The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Taking off the center vents?

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    LantBoy99

Taking off the center vents?

hey guys I was wonderin how to take out the center vents where the caution light switch is? I dont wanna brake nothin so ill just wait for some1 to reply, then do it. let me know ASAP. thanks a lot!

They just pull straight out, Dru. Wrap a screwdriver in a rag so you don't scratch the dash. Once you have the vent out, disconnect the flasher switch and voila!

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but much more easier said than done... I just got done painting all vents and the sides were no big deal, but the center one was a real pain in the ass. There is actually 4 clips or whatever you want to call them that snap in when you install it. To take the vent out you have to stick a very slim flathead in and work behind each clip to push it down so it clears the top of the dash. You have to do this on each one. If you have only one or two pushed down its very hard to get out, but can be done. It is very tight in the dash so be careful and take your time. I suppose if you really wanted to muscle it out you could, but risk breaking something.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

You're right Sin, I forgot about the clips on the center vent. But I still only had to pop each one up with the screwdriver. Maybe I was lucky but my retainer clips weren't as tight as yours sound like they were.

Chip
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

davebernard
    Can the flasher swith be removed? or do you just tape it before you paint it?

I tried to take mine out, without success. It looked like it should, but I couldn't get it out. so I just taped mine off and left it gray, painted the rest of the vents black. It'll look good with whatever color you paint the vents and leave the button stock color.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

Shylynn

how to remove trim peices...

i post a tutorial on how to remove trim peices check out the FAQ forum as far as the center vent goes get a screw drive rap in a rag and start to gently pry teh vent out, once you have it loose just pull everything out vents and all. its easier that way and goes back in easier also, as far as the flasher switch goes, it does come off but there are 2 lil springs behind it <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>DO NOT LOSE THESE!!!</span></span> or ur flasher will not work, always mask off any areas that u dont want to get paint on or on any connectors

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Fishboy55)</div><div class='quotemain'>They just pull straight out, Dru. Wrap a screwdriver in a rag so you don't scratch the dash. Once you have the vent out, disconnect the flasher switch and voila!

Chip</div>
    yea thatz a good idea, wrap it or put a credit card under it before ya slip the screw drive in. That can prevent the screw drive to cut the vinyl trims. They are really easy to cut open somewhat.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitsugalant2k
    Founder of:
    The Galant Center NJ Chapter http://www.tgcnj.com
    SpeedImpact.com
    http://www.speedimpact.com

Member of:
    Facin' Reality Auto Club (NJ Chapter)