The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Experiences with Energy Suspension?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

Experiences with Energy Suspension?

Hi @ all...

I ordered some PU-bushings from energy-suspensions, in the lisitings the Galant isn´t shown, but the bushings for the D30-Eclipse should fit... (I´ve been told...)
    Did anyone of yours use this bushing? Some experiences with mounting it and handling on the track?

I have them and I like them. Some people prefer Prothane bushings, but i got these - they were like 100 bucks cheaper. Ive never taken my car to track, but they will be much stiffer that stock. You may be having problems installing it if you dont have a automotive press. I had to cut mine in half to install them, and 3 years later, I havent had any problems. That was my first mod back in the day. I want even a member here. Prothanes are much easier to install tho.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

TGC Regular
    I have them and I love them. They give you a nice stiff ride

Thx - that helps alot...
    @mko: I´ve an automotive press, so I hope I won´t have problems to remove the old bushings and press the ES inside.
    I read that the protanes comes with a metall-shell, the ES doesn´t. Did you reuse the old shells or are the ES installed without the shells? I got a installation-manuall, but maybe my english is too bad or the manuall to simple - but I can´t find a link that I´ve to use the old shells...
    I think I will have them next week, then I will try them in the "Green Hell of the Eifel", the Nuerburgring. I hope that it doesn´t snows till then...

I had energy suspension on my black GS. they were nice. I got the black kind with the graphite impregnation.

On the white GS i went all out and got Prothane. They are better in every conceivable way. A higher durometer urethane is used. The Prothane literally replace every single bushing in the suspension. Energy suspension does not.

I held energy suspension bushings in one hand, and prothane in the other. I can squish the energy bushings(they are still soft) the prothane i could not squish. even with two hands.

Prothane does cost more, but they are sooooo worth it.
    also a HUUUUUUUUGE benifit to having prothane is that all of their bushings are two piece bushings.
    So if you ever have to replace a control arm or any other suspension part, you can just switch the prothane bushings right over. The energy are one piece bushings and cannot easily be removed with tools, and without damaging the suspension.

A side note for the two piece design: this makes it MUCH easier to install them. the energy have to be pressed in with at the least a c-clamp and a lot of patience. The prothane you can install with your bare hands... and effortlessly

Prothane ftw.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by big&bad View Post
    Thx - that helps alot...
    @mko: I´ve an automotive press, so I hope I won´t have problems to remove the old bushings and press the ES inside.
    I read that the protanes comes with a metall-shell, the ES doesn´t. Did you reuse the old shells or are the ES installed without the shells? I got a installation-manuall, but maybe my english is too bad or the manuall to simple - but I can´t find a link that I´ve to use the old shells...
    I think I will have them next week, then I will try them in the "Green Hell of the Eifel", the Nuerburgring. I hope that it doesn´t snows till then...
    the prothane only comes with shells for the inner bushings of the front and rear REAR control arms. Every other bushing for the prothane uses the factory bore.
    the energy doesn't include these bushings at all.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

yeah, energy dont have the rear lateral and toe arm bushings, and front lower shock mount bushing.

When you press the old bushings out they should come out with the shells/sleeves and then you put the new bushings in just like that no shells or anything. Just make use you use lots of the grease supplied with the bushings, cuz they will squick w/o it.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Great! I was afraid that i have to cut the old rubber off the shells...

@:DOHCstunr . I knew that the prothanes are easier to mount, but they don´t come in monobloc... I´m working for the GTue, it´s like your NTSB, and it´s absolutely forbidden to use bushings that aren´t monobloc. I´ve to present them before mounting to an engeneer, he would keep my license-plate if they aren´t... So at the technical check at the tracks Ii would get problems, too. And in a case of accident I would to have face jail...

whereas the Prothane kit has no sway bar end link bushings, energy can supply them separately though.

With the complicated suspension on the 7G, these bushing makes a world of difference.

PS: Oh Germany has funky rules, I don't know then. But Prothane are best buck for buck.

That are no funky rules - here we have on highwas no speed limit, and if you change something at your car it has to be testetd by our NTSB. They say that changins have to better than before... If the old bushing is monobloc, so the new has it to be, too. Can you imagine what happens if a control-arm lost its bushing at a speed of 220 km/h?
    It will be a lot of paperwork for registrating them in my car-passport... And expensive, too. If you look at offers in ebay for parts of germany, you will mostly find "ABE" or "TÜV-eintragungsfrei". It means that engeneers have tested them and they are 100% save...

Quote Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
    whereas the Prothane kit has no sway bar end link bushings, energy can supply them separately though.

With the complicated suspension on the 7G, these bushing makes a world of difference.

PS: Oh Germany has funky rules, I don't know then. But Prothane are best buck for buck.
    We have balljoint endlinks. There are no bushings in our endlinks. Prothane does however include a variety of swaybar mount bushings for the variety of swaybar sizes that come on the 7g/2g

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by big&bad View Post
    That are no funky rules - here we have on highwas no speed limit, and if you change something at your car it has to be testetd by our NTSB. They say that changins have to better than before... If the old bushing is monobloc, so the new has it to be, too. Can you imagine what happens if a control-arm lost its bushing at a speed of 220 km/h?
    It will be a lot of paperwork for registrating them in my car-passport... And expensive, too. If you look at offers in ebay for parts of germany, you will mostly find "ABE" or "TÜV-eintragungsfrei". It means that engeneers have tested them and they are 100% save...
    lol a control arm lost its bushing........
    thats absurd.

Well I guess you can't install the Energy bushings on your front lower control arm then.... cause guess what? they are 2 piece bushings.(or was it three)
    Last edited by DOHCstunr; 11-29-2009 at 08:48 AM

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I called ES and they told me that it would be in one piece.... Otherwise I cant use them...

Here some parts of cars, that crashes because balljoints or bushing busted at high speed...

Don´t forget, when you go on our highways with 100 miles/h, you are slow! And that for hours!

Every day I´ve to do with drivers, that saves money and comes into acidents, where we have to check why such could happen. And every day I see homemade maintannance without knowledge - a lethal combination...

Worst case was a BMW, that crashed at 250 km/h, because the mechanik forgot to replace a dustcap for 1 $... 4 dead...
    Last edited by big&bad; 11-29-2009 at 09:50 AM