The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: major help needed in dohc swap

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

major help needed in dohc swap

OK so here is the deal today I got a sonata head from the local junk yard and as of right now I have 8 bent intake valves and the rest looks good. From the looks the bent valve didn't damage the mating surface of the head if it did it's minimal however I have com across a bigger question upon disassmebly of the head I have 3 lifters that I question. If a lifter has movement in the top half (meaning where it meets the rocker) is it good or bad. Now of all 16 only 3 have this issue so are 13 bad or good. the donor car only had 80g miles on it so I'm guessing it was a diy mechanic that didn't follow the marks and cause the valves to bend since thats all that makes sense to me all rollers on the intake cam were off but that would not let the valve get bent since the springs would pull them closed but if it was off 180 degrees it would be open not closed at tdc. Is this correct or is there something I'm not seeing that I should? And how do I know which lifters are good and which are bad ( yes I know it's best to put all new ones but) I'm on a budget so just asking for future knowledge.

have that head checked.... if the valves are bent then the head might be warped and no good. and lifters are not to expensive
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LASH-...Q5fAccessories

If the lifters plunger has excessive movement in it when charged with oil, then replace it, its probably a good idea to replace them all if some of them are bad, but if your budget is short test each one to double check.

Most of the valve kits you will find with have lifters rockers and guides in them it is best to replace all of this because you do not know the extent of the damage to the rest of the head, if I where you before you start dumping money into this thing take it in and have it preasure tested to make sure their are no cracks and also have them check the seats so you will know if you have to get over sized valves or not.

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Ok guy's well I brought the head to the shop this morning the guy removed the first valve which was the worst one he could see and all looked ok. He said oversized valves should be just fine and that I should replace them all and after advice from you guys last night I looked and am going to order the full kit w/ 1mm oversized vales brass guides and new lifters I will also be ordeing better springs as well the shop said they will surface the head 4 angle v/j and blast the head, v/c, and therm houseing as well as assemble everything giving me back basicly a brand new head all for $435. now I just have to order my valves and springs and then it's off to the races.

^^ awesome, glad to hear!