The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Eprom ECU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 26

Eprom ECU

I understand that it will enable greater tuning possabilitys but I'm very fuzzy on anything else. Would someone please explane the point and how it works. IE, progams used how the computer is connected and such

DSM Chips is where you can find more info.

But real quick. EEProm is an Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory. So some ECU have a chip, some dont. For these that dont have it theres not much you can do with them. The EEPROM suited ECUs have to be socketed first - that means that the chip needs to be undone from the circuit board and then a socket is soldered instead and the chip is pinned on the socket. After its socketed, the chip can be easily removed or flashing/erasing/ and burning/reprogramming/. You need an EEPROM reader/writer that is hooked up to a PC and the software that supports the EEPROM device. From there on you can change injector size, change fuel maps and so on. After you re done with the changes and burn the new values on the chip, but you always need to have your original settings on file in case shit happens.

Socketing and all that is a little outdated. Newer thing is the DSM link or the DS map, and the newest is directly connecting to the ECU and changing things as you go.

FYI some GS ECUs are EEPROM and I was told that it might be able to accept Evo 3 values, but this is not confirmed yet.
    Last edited by mko; 12-02-2009 at 08:50 PM
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

so what do I need to look for when I crack mine open to check.

if you have a eprom you will know lol there is a raised chip inside but i would just reccomend getting a eclipse eprom ecu cause you can not run dsm link on the galant ecu

1996 galant s
    finishing up my 2.4L DOHC, 10.5:1, precision sc60, meth injected MONSTER.

Another option out there in the way of ECU tuning is the evo 8 ecu or the 98/99 Eclipse Flashable ECU.

Items needed to tune and flash are
    laptop, openport 2.0 cable, ecuflash, and evoscan for logging or mitsu logger.

There's a bunch of eclipse guys on dsm tuners running this with success and highest stock evo ecu record is upwards of 700whp...

Ohh and it can be a little cheaper then dsm link in the long run...
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

You are here entirely tooo much!! Galanttuner10's Avatar
    redline, if its eprom u will see a little E on the cover in the bottom left. and mitch is right you need a 1g eprom ecu unless you wanna switch to OBD2 then run a 2g eprom. ig ecus are easier to find tho
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    1996 Galant S 5 Speed Turbo
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

how hard is the obd1.5 to 2 swap? are you talking like an entirely new harness or some repins

Quote Originally Posted by RedLine DOHC View Post
    how hard is the obd1.5 to 2 swap? are you talking like an entirely new harness or some repins
    whole harness. do a 1g harness swap and the eprom ecu and turbo it and ur good to go
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR
    Need a Turbo rebuilt or upgraded--> http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showt...ebuild-Service

I have to pull the dash out if I'm not mistaken, and will the gauge harness need rewired for thee 7g cluster? also I would need the cas from the 1G also? would cruse work? is there already a tutorial on this by chance

not sure on a tutorial anywhere. in the AWD swapped galant they address the rewire with the 1g ecu swap. swap to a non cruise cable as i will be.

its up to you but honestly its probably better just to swap the ecus and repining a couple things instead of pulling the whole harness

i wanted to swap to a 97 harness with my 97 ecu but im just gonna rewire it with the new connectors and repining the ecu connector
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

ya I read through that thread the other day and thats why I asked.....repin looks and sounds easyer

with 1g ecu... its not just a couple, its not even a few.... its every single pin

i have a whole 96 harness of 7g, if you want it its yours, just find yourself 2g ECU Spyder or GST/GSX and youre good

Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mko View Post
    with 1g ecu... its not just a couple, its not even a few.... its every single pin

i have a whole 96 harness of 7g, if you want it its yours, just find yourself 2g ECU Spyder or GST/GSX and youre good
    it is really all the pins for the 1G? never knew as i have a 96 and didnt wanna swap my old 95.
    redline get the 96 harness an do the 2g ecu swap. now cuz he has a GS is his ignition capable as if its a 95 ecu it has the weird CAS. im doing a 97-99 CAS
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

The currently work that i've done on my 7g turbo is changing my engine wiring harness with 1g turbo wiring harness with 1g Eprom ECU and then developed to V3 ECMlink , you just need to do some modifications on wiring harness and add some wires if you want to do anything .
    for example , i have a wideband and i connected front o2 wire to wideband signal ( ECMlink ecu can read it easily without needing input buffer ) , splices some 1g wires to 7g interior wires to read some factors that your ecu needs to know like vehicle speed , water temp to ecu , check engine light , turbo gauge and diagnosis wires ( 3 wires required ) , etc .
    plus there is a unit with 8 pin on 1g wiring harness that included 4 wires for windshield and another 4 wire is ( two ignition switch wires ,one ignition start ,one fuel pump ) that you must splice them to your 7g wires on the driver side . i made the socket like 1g wiring and its easy to connect now .
    i have some wiring diagram that it will help you alot , plus i know many things about 1g/2g wiring harness , feel free and let me know if you need something .

Good Luck

FYI some GS ECUs are EEPROM and I was told that it might be able to accept Evo 3 values, but this is not confirmed yet.
    There is one confirmed case went one guy in Barbabos uses an Evo 3 rom file in his NA RVR.

