The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: anybody know How to replace idler pulley on galant 8G 2.4I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 21

anybody know How to replace idler pulley on galant 8G 2.4I

Hi,

I got some noise from idler pulley. Does anybody know how to replace the idler pulley?

I know how to tighen the belt, first loosen the lock nut then adjust tensionor bolt. Dose the replacing of idler pulley has the similar procedure? Can I remove the pulley after taking off the lock nut? Is there enough room to do this on the top side of engine? Should I get under the car to remove idler pulley?

waiting for answer.

Thanks

your best bet is to go spend the 20 bucks on a Chilton's because your going to need torque specks.

By the way, which bolt need torque? It's not automatic tensioner, just jacking screw tensioner. You mean the lock nut?

The tension on belt can be checked according the deflection of belt between two pulleys.

Experienced TGC Member Rach3T8G's Avatar
    is it making a squeeking sound on cold starts? cuz i have that same problem
    - Chris -
    2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT: My DD
    2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 5MT

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    EVERY bolt on the car has a specified torque that it should be set at. When it comes to engine stuff, it is especially important to follow those specs. In this case, torquing it until it is pretty tight is maybe sufficient, but I would still go to specs. I think you need to use locktight too

get either chilton or haynes. They give all the specs and tell you how to do everything

^x2, close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades, trust me I have thrown both

Quote Originally Posted by Rach3T8G View Post
    is it making a squeeking sound on cold starts? cuz i have that same problem
    yep. mine does it too. the shop told me it was the pulley. they want me to come back so they can take a look at it, but they charge too much.

mine does that too, i tightened it up and it doesnt do it anymore, but i do think the pully is the prob, eventually it will start again.

Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar
    if i remember correctly, you are gonna have to take off the belts and the front passenger wheel. if you were to change the pulley, might as well do everything the timing consists of, so you won't have to go under there for at least another 60k miles. screw haynes and chilton. get the 8g service repair manual.

http://www.4shared.com/file/10782599...t_8gpart1.html
    http://www.4shared.com/file/10782600...t_8gpart2.html

good luck.

The galants are known for squealing belts, my pulleys have only been on for 18k miles and they squeal, i have to tighten the accessory belt up every 2-3 weeks.
    Light em up.

BTW the pully requires 26 FT-LBS torque spec.
    Last edited by Galant Evolution; 12-03-2009 at 02:24 PM

Quote Originally Posted by DFX View Post
    yep. mine does it too. the shop told me it was the pulley. they want me to come back so they can take a look at it, but they charge too much.
    i just bought the part from a mitsubishi dealer for $95 going to pick it up tommorrow and install it wednesday
    - Chris -

was talking to a guy at work yesterday, and he said to see if its the pulley, take the belt off and see if it wiggles.

Quote Originally Posted by DFX View Post
    was talking to a guy at work yesterday, and he said to see if its the pulley, take the belt off and see if it wiggles.
    my pulley is rusted so gotta replace it anyway LoL but thanx for the advice tho
    - Chris -

I got it fixed in shop. The pulley was bad. The axle in the middle wiggled.

To remove the pulley, they removed belt, passage side engine mount and power steering pump to get enough space to take the pulley off. Hope this will help those people want to do pulley themselves.

BTW, the pulley was really expensive. I was charged $158 on the parts. But, I need get it fixed soon. No choice. :(

Thanks all guys giving suugestion and help.

Quote Originally Posted by xlibra View Post

To remove the pulley, they removed belt, passage side engine mount and power steering pump to get enough space to take the pulley off. Hope this will help those people want to do pulley themselves.

BTW, the pulley was really expensive. I was charged $158 on the parts. But, I need get it fixed soon. No choice. :(

wow thanx for the heads up gonna be doing this myself wednesday and putting on a new PS belt
    - Chris -

Somebody said removing passage front tire and splash guard might give room to remove pulley. But I'm not sure.

The guy in shop just removed engine mount and power steering pump. However, this may be not the only way. This may be just the easy way for them because they have power tools.

Somebody said removing passage front tire and splash guard might give room to remove pulley. But I'm not sure.

The guy in shop just removed engine mount and power steering pump. However, this may be not the only way. This may be just the easy way for them because they have power tools.
    the easiest way for me is to raise my car in the air and work on it from the bottom had to do this to change the generator belt
    - Chris -

sorry for being a noob but you are talking about this type of accessory belt tension pulley? I also have been hearing the squealing sound and it I just remembered it a few days ago didn't know what the cause was but it may be that part....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast