The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 94 s converted to gs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 47

94 s converted to gs

Most of you know me on the other forums as 97dsmturbogalant, but thought id'e change it since the 97 is long gone. I own a 1994 galant s. Iv'e done allot to this car so far but the work is not done yet. Current mods include, Evo 8 wing, 14b turbo, Converted the car to power everything, 3" turbo back exaust with a rossi metal spun cat, Glow intrument cluster guages, Dual illuminite mids all around, ect. I could go on about the mods and parts but wanted to get on with the dohc swap. I stripped a 1994 galant gs from the j/y for $80. Got everything from the rear disks, Rear sway bar, The WHOLE harness from the car, The head with the intake manofold, sensors, relays, etc., Fog lights, intrument cluster, and so on. Planning on swapping in the head in a couple of weeks and the harnesses. Still have to get a head gasket, Timing belt, And misc. odds and ends. Allready swapped in the rear disks and rear sway bar. Planning on only running about 300 hp out of this setup. Turbo hasnt been plummed to the intake yet but do have all the parts to finish it, car just has 250,000 on it and It tappes at the top end allready and want to do a hone job and stick the new forged pistons in that have been collecting dust for the last year. Pic's will come once I get them uploaded to Photobucket. Maybe by that time the car will be painted flat black (for now).

Ok, so here's the pic's of the gs dohc swap parts.

Combustion chambers look exceptionally good.

Only one of the combustion chambers look like it was burning a bit of oil. Getting block from same car tomarrow and doing a hone job and installing the new pistons I've had for months.

Found out the valve cover has a hairline crack in it at the front, sucks.

Under dash harness and engine management harness.

Cant figure out what this is, it says trw on it and looks like it,s been installed on the harness.

Another view.

Under dash harness 2. You can see the trw box that has been installed in the circled part and the trw box. Anybody know what that might be????

Crank sensor.

The old 97's head up for sale. Only 80,000 on it.

Pic's of the installed gs items comming tomarro when it stops snowing. I still need to get the block tomarro and getting the trans also from the gs, my trans syncro's are bad in 1st and 2nd and its not shifting as good as it used to. Still need to get the gs head gasket and timing belt for the swap. The gs in the Jy still has a timing belt and it looks to be good, but im going to get a new one just in case. I thought I heard something about a greddy kevlar lined timing belt??? Do they offer them for the gs motors or is the 4g63t belt the same?? I hope everything comverts without any problems, I dont have any galant members out here close except boostzealot and scsi and they've dissapeared off the face of the earth and dont know much about the 4g64's. wish me luck.

1994 Galant S. 90 Percent GS.

Ok, so I took some pic's of the installed gs items and some mods that Ive done to the car.

Sohc head gasket (bottom) compared to the gs one (top).

Alarm I got from the j/y yet to install, waiting for the 2 remotes that I ordered to get here.

The real under dash harness I found in the trunk of my car, the other one I took pic's of is the front harness for the fogs.

As she sits now.

GS fogs installed but not wired yet.

You like my exaust pipe??? LOL, the burnt tip muffler fell off and ...well, I'm cheap so I got a 3" pipe from autozone and welded it on. Exaust allready has a magnaflow 3" res on it so it's got a mean, deep growl to it now, but not annoying and high pitched like most the ricers out there.

The gs rear disks installed. You can see where my suspension was sagging and rubbing the tire and cutting it to shreds. Had to grind the plates that the bumper bolts to down to get it to stop.

Just got done replacing the rockers and lifters to the ones out of my 97's 80,000 mile head.

Yes, the wastegate is wired open. Had to stop the turbo forom spooling out of control untill I get the piping and fmic installed.

GS rear sway bar installed.

Side view of the 3" pipe.

took a honda accord shift boot and modifyed it to fit the es auto shifter cover.

Used locktite superglue to fasten the boot to the cover. Ya I know, wierd way to get it to stay on but the locktite shit is strong as hell. Used it on my guage cluster 2 years ago and its still holding strong.

cut and shortened shifter and welded in a bolt for the shift knob.

Got a new cue ball and drilled a nd tapped it for the welded bolt on the shifter. Looks good huh? Feels great and the throw was reduced by maybe 10-15 percent. Going to cut and shorten a generick ebay short throw shifter to the same domensions after I get the trans changed to the gs one.

Fog switch installed. Remeber, that this car didnt come with power anything, Is all changed over to power everything even without the gs harnesses installed. Wasnt to hard , just had to change the harness under the dash to a 94-95 es one and the harness to the tails and the regulators and such. Took a day in total to get it changed over. Neighbors thought I was tweakin' for sure!! LMFAO.

My dual illuminite 6's. Everybody loves the glow of these speakers at night.

My 2 audiobahn subs (got the box with subs for 30 dollars) and 800 w volfenhagen amp is bolted under the rear deck. More to come as I get started on the GS engine swap. Got to go get the gs block and trans tomarrow. Will post pic's of the block when i get the chance. Might be looking for a good gs block if I cant hone out the surface rust on the cylender walls.

Pretty impressive, Iam kinda surprised to see ya back in a 7g but I guess you couldn't stay away for long :)

Um couple questions for ya...

Why didn't you just make your short shifter shorter?
    what benefit would modding an ebay short shifter be over your custom setup now?

What will you be using for engine management? safc/maft/evoecu/eclipse/ecu ?

What type of pistons/rods are those?

Honestly I think those wire harness are over kill, but at the price you mentioned sounds like a steal.... Looks like your off to a great start though good luck and hope to see more updates soon...
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

The harness is required to do the "easy" dohc gs swap. I'm basically transforming the s into a gs slowly. I hate wiring. Couldve done the whole 4g63t way and done the eclipse ecu, but why???? Ya, I can get my hands on a 63t w 16g fmic and 22 psi guarantee but then I would have to spend 3 months of wiring and soldering and troubleshooting when I've got a perfectly good gs harness and 3 gs ecu's, 2 of wich are eprom and can be socketed by eculink for the gst maps or any maps I want to make and also can datalog with eculink. I got out of the honda's just because of the wiring conversion bit and the fact that honda doesnt have a factory turbo kit that will bolt up with ease. mitsubishi has endless posibilitys with there eclipse and evo turbo setups and parts. plus every dog and there cat has a fucking rice honda out here. 1 other galant other than mine that has any potential and he's just like the noobs on here that paint there grills and hubcaps. I'm well known for the mods and work and progress that ive done on the g and even on a limited budjet. As for the tuning setup, I'm using one of the gs eprom ecu's and a safc2 and maft gen 2 w 3" gm corvett maf. if I need more from there, I'll figgure it out from there. The shifter was a quick mod and just to improve the feel of the shifter. The ebay knockoffs ive looked at look like there just as high as the stock one, they just reduce the throw of the shifts, not the hieght anmd feel of the shifter, thats why i'm going to shorten the ebay short shifter. May go shorter with it also. I love the feel of the f1 indy cars shifters as they are tall enough to fit in your hand and you can shift them practically with your wrist and no arm movement. Thats what I'm going for. I think peanotation has a machined one that is perfect for my setup, but I cant seem to find one like it. As for the pistons, they are stock gs 64sa pistins w new rings on top of 99 4g64 rods. Nothing spetial eccept that they were free to me, traded them for my 97's bottom end. Needed gs pistons as there supposed to be 10:1 for the gs dohc motor. I'm just going to get the gs motor running for now in stock form so I can make sure all the bugs are out of the gs swap before I start putting her under boost. Saving up for the forged 8.5:1 pistons i'm going to needfor the boost I want to be able to push. I've had a g since I first sharted with mitsubishi's. I baught this 94 before the 97 was out of commision. could have had 2 g's, but the 97 had a bad auto and I hated the interior and it had a 700 dollar title loan. the s was only 500 dollars and it has grey interior and its a original 5 speed, meaning i dont have to fuck around with the wiring I'de have to do to convert a auto to stick. I choose the easy and cheap way every time. Ya, given changing it over to power evrything was a bitch, but the wifey said she wouldnt buy it unless I'de convert it to power. lol. And I have to tear evrything out again to convert the gs ecu and harness over, but thats 1 days worth of plug and play conversion as to where i'de be 3 months of headach with the eclipse conversion. lol. Thanks for the compliments and I'll keep ya' all updated.

oooo Ok :) LoL man that paragraph is a little hard to read but I got thru it :)

It seems you will have a lot of option's with dmslink, maft and safc but makes sense to go that route to match your current parts...

I'am interested in seeing the way your short shifter turns out I may do something similar if I ever can find someone that can weld it for me cheap. Good Luck!!!
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

GS and ES/S/LS pistons are the same. Its just the DOHC head that makes higher compression than the SOHC.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

where did you find your gauge faces

reverse

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/REVER...item53d91aa279

just white

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...item58833e4857

and the one he had I cant find. They used to be on Ebay all the time
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Well, I got a small update, went to the j/y today to get all the parts to replace the things the thieves broke when they broke into the g. Got a new looking airbag, new looking dash, vents, center benzel and the window they broke out in the rear door.

Ok, mko, so if all the pistons are the same for all the models, whats the difference in the markings on top of the pistons? some have 64SA and some just 64S? Was allways wondering about that. Does anybody know where I can get the guage overlays for the gs 150mph cluster?? My white gauge cluster is going to be up for sale here in a while after I get the gs swap done, I'll post on here when I'm selling them.

i got a set but they only go to 140 :(

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

no one makes gauge faces for the GS cluster. Black looks the best anyways

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I just dont like the way they light up. I am looking for them to light up like the new canyons from the back where the numbers and letters light up. Like my buddys rx8. Theres a post somewhere on one of the galant forums of a guy that made his own that use that lighting material from the back of the faces and they look sweet lit up. I'll see if I can find the link. So here's a question to the gs members, If I use my s 140mph cluster with the gs swap, do you think it'll read the correct mph or will it be 10 mph off? remember that im using the whole harness and ecu from the gs.
    Last edited by 97dsmturbogalant; 11-28-2009 at 11:15 AM

Did some work on the g today, got the rear door window replaced, got the old dash out and got it ready to be changed over. Going to install it tomarro when there is some daylight.

Started on bolting the gauge cluster to the dash.

Had to change the vin plate on the dash to the correct one. Could'nt get the rivets to shay in place so I just screwed the plate on.

stripped!!!

The old center benzel and airbag.

Glass from the rear broken window.

Replaced, just need to add another layer of tint to match the original.

Quote Originally Posted by 97dsmturbogalant View Post
    Ok, mko, so if all the pistons are the same for all the models, whats the difference in the markings on top of the pistons? some have 64SA and some just 64S? Was allways wondering about that. Does anybody know where I can get the guage overlays for the gs 150mph cluster?? My white gauge cluster is going to be up for sale here in a while after I get the gs swap done, I'll post on here when I'm selling them.
    IIRC, 94 GS is 64D.
    64SA=9.5:1 cr
    64S=9.0:1 cr
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Man i hope with all this looting that you actually picked up the GS interior. The S interiors are such junk(no offense)
    As for the cluster..... you can use the non-GS cluster if you'd like... but your tach won't work.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr View Post
    Man i hope with all this looting that you actually picked up the GS interior. The S interiors are such junk(no offense)
    As for the cluster..... you can use the non-GS cluster if you'd like... but your tach won't work.
    hey john my s interior isnt bad.. leather and in good shape.. but i bet the GS interior is still better lol

and id switch the clusters
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Quote Originally Posted by Galanttuner10 View Post
    hey john my s interior isnt bad.. leather and in good shape.. but i bet the GS interior is still better lol

and id switch the clusters
    If you have the leather then you don't really have the S interior. Yours was upgraded as an option.

Check the pics of his interior above.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I got the carpet from the gs, the door pannels were junk(ripps and cuts), the seats were in good shape but i'de have to fab up the brackets for the rear seat since its a fold down seat and my s doesnt come equipped for the brackets, but I did get the whole roof skin w/sunroof and visors, headliner and switches. The car I got the dash out of had leather originally, And was a 94 s But it had a jdm japan sticker on it but no dsm tags, leather was cracked to shit on the seats. I'm just going to order some custom catzkin covers for the S seats. My door pannels are allready swapped to the 97 gray es ones. I'm looking to do the leather inserts for them like mko did on his pannels, looks really clean.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    john your right, my old 95 galant s had a shitty cloth interior.. gald thats gone haha

and dsm galant.. nice work and a lot of parts.. they wouldnt let you just take the GS?? all ur missing seems to be the exterior lol
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast