The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ABS Delete ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 38 of 38
    Experienced TGC Member
    How do you guys not "feel in control" on the road driving with ABS, versus "feeling in control" without it??

Daily drving I never noticed any difference on my Grand Prix when I had ABS vs when I removed it. In the end I always regretted removing the ABS even, especially in the snow or heavy rain when the wheels would lock up entirely and you skid forever...atleast with ABS the pulsation of the hydraulic fluid eliminated a lot of the uncontrolled skids in these conditions...atleast for myself it did anyways.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    How do you guys not "feel in control" on the road driving with ABS, versus "feeling in control" without it??

Daily drving I never noticed any difference on my Grand Prix when I had ABS vs when I removed it. In the end I always regretted removing the ABS even, especially in the snow or heavy rain when the wheels would lock up entirely and you skid forever...atleast with ABS the pulsation of the hydraulic fluid eliminated a lot of the uncontrolled skids in these conditions...atleast for myself it did anyways.
    and more importantly, I like to be able to steer away from things when I'm braking. You can't do that if your brakes are locked.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    and more importantly, I like to be able to steer away from things when I'm braking. You can't do that if your brakes are locked.
    lol, unfortunately I had to learn that the hard way when I struck a white tail buck on gravel

www.blackheartmotors.net

Yeah, I'm talking about times when I lock up the wheels in my galant and pour smoke.

Or the traction control in the Corolla stoping me from spinning my tires out on a rainy day. (ABS unrelated)

72,500 miles as of 3/30/11

actually the ABS in my Bimmer has saved me couple time from crashing....in normal condition your even feel it exist....

blue8g
    i don't know i just like knowing that if i don't drive well enough i'll die.........forces me to pay more attention

I agree with blue8g, my traction control and abs have been out for so long, and I prefer it that way. With mine, it worked sometimes, not others, and would geek out at dumb times when I didn't need it. It was a hassle, and since it went out, I know that I'm in my own hands. I have to drive well or else. Besides, abs and traction control are the first features that allow people to not have to learn how to drive their own cars. It's most peoples own fault if they can't drive in icy/wet conditions and if you know what you are doing, you can correct yourself out of a skid a lot of the time.
    })({ Heather })({

- "If you never take risks, you'll have a wasted soul."

Since mine doesn't work anyway, maybe I should just take the pump out for the heck of it. If the op figured it out, shoot me a pm.
    })({ Heather })({

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flutterbyfilms View Post
    I agree with blue8g, my traction control and abs have been out for so long, and I prefer it that way. With mine, it worked sometimes, not others, and would geek out at dumb times when I didn't need it. It was a hassle, and since it went out, I know that I'm in my own hands. I have to drive well or else. Besides, abs and traction control are the first features that allow people to not have to learn how to drive their own cars. It's most peoples own fault if they can't drive in icy/wet conditions and if you know what you are doing, you can correct yourself out of a skid a lot of the time.
    The traction control stuff was introduced for the automatic transmissions in a number of other makes and models. The reason for this is simply because when you are driving a manual transmission when you are in slushy snow, ice, or mud like conditions it allows you more control over the wheel spin problems that came up with an automatic transmission. They aren't made for people to not learn how to drive, they are there for those who don't want to drive manual transmission, but want the benefits that they have.

ABS has actually shown a lot of people how to drive, and even improved their driving skills. Harley-Davidson has even started applying ABS as optional equipment on their motorcycles now even, two wheels or four wheels it still helps to reduce the braking distance of any vehicle, and helps to increases a driver's reaction time to stop simply due to the system.

Do you ever get those people who tailgate you running down the highway? Sure they could learn to drive better whether their vehicle has ABS or not, but the people who don't have ABS are those I DO NOT want behind me. They are more likely to lock up all 4 wheels and skid into the back of me even if they try and counter-steer the direction of the skid. The only way you can correct yourself in a skid without ABS is getting good withthe E-brake...why is that? FWD...hard to power out of uncontrolled skids with FWD vs a RWD vehicle...ever wonder why law enforcement cruisers are a majority of RWD and run very few FWD?

Moral of the story is unless you are an experienced driver that is driving road courses and what not, if your car has ABS use it...if not then you know what possibilities to consider happening when the situaton arises.

www.blackheartmotors.net

blue8g
    i haz mad skills wit da e-brake driftin

lol

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
    i haz mad skills wit da e-brake driftin

lol
    hahaha...last time I did that was on a gravel road back home in MN when I was in high school. Needless to say the vehicle coming around the corner was NOT what I wanted to see....

It was a Deputy LOL

www.blackheartmotors.net

blue8g
    hahaha i've done it twice in my life.............just to scare the junk outta the person in the car with me........i did and haven't had the urge to do it again haha (only in the snow for me)

Well to each there own I guess, I like mine in the winter and forget all about it in the summer, black ice is a big problem in iowa. I dont have tcs so I have no problems with that one.

I love doing that, but I don't much anymore for fear of being stupid and ruining all the pretty parts I've put on the car.

SPD_FRK I'm certain ABS is good for most, I'm just a pretentious bitch who likes to think she's smarter and a better driver than everyone else, even without my ABS, lol. None of my statements should be taken as having any knowledge or sense behind them, just the opinions of the smartest girl in the world, ;)
    })({ Heather })({

Flutter, can i send my GF to your house for a week, she needs a new outlook on this stuff..lol

Experienced TGC Member
    SPD_FRK I'm certain ABS is good for most, I'm just a pretentious bitch who likes to think she's smarter and a better driver than everyone else, even without my ABS, lol. None of my statements should be taken as having any knowledge or sense behind them, just the opinions of the smartest girl in the world, ;)
    I get you there...since moving to Colorado I am dealing with people who used to drive in all the other states...they dont have a clue about the rain or snow driving out here. Scared me to death a lot when I was riding even on a summer day.

The way I see it honestly, and Im sure others of you have to...those of us in the automotive communites like this are much more aware of driving conditons, or performance...the majority of us I am sure are MUCH better drivers than the other dummies on our roads

www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    I get you there...since moving to Colorado I am dealing with people who used to drive in all the other states...they dont have a clue about the rain or snow driving out here. Scared me to death a lot when I was riding even on a summer day.

The way I see it honestly, and Im sure others of you have to...those of us in the automotive communites like this are much more aware of driving conditons, or performance...the majority of us I am sure are MUCH better drivers than the other dummies on our roads
    I hear that. I was raised in Amarillo with everything from 110 summer heat, to 70mph winds and snow/ice storms....all on country dirt roads. I moved here to Austin, and I just laugh at the fools here who geek out and act like it's their first time behind the wheel when it barely drizzles...I hope all of those jackasses have ABS.
    })({ Heather })({

Please don't forget i drive mine only in Summer and Sunshine no rain.I don't Daily my Galant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12