Thread: How To: Outlander Intake Manifold Swap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 55

How To: Outlander Intake Manifold Swap

Note: original author is underated4g64
    Note: Galant Forums.com Refrence: Click Here

Mitsubishi Outlander Intake Manifold Swap for the 99-03 Galant

Why:
    The OEM 99-03 galant de/es 4cyl intake manifolds are known to crack due to wear and vibration which causes vacuum leaks and for those with turbo, boost leaks. The leaks cause driving issues like poor gas mileage, stalling and increased emissions.

Tools:
    Assorted sockets and wrenches (basic sizes) 7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm
    Extensions for 3/8th and ¼
    Swivel sockets if possible make the bolts under the manifold easier
    Sealant (for reinstalling the water neck)
    Blade
    Carb and choke cleaner or brake cleaner
    Sewing needle
    Screwdriver (Philips)
    18 gauge wire (color is up to you)
    Non insulated butt connectors or solder
    Shrink tubing
    Gasket sealant

Parts:
    Try to get the complete assembly but if you have to piece them together you will need

From Outlander:
    • Manifold
      Throttle body
      Manifold support
      Throttle position sensor (galant sensor will not work) (MD628074)

From Galant:
    • Oil dipstick tube and gauge
      Reuse all other sensors other then the throttle position sensor

You can use either the galant or the outlander:
    • Injectors *NOTE* This information maybe wrong. You might only be able to use the Galant infectors: Click Here
      Fuel rail
      Fuel pressure regulator

New:
    • Intake manifold gasket (MD420945)

Disassembly:
    Relieve fuel pressure by removing the fuel pump relay (located in the fuse box under the hood)turn the car on and let it run till it stops by itself, be sure to replace relay when done

Drain coolant (I can’t stress this enough if you don’t you WILL have a floor full of coolant) even though you don’t touch the radiator the throttle body does have coolant running through it and you will need to pull the lower radiator hose and water neck off later to access bolts on the manifold

Remove the hood (trust me it helps) (4) 12mm bolts Remove the battery from the car (frees up space to work)

Remove the whole intake piping from the throttle body and place it aside, use the socket that is right for your piping.

Unbolt throttle position sensor, absolute manifold pressure sensor, ignition failure sensor unplug EGR connectors, and unbolt the grounding cable. Unclip the fuel injector connectors. (Be sure to replace the bolts after you remove the sensors so you don’t loose them)

Disconnect throttle cable from the throttle body by removing the (2) bolts on the valve cover and the (2) on the throttle adjustment plate to give some slack. Push the throttle lever down like your opening it and push the cable through and to the side to free it from the lever. You might have to remove the throttle body to get enough slack if so, disconnect the (2) vacuum lines on top of the TB, then unclamp the feed and return coolant lines from the
    TB, then remove the (4) bolts holding it to the manifold they are 12mm bolts.

Remove hoses connecting to the manifold; remove the vacuum hose coming from the brake booster.

Once you have the cable off you can jack up the car (BE SURE TO USE JACKSTANDS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE CAR) it would be best to raise it pretty high because its tight space under there. Remove the exhaust piping if you need to my arms are pretty long and I was able to get around in there without removing the exhaust piping.

Once under the car you will see a rectangular bracket (manifold support bracket) it is held on by (4) bolts all 14mm remove them and remove the bracket. There is a wire loom connected to the bracket, unclip that also. Once you removed the bracket there are (4) 12mm bolts that you will be able to access
    remove those

Now back on top of the car start on the passenger side there is one 12mm bolt on the far corner, 3 12mm nuts across the top of the manifold flange, and (3) 12mm bolts in a triangle configuration that hold on the water neck on the driver side of the car 2 you can see 1 you cant you have to feel underneath for it.