Mko, have you socketed and dump the GS rom yet? I would love to compare it to a 160hp NA 4G63 rom file.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

Icon6

thanks I will keep that in mind for when the build gets closer. I know it will be fall of 2011 sucks but it has to be that far out because thats the time I get back from afghanistan and I plan on buying a used evo x at that point so the G can go on stands. cams and headers along with 2.5" cat to axle to match whats axle back and the sway bar I got off you in the spring though

Quote Originally Posted by ali_viento View Post
    The currently work that i've done on my 7g turbo is changing my engine wiring harness with 1g turbo wiring harness with 1g Eprom ECU and then developed to V3 ECMlink , you just need to do some modifications on wiring harness and add some wires if you want to do anything .
    for example , i have a wideband and i connected front o2 wire to wideband signal ( ECMlink ecu can read it easily without needing input buffer ) , splices some 1g wires to 7g interior wires to read some factors that your ecu needs to know like vehicle speed , water temp to ecu , check engine light , turbo gauge and diagnosis wires ( 3 wires required ) , etc .
    plus there is a unit with 8 pin on 1g wiring harness that included 4 wires for windshield and another 4 wire is ( two ignition switch wires ,one ignition start ,one fuel pump ) that you must splice them to your 7g wires on the driver side . i made the socket like 1g wiring and its easy to connect now .
    i have some wiring diagram that it will help you alot , plus i know many things about 1g/2g wiring harness , feel free and let me know if you need something .

Good Luck
    Thats awesome dude. We've discussed swapping the whole harness before, but its just a project not suitable for a DD and not having another car.

Build Thread

Just thought I'd throw my .02 in. If your car is a GS, DOHC stock then it will make the rewire to a 1g ECU much easier than mine was. I started with a SOHC automatic car which meant I had a lot of extra crap I didn't need (automatic wires) and a lot of stuff missing (coilpack wires, knock sensor, cam angle sensor.) If I remember correctly the DOHC GS cars already have all that so doing the conversion will be a LOT easier. Even just starting with a manual car would be a big help.

What are you planning to run for an engine? Will you turbo the 2.4 or swap in a 4G63-T? That'll make a difference on how much cash you'll have to shell out for tuning. DS-MAP really is a great tuning solution if you go with the 1g ECU. The $ investment isn't bad since you can easily resell the Ostrich emulator for full or nearly full price. Same goes for the wideband.

Thanks for going and helping us over in Afghanistan. If you need wiring schematics for the 7g let me know. I can scan in what I've got and email it to you. Otherwise contact a mechanic who works on Mitsubishis when you get home and ask them to print out the ECU wiring schematics for you. Any shop worth their lifts will have it all on CD's. The 1g ECU stuff is all over the net if you dig for it a bit.
    - Nick, 94 Galant ES - 4G64 DOHC Turbo AWD, E3-16G & Manifold, 780cc inj, fmic, DS-MAP Speed Density

"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge..." - Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by eclipsh View Post
    Just thought I'd throw my .02 in. If your car is a GS, DOHC stock then it will make the rewire to a 1g ECU much easier than mine was. I started with a SOHC automatic car which meant I had a lot of extra crap I didn't need (automatic wires) and a lot of stuff missing (coilpack wires, knock sensor, cam angle sensor.) If I remember correctly the DOHC GS cars already have all that so doing the conversion will be a LOT easier. Even just starting with a manual car would be a big help.

What are you planning to run for an engine? Will you turbo the 2.4 or swap in a 4G63-T? That'll make a difference on how much cash you'll have to shell out for tuning. DS-MAP really is a great tuning solution if you go with the 1g ECU. The $ investment isn't bad since you can easily resell the Ostrich emulator for full or nearly full price. Same goes for the wideband.

Thanks for going and helping us over in Afghanistan. If you need wiring schematics for the 7g let me know. I can scan in what I've got and email it to you. Otherwise contact a mechanic who works on Mitsubishis when you get home and ask them to print out the ECU wiring schematics for you. Any shop worth their lifts will have it all on CD's. The 1g ECU stuff is all over the net if you dig for it a bit.
    ya I'm gonna run the 4G64 block. It will make the power sooner so logic tells me that it will be more street able and lower rpm means it will cost less to drive if i can play nice.... plus I always said I would never buy an eclipse because everyone has one so to stay true to that, I will just rob parts from it instead of the entire engine

all you really have to do to your current motor is get like manley rods and wiseco pistons get the crank polished and new bearings and gaskets and your good, you dont have to swap heads or anything really. you have it easy starting with a GS. my block alone bored out, polished crank, hot tanked, decked, wiseco 87mm pistons, manley rods , new ACL bearings and painted was lets see 800 for the block and crank and porting ect and then another 800 for the other internals and bearings, rebuilt 63 head new 3g lifters, valve seals, valves was like 400 then the rest of the stuff for the swap is aound like 800, mostly new parts of course, 2g ecu swap and turbo setup.

now you avoid most of that list and will prolly pay like 1000(internals, gaskets and some machining( bore 20 over to make sure the cylinder walls are silky smooth and not scored) and be set for a turbo setup where i payed like 3k.

my machining was 250 and the crank polishing was only 45 and they only charged me 70 bucks for shipping from michigan to CT. ( dont have block yet getting it in a few months when it gets warmer, 4g63 colt has become the winter project for me and my buddy so spring is when ill have pics. shop is doing everything but then holding it to ship until i need it)
    2014 Lancer Evo GSR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast