The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: JDM Folding Mirrors install...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 26

JDM Folding Mirrors install...

Here was my little project over the Turkey Day Weekend. I color matched using the rattle can. Sorry for the Camera Phone Pics, wifey is getting me a new Digi Camera For X-mas.
    Update to Pics + Video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ha1lC8VI2U

Last edited by atl_galant; 11-30-2009 at 11:20 AM

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    not bad for rattle can....the wiring is a pain in the ass
    Last edited by 02redgalant; 11-29-2009 at 10:54 PM

Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant View Post
    not bad for rattle can....the wiring is a pain in the ass
    It was a pain. I wired the left side up wrong at first. Did you ever get the "Correct mirrors" for them? I know the driver side looks magnified for some reason.

I kept driver side mirror but thanks to couple of nice guys (QNZ,Qnzmostwanted) you can use the actual mirror glass from i think its 99+ Mirage passenger side which is convex and its the same shape(get on ebay its like 15 bucks for the glass)...which helps but the bases on the jdm's are different which is why your right mirror wont fold as much your driver side and even with convex the angle isn't perfect..just gotta get used to it :/

Very nice. Were you able to get the relay to work too, so that it folds when you turn off the engine in the car?

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    I took my oe mirrors and had them cut it the same size as the jdm ones then just snapped them back in the location of the jdm mirror holder. I took it to a glass cuting store.

Quote Originally Posted by tamim13 View Post
    Very nice. Were you able to get the relay to work too, so that it folds when you turn off the engine in the car?
    Nope, I just hit the switch. Details on that would be great. I just updated the post with outside pics and a video.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
    I took my oe mirrors and had them cut it the same size as the jdm ones then just snapped them back in the location of the jdm mirror holder. I took it to a glass cuting store.
    Wow... How much did they charge you to do that?

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atl_galant View Post
    Wow... How much did they charge you to do that?

i think like 10 bucks. the problem was finding someone willing to do it. I lived in NYC when I did that so there was like 4 glass cutting places near eachother after going to 3 of them did not want to do it the 4th one said ok. he traced it and chipped away the excess then cleaned up the edges with a grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicano View Post
    i think like 10 bucks. the problem was finding someone willing to do it. I lived in NYC when I did that so there was like 4 glass cutting places near eachother after going to 3 of them did not want to do it the 4th one said ok. he traced it and chipped away the excess then cleaned up the edges with a grinder.
    Thanks for the heads up. I will see if I can find someone around here that does that...

dude, just get the mirage glass, its direct fit, just remove the jdm glass from the housing, remove the backing, put teh mirage glass, and ur done, its like a 2 min job and u get both driver and passenger mirrors perfect

LOL right just ignore everything I said

Quote Originally Posted by 02redgalant View Post
    I kept driver side mirror but thanks to couple of nice guys (QNZ,Qnzmostwanted) you can use the actual mirror glass from i think its 99+ Mirage passenger side which is convex and its the same shape(get on ebay its like 15 bucks for the glass)...which helps but the bases on the jdm's are different which is why your right mirror wont fold as much your driver side and even with convex the angle isn't perfect..just gotta get used to it :/

Wow... I did not even see this post pimpin... My bad... Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by atl_galant; 11-30-2009 at 06:26 PM

Looks like a good job, but you should paint the base of the mirror too, no one ever does. I think I'm the only one who's ever color-matched the entire JDM mirror housing.

Experienced TGC Member
    How did you get the mirror switch installed into the switch trim piece on the dash? I got a set of these mirrors from Ivory8g a while back, but I haven't mounted the switch yet. I tried putting it in a couple weeks ago but it seems like the trim area was too large...do I need the JDM trim as well then?

The color came out pretty good though man, color matching all of it might look better but if you install the black trim around the windows it might look really good the way you have it now.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post
    How did you get the mirror switch installed into the switch trim piece on the dash? I got a set of these mirrors from Ivory8g a while back, but I haven't mounted the switch yet. I tried putting it in a couple weeks ago but it seems like the trim area was too large...do I need the JDM trim as well then?

The color came out pretty good though man, color matching all of it might look better but if you install the black trim around the windows it might look really good the way you have it now.
    The JDM switch is only a couple millimeters smaller than its USDM counterpart. You could put the JDM switch there (as pictured) and silicone it from behind and it will look and operate as if it was factory on the USDM.

RedGalant's :WUB: :WUB: ICEMAN99TURBO's Avatar
    Bad ass mod to say the least!

Quote Originally Posted by SPD_FRK View Post

To be honest, I cheated... As RedGalant2K1 said ,The JDM switch is only a couple millimeters smaller than its USDM counterpart... If you look at the below pic, I used black tape and wraped it around about 6 times. This made it fit great into that slot. Before that I used a dremel and changed the housing of the orginal on to fit the JDM one. When I was moving from my work bench back to my car i lost it somewhere. I think I like this fitment better anyways. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1 View Post
    Looks like a good job, but you should paint the base of the mirror too, no one ever does. I think I'm the only one who's ever color-matched the entire JDM mirror housing.

Nice... what did you use to paint it? I actually wanted it to be separate. Now the 20 million double dollar questions is, did you paint the black part that is showing once it is folded? Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by atl_galant View Post
    Nice... what did you use to paint it? I actually wanted it to be separate. Now the 20 million double dollar questions is, did you paint the black part that is showing once it is folded? Lol...
    Yes, both mirrors were disassembled and fully painted. I had them done at a local shop, who's owner I know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast