The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 40 mph 1500 rpm shaking tranny?

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

40 mph 1500 rpm shaking tranny?

Hi all,

I've an 01 Galant and I'm trying to find out what's wrong with it. I hope you guys can give me some advice.

When I accelerate slowly around 40mph at 1500rpm the car starts to shake and then it goes it's back to normal.

It's like the car having a hard time to shift up to the next gear.

If I accelerate fast like going up to the highway it doesn't happen.

I'm not a mechanic but I read somewhere that around 40mph when the O/D kicks in?

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Laz

that can be all kinds of things, a mount,tranny issue,(i really think no1 has answered because a. not enough info,b. have u tried the search mode 4 ur specfic problem?

I would bet its is either the mounts or some kind of engine hesitation, when was the last time you replaced your plugs and wires, and when did you last change your fuel filter? If it was me I would start there. look for the cheap fix first so when it turns out to be the expensive thing you have all new "cheap" stuff

edit: also check your tranny fluid, with the engine idling at operating temp, put your foot on the brake and move the shifter through every gear a few times, put it in park and with the engine running check the trans fluid.
    Last edited by RedLine DOHC; 10-27-2009 at 02:04 AM

Also a little history would be nice. How are you on the tranny when you drive? Do you shift it manually, neutral drops, etc. How many miles are on the tranny and what maintenance, if any have you done. Have you done anything or had anything done to the car recently or did this just start?

I've got a 2000 v6 with 133,000 on the original tranny with no issues and mitsubishi fluid. Mitsubishi Fluid verrrrrrrrrry important, grasshopper.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

WOW,

I've tried several forums before and this is the first time anybody tried to help.

I really appriciate it.

I've just purchased this car so I don't know the history of it.

It has 144K. I think there was some work done on the engine because it looks too clean on the top. I wouldn't be suprised if this car has a new or rebuilt transmission. Is there a way I can tell?

I have so far changed one of the battery wire and changed the PCV valve and that took care of the idle problem.

I was playing with the car yesterday. I put in @ gear. pushed the gas pedal and hold it steady. It accelerated normal. 10, 15,20,30 mph and then when it
    got close to 40mph I felt it will start to shake again so I released the gas pedal for a moment and then pushed it again. It has changed the gear nice and easy.

If I push the pedal hard and accelerate so the rpm never drops below 1500 it's good.

I'll definately try the cheap fixes.

The car runs about 2300 rpm at 60 mph and 2500 rpm at 70 mph.

I feel a little vibration here and there but it has bad tires and the aligment is no good. I'll get new tires and then we can go from there.

Water tempreture is not even at the half.
    Last edited by laszlopmagyar; 10-27-2009 at 08:20 AM

Udv pajtas :)

When I first got my galant I noticed I couldn't shift into drive from reverse quickly without killing the engine... wasn't trying to show off or anything.

Pulled out of a driveway to turn around off a 4-lane road, kicked to drive quickly, gave it gas and found myself rolling with the car off. - WIN.

72,500 miles as of 3/30/11

Just re-read the thread... could it be your front rotors? does it shake more or less when you push the brakes?

oh shit man, my front rotors were warped when i first bought my 8G. It started shaking too!

72,500 miles as of 3/30/11

it tottaly sounds like you hit the RPM cut off, does it do it when you drive the car?
    Your signature is against the rules too - Prophet

sorry about my last post, i just read your post, your problem is in the trans, 2nd gear to be exact, check your fluid to see if it's full,and the condition of it. go get you bottle of sea foam trans clean, dump it in, drive it normal until the car gets hot, do your drain and fill, run it for a day or 2 then if can afford it drain and fill again, i had the same issue in my 04 i checked the fluid and it stunk to all hell did what i just mentioned to you, now she shifts so clean, and did urethane mounts and it shifts even stronger. good luck.
    Your signature is against the rules too - Prophet

good idea

The transmission fluid kind of light brown, doesn't smell and looks clear.

I'll try the seafoam and refill it it won't hurt.

I was checking the car tonight and I think I have found that the passanger side motor mount is damaged.

Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by laszlopmagyar View Post
    The transmission fluid kind of light brown, doesn't smell and looks clear.

I'll try the seafoam and refill it it won't hurt.

I was checking the car tonight and I think I have found that the passanger side motor mount is damaged.

Thanks for the tip.
    So were you able to resolve the issue?

I've noticed I've got a very similar issue with my 00 Galant. Sometimes when I'm accelerating around the 40 mile an hour range - the car will begin to shake until I let off of the gas. Usually once I re-engage the gas it's ok. But, I'm noticing this little trend is becoming more frequent and I figure it's time to do a little research on the problem.

Actually I just noticed that when the shaking begins is at the 1500rpm mark as well. If I'm accelerating quickly then i have no issues.

Just curious as to what, if any, your resolution was.

hhp8008
    Sounds like a motor mount issue. Plenty of people have this especially those with V6's. Chances are with 130k plus miles, all motor mounts & torque trans mount connected to motor should be inspected and then replaced if damaged. I read on here, that in most cases that simply doing that solved or reduced the vibration problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55 View Post
    I've got a 2000 v6 with 133,000 on the original tranny with no issues and mitsubishi fluid. Mitsubishi Fluid verrrrrrrrrry important, grasshopper.
    Just hit 178,000 on all original parts. Oh yeh.

Quote Originally Posted by hhp8008 View Post
    Sounds like a motor mount issue. Plenty of people have this especially those with V6's. Chances are with 130k plus miles, all motor mounts & torque trans mount connected to motor should be inspected and then replaced if damaged. I read on here, that in most cases that simply doing that solved or reduced the vibration problem.
    Very true. I watch my glove box door jiggle a lot and when i use my gps on the windshield it won't stay still at idle in drive. I believe it's the motor mounts.

2500rpm at 70mph? Mine is just barely over 3000rpm.
    Last edited by RayDub; 12-17-2009 at 12:33 AM

If it ain't broke, i'm still fixin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by RayDub View Post
    Very true. I watch my glove box door jiggle a lot and when i use my gps on the windshield it won't stay still at idle in drive. I believe it's the motor mounts.

2500rpm at 70mph? Mine is just barely over 3000rpm.
    My motor mounts are shot too, so I sit in neutral at red lights lol. Mine is around 2800 at 70 2500 at 60 thats on the 4cyl

Quote Originally Posted by 03-Galant-ES View Post
    My motor mounts are shot too, so I sit in neutral at red lights lol. Mine is around 2800 at 70 2500 at 60 thats on the 4cyl
    Yeah, I started the whole neutral trend too.

Off this topic, but is my 3000 - 3100rpm at 70mph normal?

If it ain't broke, i'm still fixin' it.

mine is around 3k at 70 mph