Now unbolt the fuel feed line from the fuel rail, and disconnect the return line form the fuel pressure regulator. (Have a rag handy to catch excess fuel left over after the depressurizing step earlier) if you didn’t do that step you will have a lot of fuel coming out now

Unclip the connecter from the coolant temp sensor on the Water neck. Unclip the clamp on the lower radiator hose that connects to the water neck also. Now pull the water neck while making rotating motions and it will come off. (Be careful with the o-ring still on the water pipe) cleanout the sealant in the little groove of the neck, place the water neck aside for now

The manifold should move a little by now. DOUBLE CHECK ALL HOSES, CONNECTORS, WIRES, SENSORS ARE FREE FROM THE MANIFOLD BEFORE PROCEEDING

CAREFULLY REMOVE THE MANIFOLD FROM THE HEAD, BE CAREFUL NOT THE DAMAGE THE THREADS ON THE 3 STUDS BY SLIDING THE MANIFOLD OFF.

Wiring:
    Locate the throttle position connector. Cut the 3 wires about and inch or 2 away from the connector to give you enough wire to work with. Add about 3-4 inches of wire between the 2 sections because the outlander sensor is on the firewall side of the manifold now.

Next locate the 2 clips for the EGR connections (black and brownish-red clips) 2 wires each. These to will have to be made substantially longer because the clips are now on the passenger side instead of on the drivers’ side. So add about 5-6 inches to the 4 wires.

Locate the throttle position sensor again and notice the color and location of the wires in the connecter. If you place the 2 sensors face up (part that connects to throttle body) the galant sensor will have 2 pins on the left then a space then one pin (--x-), the outlander will have 1 pin n the left then a space and 2 on the right (-x--). So now that you notice the difference you will have to remove the wire from the connecter using the sewing needle and rearrange them. The black wire goes to the single pin, the brown/white wire goes on the middle pin and the green/white goes to the other outside pin then reconnect the clip to the sensor.

Wiring all done, not too bad right

Reassembly:
    This is pretty easy if you took my advice about putting the bolts back in there place if you are going to use the outlander fuel rail and injectors then you don’t have much to do, if you are going use your stock components then now is the time to switch them over

Next put the new intake manifold gasket back on the head

Reinstall the manifold

Hold the manifold while you secure the manifold with the old bolts and nuts (finger tight)

Connect the EGR clips to there sensors they are color coded and they only go on one way so it’s pretty easy. Bolt up the TPS to the manifold.

Reconnect the fuel injector clips

Hook up the FPR to the small vacuum port on the left side of the new manifold

Reconnect the brake booster vacuum line to the manifold

Bolt the ground cable back up to the manifold

Reconnect the coolant hoses to the throttle body

Reconnect the throttle cable to the TB

Get back under the car and reinstall the manifold bracket (4) 14mm bolts

Now you can fill the groove inside the water neck with a gasket making sealant and reinstall it with the (3) 12mm bolts

Torque down the intake manifold bolts and nuts to the factory specs

Bolt up the fuel feed line and clamp down the fuel return line

Now some custom fab work you will have to bend the galant oil dip stick to fit the outlander tube is too short and does not come close to the mounting point when used on the galant. Use an L bracket to secure the tube to the head.

Make sure all coolant and vacuum lines have some type of clamp on them to get rid of leaks there is nothing worse then finishing up a project and finding out you have to take stuff apart again to fix a small mistake that could have been avoided.

Double, triple, quadruple check EVERYTHING you touched during the install once you are sure everything is in its place Start the car. AND YOU ARE DONE

Here are some pictures during the install

Last edited by Prophet; 06-01-2011 at 10:19 AM

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Great info! signed for future reference!!!

99Galant4G64
    Thanks another thing to add to Project 4G64 Monster!!!

ive been looking for this info everywhere and i cant seem to find it, it may be on here but... what exactly are the advantages of the outlander manifold? i know that it is stronger however im curious of what any power gains might be, and if its worth doing...i may turbo my car in the future but are their any advantages without the car being turboed?

my stock broke off last nite...time to upgrade to this setup...thanks for the write out helps

88 Mustang SALEEN
    00 ES
    00 GTZ
    00 750il V12
    00 Montero Sport
    02 Lancer OZ

Prophet, would you have photo of the Manifold Support bracket from the Outlander?
    Last edited by GSpeed; 04-18-2010 at 08:48 PM

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    i used the same bracket off the galants oem manifold, just painted it

krispy03, thanks for your reply and posting the photo, much appreciated. So the intake manifold bracket (painted black in photo just right of the Evolution emblem) was OEM part on Galant and not taken from doner vehicle (04 Outlander 2.4 SOHC non-MIVEC engine)?

correct, its from the galant manifold, i painted and used it on the outlander manifold

can anyone dumb down the tps wiring for me...it's the only thing i need to finish up on.

"Locate the throttle position sensor again and notice the color and location of the wires in the connecter. If you place the 2 sensors face up (part that connects to throttle body) the galant sensor will have 2 pins on the left then a space then one pin (--x-), the outlander will have 1 pin n the left then a space and 2 on the right (-x--). So now that you notice the difference you will have to remove the wire from the connecter using the sewing needle and rearrange them. The black wire goes to the single pin, the brown/white wire goes on the middle pin and the green/white goes to the other outside pin then reconnect the clip to the sensor."

the wires are color coded, theres only 3

00GalantX
    Is the egr valve on the galant the same as the one on the outlander

thestig
    has anyone dyno tested the manifold yet to see if it will make a differance power/ torque wise? i got a dyno at my shop i just dont know if i wana buy a new manifold if it wont do anything.

now i was wondering since it does not say in the tut, do we need to get a different throttle cable??, i am going to buy the manifold and use my v6 throttle body with it, instead of buying a outlander one. But i read somewhere that the butterfly on the TB, only will open about 75%.

Question 2, Will i have a issue running the V6 tb since the throttle cable connects on the other side, the v6 TB connects on the right side of the manifold, and the outlander tb connects on the left side on the manifold

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    No answers for the man's questions? ^^
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

ill have to find out myself when i get around to buying it hahah

Quote Originally Posted by underated View Post
    Haha thanks Len for posting that I havent been on the boards for awhile, but the swap is very easy... there are a few other things you need that are not on that list on the first post... and some that are there that you dont need....

You dont need the FPR, fuel rail, or injectors.

But you do need the manifold support bracket, and you do need to bend you stock dipstick tube and you do need the outlander throttle cable or you can place washers under the gas peddel to bring it out farther... If you dont do this the throttle will only open 75%.

Also you have to swap the 2 outer wire on the throttle position sensor clip or you will get incorrect readings.

Read the tutorial I covered everything in it with pictures
    Quote Originally Posted by underated View Post
    You need the the Outlander or Evo TPS and you need to swap the wires around inside the connector or else your car will not run correctly:
    Quoted to add content to this thread.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Anybody have pix of the fuel/coolant hoses on the TB side? Im mixed up on which ones go where rt now...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Hey folks I need some help with this swap. Ive run into a few connection questions. Pics below...

This sensor was bolted to the top of the manifold before but now theres no mounting point that I can see:

This comes from the branch of fuel lines, but IDK where to put it now:

This line goes to the EGR connections but IDK what connects to this? Possibly the fuel line above ^ ?

This coolant line comes from the metal pipeline that runs along the head and connects to the water neck/ thermostat housing, which line does this connect to on the TB?

This coolant line runs directly from the water neck/ thermostat housing, which line does this connect to on the TB?

From what Ive gathered these two lines above ^ connect to these two lines on the TB, but which one where?

For those of you who have any clue on this please post your thoughts. Thx
    JDM Zenki Conversion

I will try to help you as much as I can. I need to go to the car and take pictures of my settup.

Triple Diamond Motors East Cost
    02 2.5L Fully Built Galant 5 speed
    SOHC Turbo
    http://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?52330-Isaurio-s-Turbo-Built-quot-4G64T-quot-Heavy-pics>My 4G64 Turbo Built

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast