The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ebay Cat-back exhaust on a V6 (with review/pix)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 37

Ebay Cat-back exhaust on a V6 (with review/pix)

Yes, we all know what this is......

The renowned ebay exhaust system copied from the Megan Racing version for a fraction of the price. How good is it you ask? Well, 95% on this board will say it's crap and the other 5% will say it worked well for them. Wait, you say the 5% on this board who actualy installed this say it's good and the rest say it's crap has never even touch this product? Well, I was skeptical too as being one of the 95% for a long time. Then it got to me the same 5% who had this catback for more than 2 years never had any issues with the system got me to think it may be worth a shot. But I snagged into an obsticle: the catback (or it's Megan counterpart) was designed for the 4 cylinder Galant. I searched the forum for anyone installing this system on a v6 but most were custom built. Since I made some product reviews in the past doing this mod wouldn't hurt that much... $120 shipped compared to $520 I thought, what could go wrong?

Then it was time to install it....

Now I know why the product stated it FITS ON 99-03 MITSUBISHI GALANT 4cycl. only

First, the end links where it connects to the exhaust manifold flex pipe to the straight pipe is missing on the v6 as a high flow cat converter is in its place. For those who have i4 Galants it should bolt on without problems. I had to cut the end piece off and weld it to the hi-flow pipe (see pic below)

After that, everything else was just bolted on. it came in 3 pieces all were just bolt ons (it's separated with a exhaust gasket included in the box. Though I wish it could of came with a heat shield or a exhaust wrap but I could get that at another time.)

Next problem comes from the muffler....

The muffler provided with the kit is a cheap ebay product you can buy for $30 shipped. Even though the tip was 4 inches wide it gave me a throaty/rasp sound for v6 which I had to get rid of it. I replaced it with my ol' Megan muffler. See pic below.

Well, that's it so far. I can't give you guys a longterm review until maybe summer 2010 on how this product holds up but I can tell you it change the response of the car. I liked it and for the money I saved I could focus on other stuff. Til next time...

awesome review, im going to purchase this for my 8g! does it come with the gaskets? What would you recommend for me to get the god damn rusted ass bolts off??
    Last edited by Galant Evolution; 12-28-2009 at 11:33 AM

I've been eyeing this exhaut for a while. I would most likely replace the muffler with the flat blak Vibrant. But my question is how big the diameter is because the listing says 2.5" but the picture says its 2.25"?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member
    The "95%" of people who are skeptical about a lot of this stuff just don't know any better, or understand most of the stuff is just a name stamped or associated with the material. Ebay has a lot of good stuff to offer for us and a heck of a lot cheaper. Most people stick to name brands because they think its better that way, but not too many of us are fans of dropping so much money on these things.

This exhaust had caught my eye a while ago, but I have never purchased it. The same can be said about the "no name" headers on Ebay which are also a heck of a lot cheaper and will likely give same results as the nam brand components.

You can turn this platform into a $50k project, or be smart about it and spend money wisely.

3G Eclipse Performance & Development - Denver, Colorado
    www.blackheartmotors.net

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    I've been eyeing this exhaut for a while. I would most likely replace the muffler with the flat blak Vibrant. But my question is how big the diameter is because the listing says 2.5" but the picture says its 2.25"?
    The 2.5" dia is likely the OD of the piping, and the 2.25" is the ID of the piping...just a guess but can't be sure unless G spot can confirm

www.blackheartmotors.net

that would be some thick as piping spd_frk 1/4in thick that's like ---- that thick more than it's probably just a type on the info but hopefully g-spot can confirm one way or the other
    Poison457
    99 ES 4G64 I4 189k miles and still going strong
    5spd, rear disk swaped,
    Quote Originally Posted by Abd al-Hazir View Post
    I am at a loss to explain the average skeleton's somewhat ludicrous mental predisposition, however. Perhaps the implausibility of its own existence makes the skeleton think it hilarious to hide in a barrel, cackling intermittently for some three hundred years until a victim happens by?

I forgot to confirm it, it is 2.5 inch piping from the outside but has another piping in the inside which is the 2.25 inches (and it comes with gaskets)
    Last edited by G-spot; 12-28-2009 at 01:45 PM

^^ thank you!

i've had mine for about 4 months now and it still looks good and sounds good. a lil raspy even with the silencer but i think its cuz of the obx header. i just started getting some vibration off the exhaust but i still cant figure out from where. other than that i think its actually pretty good.

i've had mine for about 3 months and still looks great, sounds decent like others said. no problems at all with mine

Experienced TGC Member
    I have the same one lol, It works fine no rasp at all on my 4cyl
    03 ES 5spd--Rota torque gloss black 17x8 et. 35--Hankook Ventus V12 evo 235/45/17--D2 coilovers--DC Sports STB--Intake--Brembo calipers--Powerslot Rotors--Stoptech Pads--SS brakes lines--35% tint--5k heads & 5k fogs--Alpine headunit--Kicker 400w amp--Alphasonix sub

can anyone share the best way to take off the horribly rusted bolts?

^^^ angle grinder.

And theres piping inside the piping?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

^^ thanks bro

^^^ angle grinder.

The stock piping has them too I guess it's for insulating heat and protection from rupture

Experienced TGC Member
    ^^^ angle grinder.

Not sure what the method of the internal piping is behind this specific design, but I know sometimes they use it for keeping the external stainless from discoloring so badly, and others use it for a different "engineering" aspect of the design. The AEM V2 CAI I believe is a similar design which uses an internal piping to achieve something better for the air flow...cant for the life of me remember the details of this though.

www.blackheartmotors.net

i thought the intakes use the inner piping for "charging" the air so it was more dense going into the engine. i guess that could be applied for leaving the engine as well?
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    thanx G-Spot, i was thinking of doing this same thing but ever had money

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

g-spot, does it come with the bolts that mount to the cat as well if i needed to cut the ones off from my cat? there pretty badd.

Quote Originally Posted by Galant Evolution View Post
    g-spot, does it come with the bolts that mount to the cat as well if i needed to cut the ones off from my cat? there pretty badd.
    It comes with bolts and everything you need to install

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast