The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tried to install coilovers, couldn't get stock strut assembly off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 56

Tried to install coilovers, couldn't get stock strut assembly off.

so on saturday, i tried to install my d2 coilovers and i had some problems getting the 24 mm bolts loose from the stock assembly. i used wd-40 and a breaker bar, but the best i could do is break the seal. the bolts are pretty rusty, and i just couldnt get em loose. any ideas on what i could do to get them loose and install my coilovers?

Mine were rusted as well. I called a friend over and had him use a 1/2" breaker bar on the bolt while I held the nut on the other side from spinning with a 24?mm wrench and that solved it.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

yeah i guess that will work, the hard part is breaking the seal i think. did you buy new bolts for the coilover instead of using the rusted ones?

har har har. i had a hard time too. you just need time and alot of friends. take turns prying at it.

yeah man! we were able to break the seal by each getting both our hands on the breaker bar and pulling at the same time, but then we gave up because it was getting late and we had made like no progress

if you have a friend with an impact gun, it helps with breaking the "seal". but ya, you will need two 24mm sockets. one on each side to keep the other side from spinning

ok cool, i am going to give this another whirl when i have some time on my hands.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    I used a 24mm socket on the nut side and an adjustable wrench on the other, and this worked fine. I wouldn't recommend it though as you might strip the bolt head. If you have two 24mm sockets available, that would be 10x better

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz View Post
    if you have a friend with an impact gun, it helps with breaking the "seal". but ya, you will need two 24mm sockets. one on each side to keep the other side from spinning
    Impact gun is my suggestion. Marc (Ivory8g) and myself did it that way when we installed my Ksports...we had the front done relatively quick even considering some adjustment issues we ran into at first.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

alright sweet, i am pumped to give this another try

Pics pics pics buddy. Good luck.

am i like the only man on this board that didn't need a butt buddy to loosen up some nuts?

1/2" drive, 18 inch breaker bar with a 4ft pipe slipped over the end.

or you can have it so that the breaker bar is angled, touching the ground and then lower the car slowly to use the weight of the car to loosen the bolt. you gotta do it slowly and make sure the socket doesn't slip off. maybe use a block of wood under the breaker bar so you don't have to lower the car so much.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I was wondering when someone would explain how a "lever" worked....lol cheater bars are the best

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post
    am i like the only man on this board that didn't need a butt buddy to loosen up some nuts?

or you can have it so that the breaker bar is angled, touching the ground and then lower the car slowly to use the weight of the car to loosen the bolt. you gotta do it slowly and make sure the socket doesn't slip off. maybe use a block of wood under the breaker bar so you don't have to lower the car so much.
    ^^^^
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6 View Post

Thats exactly how i did it.. not too hard.

Think my bar was 6 feet tho. lol

Breaker bar with something on the end to make it longer, if you can get a friend to hold it in place as you dont want to strip it. It protect the car wrap what you put over the bar in a regular cotton towel and duct tape. Worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    Impact gun is my suggestion. Marc (Ivory8g) and myself did it that way when we installed my Ksports...we had the front done relatively quick even considering some adjustment issues we ran into at first.
    I never use air tools to break. Might be a personal preference, but I only use them to take off and tighten never break.
    Last edited by 03-Galant-ES; 10-28-2009 at 12:29 AM

I used a impact wrench, hand tools are for pussies.

1000lb/ft of torque > you

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    I used a impact wrench, hand tools are for pussies.

1000lb/ft of torque > you
    improper units are for pussies.

lb-ft**

haha I kid, I kid. but really its pounds x feet

You are gonna think I am crazy but I used a breaker bar and a bottle jack. It was easy, effortless, and I had no problem.

Experienced TGC Member
    Removing those two front struts is no joke at all. Especially when your car has high mileage and sees salted roads in the winter. Those 24mm bolts are torqued to about 240lbs/ft of pressure from the factory. When I installed my coilovers my car had about 150k. At the time, I was weight training about 2-3 days a week, and I was bench pressing 385lbs. I weigh 240lbs, and I STILL COULDNT get the damn bolts off. My younger brother is 6'3 320lbs. And HE STILL COULDNT get them off. I called my friend and had him bring his electric impact gun. We got the driver side strut off, and the first bolt on the passenger side. When we went to get the second bolt off, the impact gun started shooting blue sparks and then shit the bed. lol. That job was no joke.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast