The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Parts needed to 35r turbo 6g72 motor?

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

Parts needed to 35r turbo 6g72 motor?

Hey guys, I have seen some videos of 8g v6 galants with a 35r on them and the cars look pretty nasty. I just wanted to know what kind of parts I would have to buy for the engine to handle that kind of boost? My engine is bone stock right now minus a short ram intake.

well man welcome to tgc and mayb you should read some literature about turbos
    get some knowledge, do a lil research and then u'll understand what you need
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

u need about $6000

wardak33
    -bigger injectors
    -different ecu
    -get motor built to handle boost
    -probably a new tranny to handle boost
    -the turbo itself
    -intercooler with piping
    -oil cooler lines for the turbo
    -custom exhaust manifolds to fit the turbo
    -ecu tuning
    -someone who knows what he's actually doing
    -a huge loan from the bank

Experienced TGC Member
    The 3.0L (6g72) will require a set of forged pistons, and depending on boost levels, a set of forged rods. The rods and pistons alone will easily run you into the $2K range alone. If you plan to push above 10psi at any point you will need to upgrade the ignition system to an MSD setup because the stock coil is not powerful enough and your spark will be "blown out" from the high boost pressure (usually happens around 12-14psi). The ignition upgrade will set you back about another $400 for everything needed.

The fuel system will also need a full "replacement" with larger injectors, as well as a Walbro fuel pump. In order to keep the fuel pressure "stable" and high enough you will need a AFPR (Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator) such as an Aeromotive or other brand. Depending on the injectors you select this part of the build can range from $600+

You also need to fabricate (as currently nobody offers them that I am aware of) the turbo manifolds, and understand how to design them according to fitment and turbo used. The factory exhaust will need to be redone also to prevent "choking" of the turbo's exhaust outlet, 3" is good but some have found 2.5" is sufficient as well. This stuff is expensive if you cannot fab yourself, and good. Expect to pay close to $1000+ for this to be done at a shop.

The automatic transmission is debateable for some people, but most have made the "best" choice and swapped to the manual transmission setup as it is proven reliability. The 5spd swap will run about $1000 give or take a couple hundred depending on the transmission price.

Intercooler setup will set you back another $500 easy depending on the intercooler you purchase and if you can make a universal piping kit work for your application.

Turbo...well thats up to you but I would suggest looking into the Borg Warner line up...but still expect to pay $800+ for a good turbo for this platform.

At this point you are sitting at $4500+ for this build, not including the head gaskets, bearings, head, rod, and main studs, and a numer of other misc items. There are other optons to go for that will be less costly such as the 6g74 (3.5L), or 6g75 (3.8L) Engine swaps...with the 5spd swap added into one of those two engine swaps you are looking at roughly $3k (depending on how good the engine is you bought).

If you have any other questions ask, also I suggest you take the time and read some of the links in my signature as they will help you as well.
    Last edited by SPD_FRK; 02-05-2010 at 08:42 PM

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You might need to replace the muffler bearings.
    7g for life!

thanks for the help guys, it might be awhile before i am posting pics of the finished job though

Anyone know where to get a set of forged pistons for the 6g72 other than ripp's site? It seems thats the only set of wiseco pistons I am able to order for the 72 build. I was checking into CP pistons but that looks like a custom order as well.

Anyone else have any extra info for the 6g72 platform as far as pistons?

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

Experienced TGC Member
    RPW sells some pistons, though price after shipping to the US will be about the same as ordering from CP or Ross.

3sx has some pistons that "may" work so you could contact them. Last I saw on using the 3sx pistons for the 3K GT platform was not a proper fit. Honestly I would contact 3sx and ask them at least to see...only difference is our 72 is SOHC and theirs is DOHC for the turbo stuff. With that said, compare the pricing also, 3sx sells their pistons for about $695+shipping.

I know you can special order through CP or Ross per your specs and pricing was roughly $800...but you know fitment is dead on and you can specify your own compression ratio higher than the "off the shelf" 8.5:1 pistons.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net