the same scan tool you are using was the one I used on mine, except I never got any codes (wtf lol). About a month ago I believed my ECU crapped out so I bought a new one, verified it was working condition and came out of a running 1999 model as well, but when I hooked it up the car still would not start.

At this point I am forced to go through the diag procedure in the factory service manual which is basically checking the circuits for the MFI system. All grounds are connected where they should be, battery is new and holding a strong 11-12v charge, fresh fuel, compression is good, entire distributor was replaced...and still no cure.

I have been going through everything possible on mine because it cranks over but will not start up. I have a working fuel pump relay, but unsure if the MFI relay has crapped out (which it may have). However on my year (1999) I am able to swap the A/T relay over with the MFI as they are identical, doing this still did not resolve my issue and the car still will not start. I am unsure whether or not they are the same for your model year, but you should be able to check simply by reading the numbers on both and they should match...if that is the case swap it with the MFI relay and see if that corrects the issue.

The only thing with what you describe that confuses me a bit is that you can manually turn the fuel pump relay on so it feeds fuel and the car will start. Have you tried replacing the fuel pump relay to see if it will start and continue to run without having to manually hold it "on?" The reason this confuses me is because if the MFI relay craps out it wont send a signal to the injectors to inject the fuel, and it is linked to the ignition components such as the cam/crank sensors I believe (would have to double check that in the FSM). So if you think about it, if the MFI relay is bad, manually turning the fuel pump relay "on" still shouldn't start the vehicle if that was the case...but the codes it has pulled makes this a little difficult withou actually checking the relays per the FSM.
    You still havent fixed that. So you get fuel, and do you get spark?

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    sorry my mistake.

its the MPI/MFI relay. it supplies power to the ECU, fuel pump...sensors
    If the relay supplied power to the ECU, then would it cause a code to show up still, or is it possible the scan tool wouldn't be able to communicate with the ECU or pull any codes at all if it does communicate with the ECU?

If the ECU does not get the supplied power via the relay, then would it be cutting power from the engine circuits only, or is it reasonable to consider other circuits within the cabin (lights, blinkers and such), to also not work?

Some stuff I kind of know, but not 100% and I would rather be 100% or as close to that as possible, and also help clarify some things for other that may read this too...

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    You still havent fixed that. So you get fuel, and do you get spark?
    Dont ask man...been a long time dealing with it lol.

I haven't been able to get much time to work on it the past month, but slowly going through things more as I get the time now. Think my build thread has a lot more of the details as well, but yea I do still have spark, fuel, and good compression. Bought the new ECU and still no chnge so I have to check the wiring leading up to the MFI relay and stuff now it seems.
    Last edited by SPD_FRK; 10-21-2009 at 06:47 PM

www.blackheartmotors.net

For V6 the MPI relay supplies power to 77,87 and 89. If you want the diagram let me know.

And have to see how it goes for 4cyl

Build Thread

Ok, the MPI relay has two circuits. 1 for the fuel pump and second for the ECU and sensors. These two functions are done by two relays MPI1 and MPI2. MPI1 powers the ECU and sensors and MPI2 powers the fuel pump. MPI2 gets power from pin 20 for V6. They both located at the left side of center console.

As of 4 cyl, heres some diagram that is also applicable for V6

Build Thread

Experienced TGC Member
    Is that diagram for the 02-03 models? I am confused as it notes "Behind center of Dash" on the relay locations, whereas mine are all located within the fuse box panel under the hood on driver's side. Are there other relays to check besides those under the hood for the MFI system then???

www.blackheartmotors.net

The MFI Relay on my 02 galant is under the hood. Top left second down. Though i havent tested if this is it when I looked it up on shop key 5 by snap on it said it has both crank and cam sensor...and I would imagine with that it would cut the fuel off so you wouldnt be able to start and mess up the G.