The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What's a good oil?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 34 of 34
    penzoil 5w30 all the way, i put it in golden, take it out a little darker at 2500 miles. not to mention, the stuff is thick and probably the best oil to use as it leaves no build up on the cams or anything. i change my filter everytime too. that probably helps. on the flip side, i have never even heard of amsoil.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

I only run either Amsoil 5w-30, German Castrol 0w-30, or Shell RotellaT 5w-40. Mobil one and royal purple are garbage from my experience.

Redline and Motul oils are also pretty good just harder to find...

I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 full synthetic motor oil. Been using this with Bosch premium oil filters since I first got my whip 3 years ago. My whip performs great with this combination Lets jus say that those speed channel commercials are true (At least for me)

Success is achieved through dedication and personal sacrifice. Eye for an Eye_Tooth for Tooth_Blood for Blood.

1999 North Star White V6 8G
    2003 Yamaha R6
    2008 Lancer Evolution X

The Original FACTION from the BGR Days
    First Founder of TGC Florida 2002-2005

amsoil is GREAT stuff, I used to run mobile 1 10w-30 in my galant changed it every 8k (highway miles) and my engine after 200k was in really good condition. I also will not use any filter but a wix filter. Now im going to run amsoil with a wix after i break her in on some good old fashion'd Auto Zone 10w-40 hehehe

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

I also use Castrol Syntec. I havent had any issues and I can usually find it on for a pretty good price or combined with a filter.

2004 Mitsubishi Galant GTS

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Since I posted about this topic...my opinion of Mobil 1 has changed a bit. Been doing some researching and honestly..I am sold on Penzoil Platinum. Its cheaper and its synthetic..even though a Group 3 oil, its pretty damn good. I have been using it for the past 3 oil changes on my 7g which is turbo'ed and I have noticed a difference.

With Mobil 1 which I have been using ever since I turbo'ed the 7g ( about 5 years ) every oil change the oil has always been somewhat dark brown. I switched the Penzoil Platinum 3 oil changes ago and the 1st oil change it was black, 2nd..was dark cardboard brown..and the last one previously was light brown. Changed the oil same intervals and everything. The detergents seem to work alot better than the Mobil 1 oil. Not to mention my motor runs ALOT quieter ...like a brand spanking new motor. Penzoil Platinum has alot of great and postive reviews especially from some reputable sites like Bobistheoilguy.com and is recommended by some reviews as being a better oil than Mobil 1.

Amsoil though is the way to go..if you are intending to use it for some spirited driving. Its the oil I am going to run in my GVR4 from now on and eventually the new built motor for the 7g in the near future.

As for a oil filter...I will ONLY use OEM Mitsubishi or Purolator PureONE oil filters. The best filtration oil filters you can get in the market...and its fact. Don't use FRAM filters, they are the worse.
    Last edited by 4-G-rim; 09-01-2010 at 11:27 AM

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! Corey2kG's Avatar
    Royal Purple is great but little pricy.

http://www.royalpurple.com/

FreakyDeaky

Quote Originally Posted by sponcar View Post
    Always remember "do you, not them" cuz thats what make you different than others :)
    2kG 6g72/74 5 speed

id say Amsoil ftw

8th and 9th gen galants

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    As for a oil filter...I will ONLY use OEM Mitsubishi or Purolator PureONE oil filters.
    This. This is just as important as the oil you use. So many people buy good oil, but crappy filters.

Green rep for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Corey2kG View Post
    Royal Purple is great but little pricy.
    Completely overrated for your normal everyday driven vehicle. It is great for track days. Fill the oil pan with RP for the day and then drain it at night. The reason I say that is because of it's weak additives. Fresh from the bottle, its a good oil. But within a few hundred miles the additive package is gone.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    Since I posted about this topic...my opinion of Mobil 1 has changed a bit. Been doing some researching and honestly..I am sold on Penzoil Platinum. Its cheaper and its synthetic..even though a Group 3 oil, its pretty damn good. I have been using it for the past 3 oil changes on my 7g which is turbo'ed and I have noticed a difference.

With Mobil 1 which I have been using ever since I turbo'ed the 7g ( about 5 years ) every oil change the oil has always been somewhat dark brown. I switched the Penzoil Platinum 3 oil changes ago and the 1st oil change it was black, 2nd..was dark cardboard brown..and the last one previously was light brown. Changed the oil same intervals and everything. The detergents seem to work alot better than the Mobil 1 oil. Not to mention my motor runs ALOT quieter ...like a brand spanking new motor. Penzoil Platinum has alot of great and postive reviews especially from some reputable sites like Bobistheoilguy.com and is recommended by some reviews as being a better oil than Mobil 1.

Amsoil though is the way to go..if you are intending to use it for some spirited driving. Its the oil I am going to run in my GVR4 from now on and eventually the new built motor for the 7g in the near future.

As for a oil filter...I will ONLY use OEM Mitsubishi or Purolator PureONE oil filters. The best filtration oil filters you can get in the market...and its fact. Don't use FRAM filters, they are the worse.
    I have used nothing but synthetic penzoil. Oil goes in nice and thick, the color is about clear. It comes out golden and still looking good. If I ever take my valve cover off I could show everyone the results of using it all the time. My valves and internals look super clean. I'll post a pic in this thread if I ever got around to it.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

new guy here.

i've been using mobil-1 since i bought my galant (july)
    but reading all the posts & doing research ..i'm gonna make the switch to amsoil
    its hard to find that oil in orlando, fl.
    also has anyone used a k&n oil filter in there galant?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Moosey...you can find Amsoil in alot of places in Orlando. Just find a place with the Amsoil logo or do a local authorized distributor search. I know Murrays Speed and Custom carries Amsoil, I have bought amsoil there.

Never used a K&N oil filter..but heard they are good filters but a bit pricey. Its just as good to use either a OEM Mitsu or Puralator Gold oil filters and not as pricey and does just as good in filtration.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Experienced TGC Member 99galantES's Avatar
    I always use reg penzoil oil but I'm thinking about switching to penzoil platinum synthetic oil. Do you guys recommend going synthetic or staying with reg oil?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12