The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Which should go first?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Which should go first?

please advise me on what should go first for my next upgrade. install prothane complete kit or change shock absorbers to kyb agx? current suspension H&R springs, strutbar and rolling on 17s. thanks!

the prothane complete kit is easily THE best mod for the 7g suspension. Hands down.

Some may disagree with me.. .but i'd do it first. Honestly, its a hell of a mod. And installing it is easy, BUT labor intensive.
    Install the Prothane, then do struts.

Side note, the Prothane kit comes with new upper strut mount bushings. So you'll just leave those aside and install them along with yoru new struts when you get to buying them.

Prothane first man. Don't forget to get an alignment immediately after the install.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Thanks John for answering my query. I really love this site i get answers really fast.=) i just have one concern on installing prothane. do we really need to regrease them yearly? i'm a bit confused on peanos thread about prothane that some regrease while others don't because as you have said labor is intensive.

Also, which online shop has the cheapest price now? Thanks

TGC Regular
    I agree The prothane bushings are the best!!!! You don't have to grease them yearly. once they are in they are in. Make sure that when you do them PUT A TON OF GREASE on. Dont be shy!!! I am serious you want a lot and then some will squeeze out and you can reuse it. If you don't put enough on there then they will squeak... I have done mine and it was the best mod that I have done to my car. Like DOHC said the labor is intense. Make sure you have at least 1 if not 2 of your buddy's to help you. Also make sure you get the prothane kit not the Energy bushings...

Also...you are asking whats first. At this point, if you are taking apart the suspension in oder to put in the bushings...have it all done. If you are not changin the springs, still swap the shocks at the same time you are doing the bushings. If you are not doing the work yourself it will save you money....if you are doing it yourself then it should save some time

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Thanks for the advice! i have limited budget as of now=) i guess i'll upgrade the bushings first. do you know where i can get the cheapest for the set online? thanks a lot!

Do a search on eBay for a 95-99 Eclipse bushing set and you'll find some deals. If you can though save up and buy better struts than the KYB's or wait and find a deal on some gently used high quality stuff. AGX struts aren't bad but Koni struts are substantially better. If you haven't checked out Far North Racing's suspension section yet do so. One driver does use AGX struts (they're cheap) but the preference is definitely Koni for a "budget" shock.

Edit: Here is a direct link to the suspension setup section if his book: http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets5.html
    Last edited by eclipsh; 12-10-2009 at 10:51 AM
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin