The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: immobilizer??

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8
    TGC Regular

immobilizer??

a friend got a used 2001 i4 recently and it only came with 1 key so she got it copied with a key w/o a chip. now when she tries to start the car the green alarm light blinks and the engine won't start. cranks but no spark. is that the immobilizer? is she screwed? the only option would be to tow it to the dealer?
    Your signature is too long.

that's the immobilizer....did she loss the original key?
    From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

TGC Regular
    used original key. car still starts... strange. i thought immobilizer would disable the car and the dealer would have to reset it...

the dealer doesn't have to reset it. you just stick in a working key and the car is good as new.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by hsinya View Post
    a friend got a used 2001 i4 recently and it only came with 1 key so she got it copied with a key w/o a chip. now when she tries to start the car the green alarm light blinks and the engine won't start. cranks but no spark. is that the immobilizer? is she screwed? the only option would be to tow it to the dealer?
    hmm, all the places i deal with make sure to test that the key works/program the chip.

Quote Originally Posted by DFX View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hsinya View Post
    hmm, all the places i deal with make sure to test that the key works/program the chip.
    2 things.

first of all, if you buy a key that doesn't have a chip, there's no chip to test.

secondly, if there is no chip, the car won't start because the car is looking for the chip. all you can do is lock and unlock the doors, trunk and glove box.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

right, but what im saying is, when she got the key made, did they make sure to test it and see that it actually worked or just assumed that it would work?

TGC Regular
    she went to some cheap ass place in los angeles, not a dealer. shady people i guess, just wanted to make a quick buck.

here's the thing though, she used the spare key to drive the car to my place, which she left overnight. when i tried to start the car again to move it, immobilized... would it be because the original is in close proximity? the original and the copy are distinctly different so she couldn't have gotten them mixed up either...

kind of strange because i heard on other cars the immobilizer would disable and lock out the ignition completely, but the original key still works after the fact.