The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4g63 evo

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

4g63 evo

So i have done some research and unfortunatly im sloww, i dont have a complete knowlage of motors im still learning a ton so take it easy on me! so i need some help understanding some key points here. The 4g63 head will bolt directly onto the 4g63 block? What are the benifits of this??? how does changing the head of an engine provide benifits? am i missing a link, is there a tut on how to do this?? Again guys and gals i do not have a good understanding on motors at all, im learning from you guys! Pretty much what i want to do is keep a N/A engine but put a 63 head on if it provides any benifits? i want to just tune and tweak up my motor and im lost in direction. Please help!

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    As far as i know, the only 4g63t works on the 8g is the EVO head, Other options are the Hyundai/Kia Head. The DOHC would get you more air flow, and if you plan on making a N/A you probably want to get some higher compression pistons and do some head work. Look around on the site for build threads and such and throw those guys a PM.

^^^ thanks alot for the info!

Oh and check out some of the threads on club3g.com there is a wealth of information over there.

thanks big time man! yeah i dont have the money for a turbo set up so i wanna tune up my N/A engine

You can make a budget turbo setup with relative ease. most 1g and 2g turbo manifolds will bolt right on to your car and and then depending on what turbo you can find probably a little 14b for cheap and a Side mount intercooler for dirt cheap.

really? i dont know my engine shyte what would i be looking for as far as parts? can my car handle boost at 98k? i travel most hwy 60 miles a day

i want to make my car have an evo twist to it, could i simply drop a evo motor in my car all fitted with the factory turbo on it? would that fit?

once again i could be wrong but, teh 4g64 can handle around 10-11 psi on stock interals. lost of 3g guys have turbo 4g64's. The two cars are nearly identical engine wise, you just have a little more room. I have the 3.0 6g72. There is a whole thread named "how to turbo charge your 8g" its a great write up, you should take the time to read it, it goes through with great detail what you can and cant do. As far as the EVO motor goes, it is possible i think Vegasmatt and Cali have done the EVO swap, i think there is another member on here that has it done aswell. Just use the search bar freind.

thanks bro

i can run the turbo auto trans right?

TGC Regular
    OK, The common misconseption is that the evo motor is better than the 4g64.. Wrong but you have to do it right. The 4g64 is just as good if not better than the evo motor if its done correctly.. at 98k your car is still a baby.. The 2.4 lt is better than the 2.0.. It is also relitivly easy for you to turbo the G. And it will be well worth it.
    Yes you can Turbo your G with the auto trans.. Will it last? maybe.. My suggestion along with everyone else on here is to go 5speed. you wont regret it!! I promise you that. In order for you to get good performance out of an N/A motor you have to spend alot of money. Your talking cams, Pistons, rods and lightened crank. Plus not to mention getting the head ported along with other machineing. Believe it or not your cheaper way for good performance is to turbo it.. You could also just turbo the SOHC head... Even that will give you goose bumps when you drive it. You could probibly turbo your G depending on how you shop for less than 2k.. I dont know too much about the 8th G platform but its similar to the 7th G so if you have any questions feel free. To be honest with you the best thing you could do is research research research!!! Everything that I know is from reading.. There is soo much information here you wont know what to do with it!!! Read the build threads... It might be a little confusing at first but youll get it.. Im serious though i can tell you how to do everything but you wont really know untill you understand it yourself! Also if you do read the build threads read EVERY post in order!! Thats how you learn.. It has taken me 2 years to learn as much as I have and Im still learnign!! Pm me if you have any questions though I am more than happy to help you!
    Last edited by skrap; 12-23-2009 at 01:25 PM

PM sent thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Galant Evolution View Post
    ^^^ thanks alot for the info!
    The Sonata or Optima DOHC head swap will be just as good as the Evo, but you will have a better stock compression ratio. You can use all of the Evo cylinder head parts on those heads as well. It all depends on your personal preference and what you are aiming for in your build.

Lofty
    Pretty sure a DSM headswap will work too. If you need to find parts, the Hyundai has the 4g63 as well, and half the time the parts are much cheaper. Make sure your engine has good compression, and at 96k it is just broken in! I'm not sure about the 4g64 being stronger than a 4g63, but it doesn't really matter, they both take a beating. I would suggest a 14b, they are way underrated and can handle a lot of boost suprisingly. To be honest I probably wouldn't go over 10psi with your car unbuilt if you were planning on turboing it, seeing as there is no "safe" amount of boost when it comes to modding a car.

Good luck man!

Quote Originally Posted by Lofty View Post
    Pretty sure a DSM headswap will work too. If you need to find parts, the Hyundai has the 4g63 as well, and half the time the parts are much cheaper. Make sure your engine has good compression, and at 96k it is just broken in! I'm not sure about the 4g64 being stronger than a 4g63, but it doesn't really matter, they both take a beating. I would suggest a 14b, they are way underrated and can handle a lot of boost suprisingly. To be honest I probably wouldn't go over 10psi with your car unbuilt if you were planning on turboing it, seeing as there is no "safe" amount of boost when it comes to modding a car.

Good luck man!
    Scott, just to make it clear, the DSM 4g63 cylinder head only work on 7G or 2G Spyder 4G64's. The 4G64 in the 8G's and 3G's are in a different orientation. So only the DOHC from the Sonata/Optima and the EVO will work.

Also, as far as strength, the 4G64 and 4G63T are identical. They're both cast iron, which makes them close to bullet proof. The advantage of the 2.0 4G63T over the 4G64 is the powerband. You can run a 16G at a bar of boost with the 4G64 and be okay as long as your tune is on point. It's mostly all about the tune when it comes to that point in boosting a car to be honest.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    OK, The common misconseption is that the evo motor is better than the 4g64.. Wrong but you have to do it right. The 4g64 is just as good if not better than the evo motor if its done correctly.. at 98k your car is still a baby.. The 2.4 lt is better than the 2.0. I dont know too much about the 8th G platform
    Be careful with what your saying....

First off, the EVO motor, in stock form, versus a STOCK 4G64 bottom end, with an EVO head, the EVO motor is "better" being it makes great power and is more reliable. The EVO motor is lower compression so it takes to boost a little better, its cams are also designed for a 2.0 displacement motor, stock EVO cams on a 4G64 block starve the motor for air higher up in the RPMs. The stock EVO motor has oil squirters which is a huge plus on a stock engine that has weaker pistons when compared to a built motor, the 4G64 doesnt, so you have weak pistons, that are getting much hotter then designed for. The stock EVO bottom end has been proven time and time again to be able to handle over 400whp reliably, and some people have made over 600whp on the stock bottom end, not very reliably, but its been done. I dont know of a single person who has made 600whp on a stock 4G64 bottom end and only 1 person (zeeshan on C3g) who made 400whp reliably on the 4G64 and thats also because he had an AEM EMS and great tuning.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS