The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CV joint rubber boot touching oil pan

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

CV joint rubber boot touching oil pan

Recently had driver's side CV axle replaced and noticed that one of the rubber boot is partially touching the oil pan. I know the pan can get very hot and was wondering if the heat is enough to damage the new boot. I can't remember if the original boot was touching the pan in the first place. Please let me know what you think. Car is 97 galant ES, 2.4L, AT.

TGC Regular
    no it should not be touching but it should be close to it...

Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    no it should not be touching but it should be close to it...
    This is not good then. I guess the cardone boot is bigger than the original and it sorts of presses against the oil pan. Nothing I can do now but hope that the rubber (neoprene?) stands up to the temp. Thanks.

Just make sure your oil pan bolts are tight. You dont want it falling off while driving cuz of vibration
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    Just make sure your oil pan bolts are tight. You dont want it falling off while driving cuz of vibration
    The actual joint is not touching anything. It's the folding/unfolding part of the rubber bellow that is squished-up against the pan. I am worried that the hot pan may eventually burn through the rubber. In any case, I will double-check the pan bolts, as advised.

Quote Originally Posted by rir74 View Post
    The actual joint is not touching anything. It's the folding/unfolding part of the rubber bellow that is squished-up against the pan. I am worried that the hot pan may eventually burn through the rubber. In any case, I will double-check the pan bolts, as advised.
    I don't think it should be touching the pan anywhere...what does your engine mount on that side look like? I knew a guy once who changed the clutch out in his car...and then cross-threaded the engine mount bolt. The bolt ripped out of the mount and the engine came crashing down on the CV shaft, breaking it.

Soooo check the mount above the CV. Just a suggestion.

EDIT: Also, if your pan bolts were loose, I suspect you would be leaking large quantities of oil...If you're not leaking any, this would most likely eliminate the pan bolts.