The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: P170 Fuel trim malfunction

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 87

P170 Fuel trim malfunction

I'm about ready to give up,looked and replaced just about everything pertaining to it. I'm bout to say f$#$ and just stop throwing money in it. Its got 197,000 miles on my 4g64 Mitsubishi Galant ES. Dont get me wrong I love it but,its costing me to much money,that I don't have. Running rich still and can't figure out why. No leaks,etc. I was thinking could the timing affect this matter to throw this code! I did everything I could and put parts on swapping like a fool and even asked mechanics and no luck!

What did u change so far?
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Just about everything i could think of.
    Last edited by CIBAL; 11-15-2009 at 03:48 PM

Ecu,after market header,iac,pcv valve,air filter, oxegen sensor new exhaust,magnaflow,optima battery,alternator,coolant sensor timing belt,balance,belt,radiator,hoses,thermostat,i know some dont pertain to this code,but still replaced,mass air flow sensor,oil switch,ignition switch,distributor,ngk v power plugs ,wires,thats bout it.

Running rich means you have an air leak post MAS. It could be BISS screw, TB shaft seals, TB gasket, EGR gasket, or the valve itself or any vacuum leak in the vacuum lines.

Is your cat converter still there? Hows the rear o2 sensor?

Build Thread

yes it still there and havent change the rear o2 sensor,i thought that just told the computer the cat is working to specs. i replaced vaccum lines and checked egr valve tb,etc. over trillion times.

the screw Biss is so far down in there and its shreded as far as adjusting the idle just plastic cant turn it ,or anything.

i just replaced the IAC AND checked all the TB gaskets and made sure they are tight
    cleaned egr its working fine and the vaccum line is great all new vaccum lines fuel pump and strainer has never been changed kinda stubles when accelerator is pushed pass 50mph and then you let off anything after 45 to 50 and up drives smooth. idle is at almost a 1000 or half no a/c belt took it off. i think air compressor kept locking up on me. I really do everything myself dont have money for shop still waiting to put water pump on and new struts and springs,dont know have have books and tools too. thanks for the help so far any more ideas.

the biss isnt supposed to be all the way down and still have 1000rpms at idle. this could mean your intake manifold is breathing from somewhere else. try adjusting the SAS to spec and then adjust the biss. also, i know for sure that the pvc valves are shit, so see if it seals when blowing from where the hose is attached. if it doesnt then id suggest getting an 1g eclipse one and modify it to work.

Build Thread

pcv valve works fine,the biss screw is no longer able to be ajusted and i dont know what the SAS.

its on the back side of tb

(1) Sufficiently slacken the accelerator cable.

(2) Loosen the lock nut on the fixed SAS.

(3) Sufficiently loosen the fixed SAS by turning it counterclockwise to fully close the throttle valve.

(4) Tighten the fixed SAS slowly to find a point at which it contacts the throttle lever (where the throttle valve starts opening). From that point, tighten the fixed SAS further 1 l/4 turns.

(5) Holding the fixed SAS to prevent it from turning, tighten the lock nut securely.

(6) Adjust the accelerator cable tension.

(7) Adjust the basic idle speed.

(8) Adjust the idle position switch and throttle position sensor (TPS).

Build Thread

isthat on a 1998 galant 4g64 es,iVE NEVER SEEN the SAS and i looked that engine over many times man. WHAT DOES SAS stand for?

im still lost man!

SAS - Speed Adjustment Screw

All Mitsu TBs have it. It on the back side of the TB close to the firewall. Look where the throttle cable pulls on the butterfly wheel of the TB. So that butterfly wheels, when goes in closed position, is stopped by the SAS screw.

I cant find a picture, but if I do Ill post it

Build Thread

i checked everything looks good. still same code! i give up man!

do u clear the code after you change things

Build Thread

this is gunna kill me if its just the uncleared code...lol

yes i cleared it with my scanner several times after ive replaced stuff.

Anyone else has any ideas. I need all the advice and help I can get.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast